Quilt-along 2021

I like your dark background fabric! Nice job downsizing!

1 Like

Oh my goodnessā€¦ isnā€™t that just the cutest? Yes, it is!

Iā€™m amazed at how many of Febā€™s BOM have been submitted so far!

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing! February just arrived yesterday, but it brought multiple blocks along with it! I love seeing all the different variations!

1 Like

I think a lot of us love hearts!

1 Like

I, marionberries , hereby submit my February BOM

I sized to a 9 inch block and I am going to have sashing in between. But I calculated the HST wrong. And I had used the last scrap of one of the fabrics. So I scrounged and found another scrap to use. Redo the heart. Add the sides and done.

And I modified the mistake blockā€¦now itā€™s actually matches the pattern better! I like them both, happy hearts.

10 Likes

nice saveā€¦I like the floral design with the dots!

1 Like

I am also amazed at how many February BOM are already done! Itā€™s only the second, people! Youā€™re all so fast! XD And they all look great, too, and so drastically different with the different patterns/colors. :slight_smile:

That being said, Iā€™m really not much of a heart person myself, so I think Iā€™ll try the economy block or something for myself this month. It wonā€™t be a BOM but it will go with my first block so I can try to make a whole quilt with the yearā€™s BOMs! :slight_smile: I think I need more greens and purplesā€¦

3 Likes

Wow. These blocks are amazingā€¦I feel overwhelmed by all of your precision.
But I love looking at pretty things. So thanks for all the inspo.

3 Likes

I, poetrylover828 , hereby submit my February BOM

I had fun making this block. But I did modify the bottom point by making a flying goose block rather than the half square triangles. My mom I think got the clock fabric in a swap or maybe while shopping. I just know that I snatched it up and saved it for something fun.

7 Likes

Question: How much will it affect my quilt if I throw in a few pieces of random fabric from my stash that is definitely NOT quilting cotton?

1 Like

As long as you interface it so that it stays I think it should work. The biggest problem with knits or anything that stretches is that it will look puckered if not made stable (thatā€™s why in T-shirt quilts interfacing the shirts is super important)

Iā€™m not sure about silkier fabrics tho

1 Like

Thanks! I think most of mine are the slightly stretchy type. So I should put interfacing on the back of those pieces before I use them? Sorry; I am a complete and utter beginner. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah I would use something somewhat light weight a SF101 or shape flex are both good.

1 Like

Iā€™m loving all the variations of the heart block.

5 Likes

I love how your blocks turned out!

You mentioned the fill-a-yard option from Spoonflower a while back, I think, and Iā€™m so glad that you did. I am making I Spy quilts for three of my grandnephews, and I needed different fabrics (lots of them). The fill-a-yard panels were a life-saver! I canā€™t wait til they get here.

3 Likes

Not an actual quilt, but definitely quilt & craft relatedā€¦ I made a Quilting themed charm bracelet that I thought you guys might like to see. I loved making this one.

6 Likes

Me, too! And, since I donā€™t have any pinks/reds/purples in my color scheme, it makes me happy to see other colors being used. I think I might have to use greenā€¦ since I love green :slight_smile:

1 Like

Use any color, hearts come in all shapes and colors! Iā€™m following a color theme so I can have a quilt for the new 3 season porch someday. But I am running out of navies and aqua/turquoise/teal colors. So I might make a trip to look for some fat quarters to fill things out a bit.

I cut all the squares for my next lap quilt, all came from stash for that one as well as numerous charm packs acquired over the years. I just need to get started on the sewing.

Butā€¦I designed a house block to go with the BOMs. Ignore the additional lines, they are for visualization, Iā€™ll probably make it up as I go, but this gives me window, door, and solar panel sizes to shoot for. I think Iā€™m procrastinating on starting the new lap quilt.

4 Likes

Testing out another way of piecing multiple HSTā€™s.

5 Likes

Ooh let me know how it goes. The BOM and economy blocks seems to have cured my aversion to triangles.

2 Likes