Plague Doctor - F&T 2020 Q4 Contest Entry

When my son wanted to be the Plague Doctor for Halloween this year, I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to pull it off. I was so worried I’d fail at the mask that I had several contingency plans ready to go. But in the end, I think it came out ok!

I started with the mask because I was so worried about it. I used the simplified version of this pattern. I used duck canvas cloth which I think helped give the stiffness I needed for the top half of the mask and I added a bit of fusible web to give it a little something extra. Here’s a peek of that before I sewed it to the lining.

I diverged from the pattern when it came to the eyes and lenses. I didn’t even want to attempt all that fiddly-ness. I managed to scavenge the red circle lenses from an old pair of new years even glasses. I added some felt circles to the inside and outside edges and secured it all with a little glue - done!

I more or less used this pattern for the caplet. Mr. Road fashioned the clasp out of copper pieces.

The hat is cardboard, tape, and paint.

Full disclosure: I did NOT make the robe (don’t ask about my failed attempt, please), the pouch (impulse buy at the Halloween store), or the cane base. I did make the cane topper. It’s just cardboard and some cork disks, all painted black. Here’s a pic before I painted:

The robe is a little big on him. We’re already plotting how we can use it in next year’s costume…

Thanks for looking! :black_heart: :jack_o_lantern: :black_heart:

30 Likes

Super cool costume. I love the staff topper too!

1 Like

This came out so awesome!

1 Like

This is so rad!

1 Like

That turned out so rad!!

1 Like

Soooo great! Well done :smiley:

1 Like

Very cool! Bet he loved it!

1 Like

Thanks guys!

1 Like

You nailed it!

1 Like

this is the best! I bet he got lots of compliments!

1 Like

His friends thought it was pretty cool! :smile:

1 Like

Congratulations! :tada: This awesome project is a Featured Project this week!

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you! Kiddo is stoked! :laughing:

this is such a great costume!!

1 Like