Mushroom pin cushion jar

I recently made a pincushion/threadcatcher that sits beside the sewing machine and is most handy but sort of stationary due to the weight. I wanted something I could move around to wherever I’m working. Last summer a friend gave me this jar that we both thought looked a bit like a mushroom base. Extra bonus, it’s exactly the right size for my special button collection.

Inside the lid is a cut out from a card that came in a swap, I think this one was from you @Reinikka?

If you’d like to make something similar, I cut a circle 2" larger than the jar lid.

Then used a dress makering trick, sewing 3 close together rows of stitches right next to the edge of the fabric with the stitch tension set very low. Knot all the threads on one side.

Carefully pull the loose threads in a bunch and evenly distribute the gathers. Knot when the correct size, trim the thread ends.

I glued a piece of cardboard on the lid ring, stuffed with fiber fill, and used E-6000 glue to attach the gathered edge of the fabric to the lid ring, held in place with clothes pins and a wide rubber band.

Once dry, I trimmed the edge and glued on a strip of lace with a button sewn on.

22 Likes

Super cute!!! And love your button collection.

4 Likes

It’s adorable!! So you!

2 Likes

I love this so much! I, too, am a fan of the polkadot mushroom. I’ve been meaning to make a pin cushion like this and now I think I might go to the mushroom route. Imitation is a form of flattery, right?

Right?

3 Likes

Cutest thing I’ve seen today!

2 Likes

Pretty and practical - I love the vintage-y feel of the polka dot fabric.

2 Likes

Thanks all! I am very happy with it, it makes me smile every time I see it sitting on my desk :slight_smile:

RIGHT! Want some of my fabric? I have lots, I’d be happy to cut you a circle and pop it into the mail.

3 Likes

You’re on a roll! You’re going to be so organized you won’t recognize yourself. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I too, am a fan of buttons and of the white and red mushrooms! This is so cute, and so easy to make it seems. TY for sharing!

1 Like

you need tiny little Mario straight pins.

5 Likes

Ooh, triple gathers! Fancy!

I like the button jar/mobile pin cushion concept for utility as well as cuteness. :grinning:

1 Like

Awww! Super duper cute!

1 Like

I do have shrinky paper that has been sitting in stash for EVERORB! Hmmm…

LOL :smile:, this is how we learned to do it in fashion design college. Mostly applicable for easing in shoulder seams or princess bust lines but I have found it very handy for gathers of all sorts.

2 Likes

I think double gathers are the norm (though, uh, possibly you should laugh at me for thinking I know what’s normal!), but I can see how a third thread would help with precision for something this small. :grin:

1 Like

Ohhh… that is such a lovely offer! Is there something crafty you’ve been hunting for that maybe I might have to trade? PM me and we can chit-chat…

2 Likes

That teacher was really persnickety so maybe it is usually done with only 2 lines of stitching. I do notice a difference with 3 though, it’s easier to get things even and they stay in place quite well. It is also really easy to sew over a line though and that ruins everything, ha!

@AntBee I will message you!

3 Likes

'Shroomies galore! I always appreciate items both fun AND functional!

1 Like

So super cute!

1 Like

Cute!!! I love that you found a use for the card :smile: (and yes, that was from me :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Ack! Cute AND useful!

1 Like