Quiltalong - 2023

I’ve done partial seams before. They are really not that difficult at all. But, I still have to look at a tutorial because it is not something I remember.

I will have to look through past quilt blocks from the dead place…I know I have patterns that use this technique.

Can’t wait to start on it!

3 Likes

This month’s prompt - or skill challenge, since our prompts this year are about learning (or just practicing) new skills - is a fun one:

Foundation Paper Piecing!

Think of all the quilts you can tackle with this month’s skill!

February Prompt
Foundation Paper Piecing:

Explore the unlimited possibilities of foundation paper piecing (FPP). "According to this article on how to foundation paper piece, “Foundation paper piecing is when the outline of a quilt block is printed on a paper foundation and fabric is sewn together on the paper using the outline as a sewing guide. When the block is complete the paper foundation is removed.” Make a block using the FPP method. Who knows? Maybe that block will be the foundation of your next big project!

Foundations of foundation paper piecing

Free FPP patterns:
Wombat Quilts (includes the star pattern above)
Simple Simon and Co. (includes the diamond pattern above)
Carol Doak (includes the cat in a pumpkin pattern above)

8 Likes

I did some foundation paper piecing in the past…I do find it challenging and fun!

11 Likes

Wow! It looks like there was a lot of piecing involved. Those are both really impressive!

3 Likes

I haven’t finished my X-files quilt because there are two blocks that have to be paper pieced or appliqued. Maybe this will kick my butt to get them done!

7 Likes

Monster paper piecing, just in time for Monster Jam '23!

3 Likes

Fun paper piecing @AIMR .

I have also done paper piecing in the past. I find it very challenging as my dyslexia fights back. Once I get my mind wrenched around to the right mindset, it goes easier.

Here’s some of mine (then I stopped except for small quilt block piecing). And if either of the lucky recipients are out there, where. Another issue I have is remembering names. Sigh.

Kanga

And Unicorn Snorts
Unicorn

14 Likes

Mine were for a swap…I have always wondered how these things are quilted.

So, mostly outlining the image and then quilting the background…very nice work!

3 Likes

Unicorn Snorts! I remember you…

I feel like I must have seen progress on this at some point…but I can’t remember. I’m so intrigued!

3 Likes

lol It has been in progress for a few years…I hand embroidered all the blocks but got stuck at the paper piecing one and the applique…

3 Likes

Look what I got with my prize and some Amazon rewards points!!

A slotted quilting ruler! It came with a six page instruction booklet that I really want to read NOW, but I must get some deadline tax stuff done first…argh…well, anyway, thanks, @AudiobookLover for getting me to push the “buy” button at last!

9 Likes

Great choice! I have a similar ruler and it is by far one of the best tools I own!

2 Likes

I am working on two art quilt squares for a group quilt. Scrappy versions! I love these and will post when I get them done. A Spirit Doll for an art show is taking up way too much time right now. The very special ones do. But they are a labor of love. Theme is Community of Earth. Rather broad so lot’s of options.

5 Likes

@marionberries, I enjoy your art quilt creations - the seagull mug rug instantly jumps to mind! I’m looking forward to seeing what you create!

I am working on outlining some appliquéd letters on a quilt. It is taking me for…ever and causing me both shoulder and wrist pain. I assume it’s from being hunched over and twisting the quilt this way and that as I stitch each letter - but that really doesn’t seem like it would hurt my wrist, so :woman_shrugging:. It’s probably a good thing it’s just a small wall quilt! This is my first time doing this kind of outline stitch and I like the effect it’s creating (I just wish it wasn’t taking me so long)!

9 Likes

I tendstowardschaos, offer 25 split star quilt squares for my small personal finish.

I tendstowardschaos, offer Star Wars and Scraps for my large personal finish.

12 Likes

I love those split stars…I need a few more blocks to finish a Wounded Warrior Quilt.

And your scrappy quilt is just incredible! I love the way you quilted it. The border really does quiet down the many colors of the scrappy interior.

3 Likes

Thanks!

The split stars are this year’s QOVF block drive pattern. I was just going to send them to the drive, but I found out that they prefer solids/mostly solids after I had purchased the fabric. So, I plan to turn it into a quilt and donate it, completed, to my local group.

I wanted the quilt to be fluffier than what I normally make, since it’s wool. It should end up being a good, Winter-weight quilt…just in time for Spring, lol.

5 Likes

@AudiobookLover the letters look wonderful. And they are a pain to stitch especially when wrestling a quilt

@tendstowardschaos that block is stunning. I live the fabrics. And that scrappy quilt looks so comfy.

3 Likes

I got waaaay behind on this thread, I haven’t participated this year but still look and read everything.

Foundation paper piecing is one of my favourite methods! The detail you can obtain in a quilt is unreal. I’ve made many, mostly for swaps but I kept pictures of them all.

4 Likes