Quiltalong - 2023

I didn’t have any Dawn dish soap in the house (I ran out last week. It’s actually my favorite thing for pre treating stains in laundry.) so I tried with the Method dish soap that I use in my kitchen. I think that I got the stains out.

Meanwhile it’s been all go around here today. Errands, haircut, fixing things around the house, etc. Finally got a few minutes to put together the House block. It’s not my favorite, but it will help balance the quilt a bit.

9 Likes

I do not know how you get everything done-you are a super woman!

6 Likes

^^^What she said!!!

2 Likes

Up way past my bedtime. (Jim’s bestie was here hanging out. He’s basically nocturnal, unlike us, who generally go to bed shortly after Ada.) Managed to cut and assemble the Flying Geese for the Dutchman’s Puzzle block. I’ll stitch them together in the morning.

11 Likes

That one is super pretty.

I’ve been gathering fabrics for wonky triangles tonight. Maybe tomorrow, we’ll see…

3 Likes

Dutchman’s Puzzle is together…

Here’s the 15 blocks I have, all laid out. Now I need to figure out what last block to make to fill the final space.

12 Likes

This is going to be the most fantastic quilt!

3 Likes

They look so good all together!!

3 Likes

It is fantastic.

2 Likes

Mix & matchery

10 Likes

I have 16 HST’s leftover from ‘saving’ the corners when I made the Dutchman’s Puzzle. They’re too small to make a 12” block, but I could use it on the back, or maybe make a tote bag or something with it. Question is, do I use just the HST’s, which leaves me with random colors in the corners of the block?

Or use the solid blue scraps in the corners, and use those 4 HST’s on something else?

I’m leaning towards blue corners…

7 Likes

I actually like the first one as well, but I always love a scrappy look. The second one looks more “thought through”. Both options are nice - I really, really like the fabrics you used and I’m not normally a fan of muted colours.

2 Likes

I like the blue corners.

2 Likes

-I marionberries , submit this as my May BOM entry.

This was a fun block and went together quickly. I love a block that looks complicated, but isn’t.

It is 12.5 in. unfinished, I cut everything to size and one edge is a titch skimpy. @MistressJennie I don’t know why yours came out at 12 inches unfinished.

I don’t really like the colors, the dark fabric is wild with the turns. But I am using stash and it will end up in my scrappy quilt.

10 Likes

Both are pretty, but I prefer the blue corners too. It makes the rainbow/spectrum effect stand out more.

Great block @marionberries! It’s very bold, makes me think of a vortex of energy.

3 Likes

I like both, but because all of the other blocks are so considered, I think the blue corners will work best. Perhaps you could add a strip of the HST to the back.

@marionberries that’s a lovely choice of colours for that block

2 Likes

I ended up going with the blue corners. I considered adding a frame to it, to make it the final block, but the spot I needed to fill kinda had to be light green or yellow, to help balance the colors and layout of the quilt. So I’m partway through the Aztec Jewel block. I’m down to the point with my fabrics that I can no longer pick out exactly what colors I want to use in a block, and kinda have to design the block based on whatever scraps I have are the right size to cut various pieces. I would never have designed the colors on this one the way that they are going to be, but it was kinda fun to let the universe decide what this block would be like.

9 Likes

It really is a creative quilt…it tests your skills on improvised piecing and color. You have done a great job and it has been fun seeing what you come up with!

3 Likes

I’m liking that I’m going to have almost nothing left from these fabrics. Use it ALL!

6 Likes

Every one of these blocks are lovely. The colors sooth me.

2 Likes