Pumpkin Chili

Found the recipe online a couple of months ago and decided to give it a whirl. Even though I’m not crazy about chili…or pumpkin, I decided to give it a try. (Also not a huge fan of tomatoes and this has no tomato at all.)

It was fantastic! A+++
It will now be a go-to recipe for fall.

Pumpkin Chili
Ingredients:
2 lbs ground pork or chicken
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (I add at least a tablespoon of the sauce also)
Optional: 1-3 carrots, pared and sliced
29 ounces 100% pure pumpkin purée (1 can)
2 bottles hard cider (12-ounce bottles)
2 cans kidney beans, drained (15-oz cans)
1 cup chicken broth
2.5 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-2 bay leaves
Optional toppings: sour cream, cilantro, red onion

Instructions:

1. Place a large pot over medium heat. Add the ground pork or chicken. Break into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, chipotle peppers, and carrots (if using). Cook until meat is browned and onions are soft.

2. Pour into the pot the pumpkin purée, hard cider, beans, and chicken broth. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and bay leaves. Stir well.

3. Simmer for at least 30 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Serve warm with toppings if desired.

Recipe is from the website A Spicy Perspective. I had posted this in the “what are you working on?” thread but did not create a separate thread for it until now.

10 Likes

Yummy!

My husband and I both seem to be having tummy issues with tomatoes, so this would be a nice alternative to chili, which we love!

It does look good…thanks for sharing…I will definitely give this one a try!

1 Like

Sounds yummy!

1 Like

Mmmm…sounds like a wonderfully warming dish!

1 Like

I would have never thought to use pumpkin in chili. It sounds really tasty though and like a nice, comforting fall meal! Could you taste any pumpkin flavor, or did the flavors all meld together?

1 Like

I sent it to my man asap, I would eat that! Just gotta figure out which hard cider, some are pretty sweet.

1 Like

The pumpkin gets totally transformed…I don’t like pumpkin at all, but I love this chili! Maybe barely a hint of pumpkin taste, if that. You don’t taste the cider, either.

1 Like

Looks yummy! Now I’m hungry - again.

1 Like

okay, I don’t like pumpkin but this looks quite yummy. Gonna have to give this a try, thanks for the recipe!

1 Like

Me too not a lover of pumpkin. I prefer sweet potato/yam. I wonder how it would be with the substitution. The ingredients sound delicious. Other than Wendy’s, like you I never liked chili much either, especially those big beans. I’d probably significantly reduce the beans and add more meat.

Thanks for sharing this truly try something new recipe! Nice photos.

1 Like

Oh, I thought I’d update this to add I’m not wild for kidney beans, so recently I’ve been substituting black beans. You could probably use whatever type of bean you prefer.

2 Likes

One day I’ll try black-eyed peas. I seem to like them more than any other type of bean.