Quilt-along 2021

I vote 2…my eyes like a bit of “off”

The twos have it!

Annie’s Choice Block, made with 2 sets of the Easy 8 HST method.

10 Likes

Beautiful…I am loving the more geometric blocks…they go together so nicely…I have to try this one

1 Like

@MistressJennie, It sparkles!

Question for you Quilty Gurus:
Does a white, fuzzy batting (of unknown fiber) get too old fo use if it sits in one’s stash for, ohhh, I don’t know… let’s say 20 years, for kicks? It kind of looks like the fake “snow” sheets one would use under a ceramic christmas village display.

I probably have batting older than that…but I use it for small projects that have a short life…like coasters that I constantly make for my brother because he loses them or his friends “accidentally” take them home!

I also save batting scraps and tear them into shreds to use as stuffing…burn a tiny piece over your sink…if it melts, it is synthetic and will never die…if it burns, it is probably wool or cotton…I am guessing it is synthetic and should be fine, but not sure I would use it for a quilt

1 Like

I guess it would depend on the fiber, what you want to use it for, and if there’s anything visibly wrong with it. I’m guessing if you don’t know the fiber, you probably don’t have the packaging? Batting is generally a few types: 100% cotton, 100% polyester, or a cotton-poly blend. Knowing what it’s made from can help you with washing & care of whatever you’re making, but if you’re making something like a mug rug rather than a bed quilt, it shouldn’t matter too much. The only real problem I can see, is if it’s 20 years old, it might have taken on some storage smells, and those could persist into the finished item. But if it looks okay (no big visible questionable stains or anything), and smells fine, go with it.

1 Like

Thanks, guys! That helps. You rock!

5 Likes

I usually just melt it with a hot iron by mistake!

This helpful, I get a lot of donations and you just don’t know the content. And I’ve had fabric in stash that I don’t even remember where or when it snuck in.

4 Likes

After I watched last night’s SNL on YouTube this morning, YouTube suggested I would like a video of a scrap quilt. Since I still had tea left to drink, I watched it. But the pattern designer/host of the video says she doesn’t actually like the look of scrappy quilts (saying they can often be ‘crappy’), so she’s just going to make it with a jelly roll. But she named her pattern ‘The Scraptastic Quilt’. The pattern was perfectly nice, but I kinda just wanted to shout at the monitor, ‘How can you call it scraptastic, while hating scraps and not using them?’ :woman_facepalming:

Here’s the video. What do you guys think?

Ugh, do I hafta watch it? I already think she’s a fool…

Ah, I get it. She’s selling fabric and kits. It turned out nice looking but for so many of us here it’s actually the entire point to use scraps to make beautiful things.

5 Likes

I am wondering why anyone who really enjoys making anything would even put down any other kind of project…why not just tout your own style instead of even calling names? I don’t like people like that…

5 Likes

I Homerof2 offer Florence Flamingo for my small challenge entry

Her own post is here … Florence

13 Likes

This so cute, that flamigo has personality.

1 Like

I love her and your cow!

1 Like

So cute!

1 Like

I’m still on the economy block train. Made 12 today. They are 6.5" finished and I’m am bit stumped in terms of how many to do. I’m thinking of 8*10 blocks, for a decent lap quilt size. What do you all think?

11 Likes

Your fabric/color combinations are absolutely stunning. So beautiful! And wow, those points are so amazingly perfect!

My vote goes for this one! Both are beautiful though :slight_smile:

Florence is adorable!!!

I’m loving the variety of fun prints you’re showcasing in the middle of the economy blocks. You’re inspiring me to make a quilt like that to show off some of my favorite prints too!

2 Likes

It’s a fun pattern, but it grows slowly!

2 Likes