Pennant wall hanging + tutorial

I got a new embroidery machine for Mother’s Day (which I promptly named Thread Astaire since he’ll be tapping the night away). It has a much larger hoop size compared to my old machine, so when I came across this ‘I’ll be in my office’ design shortly after getting Thread Astaire, I was excited to pick it up and determined for it to be my first large hoop project to break in my new machine.

Once, I had the design, I had to figure out what to do with it. I decided that a small wall hanging would be nice and after coming across this pinnie pennant, I decided to make my own version. I knew I wanted my fabric at the top of the flag to be made up of squares and opted for a bright rainbow color scheme to really make it pop. I found threads to match the rainbow fabric at the top and used them in the design to help integrate the colors throughout the flag. I then finished off the design by outlining the flag with a fun rainbow thread.

Below is a tutorial on how to create this (approximate) 10 x 13" flag (due to the bulk in the seam allowance, it’s more likely to be closer 9.75 x 12.75", this can be counteracted by adding an extra 1/8" of fabric to all sides, but for the sake of simplicity, I’ve left that extra 1/8" out of these calculations).
While writing this tutorial, I realized that I missed taking a lot of pictures along the way, so I’ve done my best to describe everything with words and the pictures I have. Please let me know if anything is unclear or if I missed a step or two.

Quick note before we start - You may notice that my flag is fairly wrinkly around the design. While some wrinkles are to be expected, I unintentionally made mine worse. Once I was finished with everything, I soaked the fabric and fusible fleece with water and attempted to steam the wrinkles away, which ended up creating more wrinklage than it got rid of. So, I highly suggest being much more gentle than me when ironing and steaming your fabric and fleece.

Flag supplies:
Background fabric - 10.5 x 11.5"
5 strips of 2.5 x 5.5" fabric for the top
Backing fabric - 10.5 x 11.5"
Fusible fleece - 10.5 x 11.5"
Dowel
Embroidery floss

Additional supplies:
Cutting mat
Rotary cutter
Quilt ruler
Sewing machine
Thread
Coffee

Cut your background fabric to 10.5 x 11.5" (I stitched out my design, then cut the fabric down to size).

Once you have your 10.5 x 11.5" background fabric cut, grab your ruler and measure 6.75" from the top. Make a small mark on the side of your fabric (I forgot to take a picture of this step, but you can still see the mark in the next step). After you’ve marked the fabric, you’re going to fold the fabric in half lengthwise and lay your ruler down going from the mark on the side, down to the middle point. Then use a rotary cutter and cut off the corners.

Now, set aside this main body and grab your 2.5 x 5.5" strips of fabric. Using a 1/4" seam allowance sew the strips together along their short sides. Here’s a cropped pic of the strips sewn together.

Next, grab the main body of the flag and line your strips up to the top of flag with the right side of the strips facing the right side of the flag. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew the strips to the top of the flag. Next, grab your fusible fleece and lay your wall hanging on top of it. Trim around the fusible fleece, so it’s roughly the same size as your wall hanging. Fuse the fleece to your flag following the fleece manufacturers instructions. Once the fleece is fused, use your ruler and rotary cutter to cut the fleece down to the same size as your flag. If your strips are slightly shorter than your flag, you can leave a little bit (less than 1/4") of fleece along the side of your strip to make it equal the size of your flag.

Next, lay your flag down on the backing fabric (the backing fabric should have the right side facing the cutting mat and the wrong side facing the back of the flag) and cut the backing fabric to the same size as your flag.
Now, place the trimmed backing fabric on top of your fleece fused flag with the right side of the backing fabric and the right side of your flag facing each other. Starting in the top right corner of the strips (so, starting by stitching down along the purple strip on mine) and making sure to back stitch at both the start and finish of this outline, you’re going to stitch down along the outer edge of the flag , back up to the strips and stop after sewing 3 strips closed, leaving a 4" opening to turn the flag right side out (you can see where I left my opening in the picture below, it’s where the white thread is in the top right hand of the colored strips). Now you’ll reach into the flag and flip it right side out. Using something similar to a chopstick, gently poke out all the corners and edges of your flag. Turn in the seams of the opening in the top right corner and stitch it shut (I used white thread since this will be on the back of the flag and won’t be seen). Now grab your iron and press down all those seams.

Next, stitch along the edge of your flag to give it a finished look. I topstitched a 1/4" in from the edge. I stitched along the sides of my inside strips and then starting at the top of the pink strip, I outlined the entire flag. I then stitched the line along the top inside the background fabric.
Once you’re happy with your top stitching, fold over the strips on the top, creating 2" squares and stitch 1/4" up from the bottom of your strips, making sure to stitch through the back of the strips at the same time.

You now have the pocket for your dowel. I cut mine so that there would be 1" of dowel showing on either side of the flag and finished it off by tying some embroidery floss to hang the flag with.

20 Likes

Thread Astiar! Hilarious! The bunting is great. The design is neat and I love the fabric you used for the rainbow pocket for the dowel.

3 Likes

That is just gorgeous! How do you get the embroidery to relax back flat again? Is it ironing or the fusable fleece?

1 Like

Love the design! And the name:

Thread Astaire since he’ll be tapping the night away…

is truly inspired!

2 Likes

This is so cute! And I love the rainbow thread you used, amazing choice to go with the rainbow fabric!

1 Like

Absolutely stunning my friend!

1 Like

Thank you, everyone!

It was the fusible fleece. When I originally fused the embroidered design to the fleece (before I went crazy with the water and steam), I applied pressure while ironing and did my best to iron the wrinkles toward the edges (I pretty much used the same technique as I would for applying vinyl and pushing any bubbles to the outer edges).

1 Like

Ha! I love a good pun

And I :heart::heart::heart: this design

1 Like

Great tutorial, and very pretty, cheery pennant! Love the name, “Thread Astaire”!

2 Likes

Love this style of pennant! The rainbow patchwork top is inspired. What an excellent first “large hoop” project for your new machine!

2 Likes

Also, I’m now feeling neglectful that I hadn’t named my embroidery machine. My sewing machine is Rosie, because she’s a Viking Rose model. What to name my embroidery buddy???

2 Likes

You got me thinking, my new embroidery machine is the only one of my machines that has a name…

1 Like

Thread Astaire!! :heart::grin::heart:

And what an awesome project for his opening act!

2 Likes

:zap: :bulb: :dizzy: WOOHOO!!! Your awesome craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :zap: :bulb: :dizzy:

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:.

1 Like

This is sweet. I really like it! Especially the pink sewing machine with the golden scroll-work. And you are right. Your rainbow header pops it! You have just the right number of panels. Some people may have chosen a color but yours is a perfect design entirely with the white background. Coordination in small ways, like top-stitching in the fun rainbow thread, gives a great sense of satisfaction and neatly ties it all together.

P.S. I see that your embroidery floss hanger is variegated also. Smart lady!

I’m happy that you got Thread Astaire for Mother’s Day. Maybe you can sew a machine cover and embroider his name on it.

I chose a quilting machine so that I could do mini quilting projects. I saw the embroidery machines but could not find one in that price point that did both. Maybe I’ll get one because your design is so cute and I want to try some projects. It will give me an excuse to buy another machine. But…I really don’t need an excuse, do I? :wink:

1 Like

I love this so much, and it made me chuckle, lol! (literally lol’ing here). I am also amused that your inspiration to create an office sign came from someone whose last name is Staples—Staples is a popular office supply store here in Canada.

I love the flag, design, colours, and the story behind creating it. And I didn’t notice the wrinkles until you pointed them out :slight_smile:

Totally unrelated, but I wanted to share how much I like that you can navigate away from the pages on this site many times, and it never loses your post drafts :heart:

1 Like

what an awesome sign! Love the step by step photo process.

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind words!

You should do it!! There are sooo many fun designs out there! I am currently finishing up what has proven to be my favorite project ever, it’s called the Candy Corn Quilt Shoppe and is a fun Halloween wall quilt made up of embroidered blocks. I’ve been working on them (I’m making 2) for the past two years and am hoping to have them finished by the end of September.

A few years ago, I had been using an embroidery machine with a 4x4" hoop and decided to get a larger machine because I was stitching out g-tube pads and wanted to be able to make more than one at a time in a single hooping. I knew that I would use the larger machine (it had a 5x7" hoop) for a lot more than g-tube pads, but I had no idea how much that larger machine would be a game changer. I have made so many fun and creative projects with my 5x7" machine (including the Candy Corn Quilt Shoppe, which was all done on that machine). Machine embroidery definitely opened up a whole new world of creativity for me, which is why I would definitely suggest getting an embroidery machine!

1 Like