Pincushion/thread catcher

With the same fabric used to cover this basket (because I have yards of the stuff!), I finally made myself the pincushion/thread catcher I’ve been wanting for years!

I’m quite pleased with how it turned out. As the weight, I used a very heavy rusty old piece of iron I bought from a friend’s junk shop years ago, wrapped in duct tape to keep the fabric from staining.
I drafted the pattern as I went along and yes, I did ask my mister to drive to the grocery shop at 9:30 last night so I could find the perfect bucket of ice cream to cut up for the circle that keeps the basket part open :laughing:. This is life when you live with a midnight crafter, he is very accommodating :sparkling_heart:.

It fits perfectly in the little space between sewing table and wall. I am SO happy to have it because during the making of it I hadn’t anywhere to put pins, threads and snips of fabric and I was thinking the entire time how I was looking so forward to finally having this done!

26 Likes

You are really going to town with that beautiful fabric! It is very handy to have a basket or bin next to the machine to collect trash and scraps!

You still have yards left? What will you make next? Can’t wait to see?

I am going to draft out a pattern for my sewing chair…I need a place to keep a handy sewing reference book and a book of current patterns and templates…@wendiek gave me a few links to make this!

3 Likes

Oh, that’s beautiful - and suuuuper handy! I really love how you’re keeping the top of the basket open, and got ice cream out of the deal, too. :rofl:

2 Likes

What a pretty and great pincushion/thread catcher! Great work!
Love the colours so much!

@AIMR can’t wait to see what you will come up with!
You are with me when I’m sewing, I use the pincushion you made for me in a swap years ago (I believe the Junker Jane swap).

YAY!! for LC craftsters!! :orange_heart:

3 Likes

I love this style of pin cushion/scrap bag. And yay for matching crafty accessories!

2 Likes

Gorgeous fabric and absolutely stellar thread bag/cushion! I love that you used an ice cream rim to keep the bag open. That is brilliant, and kudos to the mister for venturing out to get it for you. The iron bit will definitely keep the pincushion from relocating.

1 Like

Thanks everybody! Ya, I could put a kitty in that basket and it wouldn’t budge! I think that slab of metal weighs about 10lbs, lol.

That’s so pretty!

I made one several years ago and raided my hubby’s shop for weight … 3 heavy washers did the trick for me.

1 Like

Super pretty! I have a similar set up made for me years ago in an IYP swap and it’s sooooo handy.

1 Like

That is amazing! And saves all the little bits from winding up on the floor/dogs

1 Like

Oh, I’ve been wanting something like that, too!

Yours turned out fabulous! And ice cream buckets for the win!

3 Likes

It’s half full of threads & shreds already :smile:

That container had exactly the right strength to hold the basket open & flexibility to bend & fit between table & wall, perfection!

If I were to do it again, I’d opt for an oval pincushion shape instead of rectangle. Just for looks.

2 Likes

Beauty and function in one! You found the perfect bits to use in this project.

1 Like

If I saw this, randomly, somewhere, I would immediately think of you. You couldn’t have found a better, more cheerful fabric to stab many times as a pincushion! I love the acid black flecks that shows so well on the scrap catcher. Lovely!

:metal:

1 Like

I have found it most useful so far! And, typically, I used it for an off purpose last night, haha. I squooshed a glued thing to hold it flatly in place while drying. Multi-multi-purpose!

1 Like

Oooh pretty, that fabric is gorgeous. And I love the ice-cream circle