Quiltalong - 2023

@MistressJennie Way to use leftovers, both stars are wonderful. Those soft colors are to die for.

4 Likes

I am itching to get to my sewing machine. And I have three glorious empty days to start tomorrow. I couldn’t do today because of no electricity. But I’m recovered enough to dive in tomorrow.

I found this awesome collection of free quilt patterns.

https://jinnybeyer.com/product-category/free-patterns/page/5/

But I’m torn between a rainbow lone star like this http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/prismatic-star/ (but I refuse to pay $40 for a digital download, I’ll figure out something close)

Or the gypsy wife quilt. (Ditto) from reading blogs, the pattern is apparently poorly explained. I might just use it as a jumping off point.

https://www.stitchedincolor.com/blog/2019/5/6/freespirit-gypsy-wife-a-finished-quilt?format=amp

5 Likes

@Edel, Jordan Fabrics has a free Lone Star pattern.

1 Like

Made the Woven Star block, which left me with a bunch of scrap triangles.

Turned the leftovers into a small Star block. Then added two frames to make it fit with my other blocks.

And when I made the Snail Trail block last week, I was accidentally reading the cutting directions for the wrong size block, so I had a bunch of 2” squares in green and lilac, so I turned those into a 9” Woven Heart block, then set it on point and added background to make it 12.5”.

I’m up to 10 blocks!

12 Likes

Thanks sweetie, that’s perfect

1 Like

How many are you planning? And I hope you’re going to keep this quilt for yourself, it’s going to be fabulous

1 Like

I’m going for 12 or 16, to make a 3x4 or 4x4 layout. I figure I’ll get to 12 and see what I have left of my scraps to decide if I can make more. I think I have 3 fat quarters that are untouched. Most are about half gone, and a couple are nothing but crumbs.

2 Likes

Improvised Flying Geese block. That makes 11.

11 Likes

Beautiful!! This quilt is going to be so gorgeous.

3 Likes

Pretty! I like the way they look. I extra special like that you were making them instead of me, lol.

7 Likes

What method were you using? Triangle to triangle? Or were you doing the Snowball Method ?

1 Like

4 at a time. I’m afraid of the little scraps Snowball would leave me with.

1 Like

Why? All you have to do is run a second row of stitching 3/8” of an inch over, then cut between them and you end up with a small HST as your cut off scrap.

I did that in my Diamond Trip quilt and had enough mini HST’s to make a pillow top.

3 Likes

This sounds like torture to me Jennie, but I trust your opinion so I am going try what you say & see where it goes.
I equally resist enders & leaders, what’s my problem? I could have an accidental quilt already.

5 Likes

Even if you don’t turn the Snowball scraps into extra mini HST’s, it’s a much less frustrating method. I get that you don’t like to waste fabric, but at some point you just have to accept that quilting creates some scraps. It’s just a fact of the craft.

3 Likes

I know everyone says this, but I honestly believe that scraps breed. I have made quite a few scrap busting quilts, without making quilts in between, and there are always more scraps. I think it’s an immutable law of the cosmos.

Having said that, I’ve started a large lone star quilt. Totally fecked up the measurements, so it’s going to be yuge. It’s a double one, so 8x diamond blocks for the inner ring (each of 16 smaller diamonds) and another 16 blocks for the outer ring. And it’s requiring a lot of precision, and so far I’ve only cut four, four strip sets. I think I’ll be adding new colours, because I’m definitely going to run out.

Should be nice when done. Wandering off to cut more fabric and make more scraps

6 Likes

There’s also a difference between scraps to keep and scraps to toss. I have no problem throwing out tiny little triangles that will only make an HST smaller than 2”. That’s just not useful to me. Same with yarn scraps smaller than 2’. I can’t even use it to wrap around a gift at that length, so it’s not useful to crochet with. I really do love the method of immediately sorting (and possibly cutting) scraps right away after finishing a project. If it’s big enough to cut something out of, say half of a fat quarter, I keep it intact. If it’s smaller it gets cut into 5” strips, 5” squares or 2.5” strips and squares. Things I will use and take up less space to store.

4 Likes

I have a similar method of cutting and sorting scraps. I cut combinations that can work together, so 5" squares are my goal size. I cut 3.5" next, then 2.5" (these can be sewn together to get to 5". I just throw strips into a bag because I use those not only for piecing but for fabric twine and wonky blocks or paper piecing.

I do save smaller pieces that are strips or squares, not for crumb quilts, but to make new fabric…of course, these have so much texture that they are used for other non-quilting projects. If you don’t do those types of projects, then yes, it makes sense not to hang onto them and take up not only storage space but also head space!

1 Like

I need some advice. The moral of the story, in advance, is don’t try a new quilt design when you have Covid.

So I’ve made one unit of a lone star, with the intention of doing a double one like this.

that picture is the quiltworx prismatic star, I’m not using their pattern because they make it with FPP, but I am using it as a jumping off point.

So I’ve made one element, of 24 and it’s very big.

I estimate that the whole quilt would be 117" without borders!! Where I wanted to make one that’s square that would sit in the middle of a double bed.

I’ve been following YT videos on lone star and they all say to cut your strip sets before piecing, to keep it accurate. I’ve got 10 strip sets, enough for 10 elements. And look at my points! Super accurate.

So I’m thinking, if I make a total of 16 sets. Cut the outside elements in half so they are triangles rather than diamonds. Making it more like a rose stained glass window than exploding star. That would be about 72" sq, without a border.

Anyone see any problems with this, or indeed a solution I haven’t thought of. It’ll be something like this

I think there might be some colour issues,

7 Likes

Gosh, that’s pretty.

1 Like