Quiltalong - 2022

I still think it’s very fast, this looks like a very labour intensive top and I can easily take months to complete a baby quilt.

I boxed up most of my quilting supplies yesterday. Today Mr Imma is away and it will probably be the last day in a while I’ll have my sewing machine on the dining table. I have three quilting projects laying around that I didn’t pack up: two finished tops for baby quilts + backing & batting already cut to size, and the last bits for my animal butts quilt. Half of the animal butts blocks are already finished, the other fabrics are all cut in the right sizes already. It’d be great if I could finish those two small quilts today and have the other top completed before I box them up as well.

Only thing is, the baby quilts were supposed to go to charity but the local charity I had planned to donate them to has stopped accepting anything handmade. This charity provides pregnant women who are struggling financially with a baby starter kit full of clothing, diapers, a few more expensive essentials such as a thermometer, and until recently, a handmade quilt, plus a voucher for another kit when the child is 18 months. So I’ll need to figure out where to donate them now. I’m not comfortable just throwing them in a donation bin somewhere and hope they end up in the right place.

5 Likes

Maybe you could do like BeaG did when she was looking to send cards to local refugee families and contact a local social services office to see if they would accept them for families they are assisting who are struggling this winter?

3 Likes

That’s a great idea! Our city council has a whole department that deals with Ukrainian refugees. Most of those are in accomodation ran by the city so the city should have first hand information on what they need!

Several churches here have donation bins for clothing and textiles but I happen to know those are sold for rags so that’s not an option. I’ve also been in touch with the local homeless shelter but they only need menswear. We are emptying our entire house so we’ve been donating lots of things lately.

4 Likes

Or contact a domestic violence refuge in your area, they might love something for women who have had to leave home with nothing.

3 Likes

Yes, I was thinking a social service office might have a variety of leads including that avenue as well.

2 Likes

Another option you may want to look into is the local NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) or PICU (Pediatric ICU) - do they go by the same acronyms where you are?

1 Like

Yes, they’re called the same here, and one of the 6 NICU’s in my country is even in my city. But they don’t seem to take any donations of things. I think it’s maybe a cultural difference that donations here are usually cash-based instead of stuff-based. Especially handmade stuff is sometimes difficult to donate, so I think I’m just going to stop that after these ones are finished and given away. It seems that one charity was the only one here that accepted a lot of handmade items and they probably have a good reason why they stopped. I wanted to donate baby quilts in particular because I still have quite some baby quilt fabrics in stash and most of our friends are done having kids.

I’ve spent some time googling tonight and for the things I have on offer I’ve found the e-mailadress of a social worker responsible for all the needs of the Ukrainian refugee community, and another social worker who deals with the needs of men in the homeless shelter as well as women and children in the domestic violence refuge (the donations are processed through the the men’s shelter as their own building is in a secret location). They’ve warned in advance they don’t take most stuff they’re offered so I hope either one of them will want my quilts!

3 Likes

Maybe a hospital or church has a holiday fund raiser they take donations for? I sent some fabric bags to a local place here this year & am thinking about crafting for that all year.

3 Likes

Lots of places might be interested in a raffle or auction to raise money.

I attended a silent auction where there was everything from handknit goods to pottery as well as baskets with things handmade in them.

I have donated aprons to be put into food baskets; dog bandanas, etc. I am sure someplace would love a quilt.

You just have to know that the price will depend on who shows up and really wants it. I have seen quilts auctioned from $25 to $10,000.

2 Likes

I know it’s probably not feasible for you, since you’re not in the US, but Quilts for Kids takes handmade (100% cotton) quilts, and distributes them to seriously ill children in hospitals. The kids aren’t allowed to bring their favorite stuffed animals during often long hospital stays, because they cannot be washed and dried on high heat in the hospital, so QfK gives all cotton quilts which can be washed and sanitized. I’ve donated to them several times, and they do great work.

6 Likes

-I marionberries submit this as my December BOM entry.

marionberries , offer scrappy lap full of love quilt (posted earlier) for December prompt. This could have gone in any category, but since it was a donated quilt, it brought me and the recipient much joy.

6 Likes

I’ve made some progress on my quilt, I have 2 more blocks to make, then sashing, putting together etc.

5 Likes

We’re settled into our rental house, and technically I have my machine here. (It’s a computerized machine, so we didn’t want to put it in the storage unit, in subzero weather.) But I really don’t have a way to cut anything and actually sew with it. (The rotary cutter and cutting mat did go into storage.)

That somehow didn’t stop me from picking up a bundle of 20 rainbow fat quarters from Darn Good Yarn. In my defense, the bundle as on sale for $48, but there is a coupon code running for an extra 60% off that, and I get 10% off everything for being a member of their yarn subscription, so I got the bundle for about $17.60. #NoRegrets

9 Likes

So glad that you are settled in a bit before the holidays!

4 Likes

I’m so glad you’re in your new house, moving sucks and not having access to craft supplies sucks even more.

But that is some bargain on those FQ

So did Santa bring anyone done nice new shiny quilting tools? I got a couple of charm packs and a book on sashiko stitching-i know it’s not quilting, but it would be cool to incorporate some into blocks. And I treated myself to a Martelli ergonomic rotary cutter-which once our customs release it, I will get to play with it.

@AudiobookLover are we having a new thread for 2023? Or going to continue on this one?

5 Likes

I, AIMR, offer this as my LATE August BOM…this one is my favorite this year!

10 Likes

I, AIMR, offer this as my December BOM. I kept messing up so I actually got 3 blocks done that are sort of whirlwind…lol

These are the ones that I arranged “differently”…lol

I now have 11 blocks, so I am going to make one more for this quilt and one for my red, white and blue charity quilt. I still have June and Nov blocks left before the New Year!

9 Likes

Love that August block! Wow!

That’s where I left off too. I think I might try to get some sewing in this week… :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I am going to use my Gustaf Klimt fat quarters for next year, so I am working to use up this batik set as much as I can. I have a friend who loves the berry colors, so it would be nice to get it done for her birthday in April!

3 Likes

This one is such an eye catcher, wow. The off-set center & star arms, so engaging!