Quiltalong - 2024

The postage stamp quilt is mesmerizing…The stories all those clothes tell…

2 Likes

I just washed a quilt with 2 color catchers (naively thinking that would be enough) but the quilt still bled onto the white parts. I haven’t dried it yet so I threw it back in for another wash with 2 more color catchers. Any other tips for removing fugitive dye?

The previously white color catchers

2 Likes

Synthrapol!

4 Likes

I finished a Second Quarter Goal: cutting all of the 2.5" squares for my scrappy hearts quilt. I think this may be more than one quilt…

I also organized my quilt WIPs. There’s at least 8 quilts in those bins.

13 Likes

Mainly for @Abbeeroad and @Magpie, but also everyone else to enjoy…

10 Likes

Crazy video! I’m don’t think I would have finished that scrap project. So much sewing. But it was fin to watch the process.

-I **marionberries **, offer **Weaving the Future - A Mini Quilt Collage * for my medium 2nd quarter challenge entry.

It’s also one of my 2nd qtr goals. Everything in this collage quilt is scraps or reused items. The brown garbage dump fabric is from an old shirt, and other scrap fabric is from old clothing as well. Some of the furniture in the dump is from a swap bookshelf diorama that got crushed in a book accident. The padding in various parts of the work is trimmed batting, and the backing is a clotton store bought quilt from the thrift store. And so on.

6 Likes

Wow. That’s incredible! But 20 hours! Yeesh.

3 Likes

I actually got discouraged a bit looking at it…my pile of scraps is double hers…more to sort and match up…I would probably just do enough for a project or two at a time…it was beautiful, though…and I did love her technique and also love my little cutting thing.

4 Likes

I liked her finished item, it’s very insta worthy, but all the while I was wondering at the utility of the final piece.

Squares of this type of thing are useful for quilts, but yardage, which you’ll then cut and create more waste.

But it looks like a great moving meditation doing all that, and it has to be satisfying to have zero scraps

7 Likes

I was wondering about that too. If I were to do anything like that, I’d try to make it into a useable shape like a whole quilt top or blocks in a standard size, instead of making yardage and having to cut that again.

3 Likes

I could see making things like fabric baskets or totes out of the yardage.

(And to be fair, I would never, never go to the trouble of doing this. I just thought you guys would find it interesting.)

5 Likes

I couldn’t stop watching it! But, each time she cut off some of the fabrics, I also just saw more scraps…a never ending cycle! ha ha

It did make me want to make something scrappy, though…I might get a chance to do that before I have to pack up everything.

5 Likes

Yes! I thought the same thing while watching and how @marionberries always says scraps beget more scraps.

5 Likes

This reminds me that my scrap bin is getting full and will soon need handling. Her yardage looks cool, but, yeah, what do you do with it? I like the idea of scrappy tote bags or zipper bags, throw pillows or quilt tops.

3 Likes

Honestly, I hate scrap bins. Hence always cutting up my scraps into specific sizes. I’ve found myself using them so much more often, now that I do. No overflowing bins of ‘junk’ that I eventually just toss to clean the space. Nice neat bins, all cut and ready to use.

5 Likes

I’m actually saving mine for another crumb quilt, lol.

4 Likes

I do cut my scraps into specific sizes. I just get behind and then overwhelmed. A few days of cutting scraps with a time limit might help. I have a few books that have some pretty neat quilts and projects to make with those sizes and they can be combined easily because of the math.

3 Likes

It’s true. I made a swap thingy from 3 rectangular scraps I had. I thought I had used up about half, but it’s a pile now, instead of 3 pieces. At least I managed to use up scrap nr. 3!

I sometimes cut scraps into standard sizes, but my scrap stash is mostly organized by colour. I don’t buy fabric for “collecting” , just when I need something, so what I have is either earmarked or scrap. I use a lot of smaller bits of fabrics, such as for ornaments. When I need a bit of blue, I’ll pull out my bag of blue and see which scrap works.

5 Likes

Thought you guys might enjoy this!

4 Likes

This really brightened my day!

4 Likes