Quiltalong - 2023

Very interesting technique…loved how the quilt top turns out!

1 Like

It would make a great leaders and Enders project

1 Like

Look what just arrived…

10 Likes

Ooh, I can’t wait to see what you make.

1 Like

Fun times ahead

1 Like

Ooh, pretty sure this wordy banner counts for the April applique prompt, better late than never!
It’s a cheaty sort of reverse applique that only works for some letters but I was pretty happy it worked out at all :smile:, I wasn’t sure it would.

I need to watch some quilting videos, I don’t understand how templates work yet. I’m sure it makes things easier, or even possible. I’m such a lazy quilter when it comes to technique & precision.

6 Likes

It’s not laziness…it is your style and you have picked projects that match that! I love the wonky and the scrappy!

2 Likes

Second Quarter Goals List
-Complete a memory quilts for my cousin Jessica, of her son’s clothes.
-Complete a matching memory quilt for Jake’s stepmom.
-Complete 12 blocks with my hand dyed cottons from DGY.
-Complete the DGY quilt.
-Create a block that uses crumb/scrap piecing.
-Create a simple quilt to donate to my husband’s Family Reunion raffle.
-Finish setting up my temporary studio!

6 Likes

I was testing out some block patters. Ended up making this Fancy Star Block. That takes me up to 7 full size finished blocks, and 1 smaller block I’m attempting to make bigger to fit in.

Annoyingly it left me with 4 HST’s, 4 large triangles, and 4 small triangles. Now I’m trying to make them into a useful block….

8 Likes

Star Puzzle. It’s normally made with 3 colors, biUt I was trying to use up leftovers, so mine is more colorful. I made it from a new book, but here’s a tutorial:

And a video:

9 Likes

Really pretty star!

1 Like

@MistressJennie Way to use leftovers, both stars are wonderful. Those soft colors are to die for.

4 Likes

I am itching to get to my sewing machine. And I have three glorious empty days to start tomorrow. I couldn’t do today because of no electricity. But I’m recovered enough to dive in tomorrow.

I found this awesome collection of free quilt patterns.

https://jinnybeyer.com/product-category/free-patterns/page/5/

But I’m torn between a rainbow lone star like this http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/prismatic-star/ (but I refuse to pay $40 for a digital download, I’ll figure out something close)

Or the gypsy wife quilt. (Ditto) from reading blogs, the pattern is apparently poorly explained. I might just use it as a jumping off point.

https://www.stitchedincolor.com/blog/2019/5/6/freespirit-gypsy-wife-a-finished-quilt?format=amp

5 Likes

@Edel, Jordan Fabrics has a free Lone Star pattern.

1 Like

Made the Woven Star block, which left me with a bunch of scrap triangles.

Turned the leftovers into a small Star block. Then added two frames to make it fit with my other blocks.

And when I made the Snail Trail block last week, I was accidentally reading the cutting directions for the wrong size block, so I had a bunch of 2” squares in green and lilac, so I turned those into a 9” Woven Heart block, then set it on point and added background to make it 12.5”.

I’m up to 10 blocks!

12 Likes

Thanks sweetie, that’s perfect

1 Like

How many are you planning? And I hope you’re going to keep this quilt for yourself, it’s going to be fabulous

1 Like

I’m going for 12 or 16, to make a 3x4 or 4x4 layout. I figure I’ll get to 12 and see what I have left of my scraps to decide if I can make more. I think I have 3 fat quarters that are untouched. Most are about half gone, and a couple are nothing but crumbs.

2 Likes

Improvised Flying Geese block. That makes 11.

11 Likes

Beautiful!! This quilt is going to be so gorgeous.

3 Likes