Quiltalong - 2024

That sounds like it’ll be a nice cozy quilt! Did your mom make a block this month?

2 Likes

Yes, she did, but I forgot to take a photo! I will ask her to send me one so you guys get to see that square too

4 Likes

I thought your other blocks were going to be used…I’ll go back to look at them…it will be lovely to see all the blocks together…and your mom’s block as well!

3 Likes

I marionberries , submit this as my April BOM entry.

Another addition…or two…to my night sky quilt. This was interesting to put together, but came together easily.

And a bonus from the discards.

12 Likes

That pattern looks so different using the different colors and placement…wow…sure is pretty, @marionberries !

4 Likes

A couple of my favorites from the Festival of Quilts yesterday.

There and Back(stitch) Again: A Hobbit’s Quilt

Info on the Hobbit quilt.

Vintage Postage Stamp quilt on loan for the Festival. The entire piece was made of worn clothing.

Detail of the postage stamp quilt, which were in fact the size of real postage stamps. All hand quilted.

Fun & funky scrap quilt. Many of the color triangles were pieced bits of scraps, that were then cut into triangles.

11 Likes

Wow, that hand stitched postage stamp quilt looks like a lifetime’s worth of work! Now we need pics of the Stitch’n Witch quilt!

ETA - I just saw the pics on other threads. How exciting to see your quilt on display!

5 Likes

The postage stamp quilt is mesmerizing…The stories all those clothes tell…

2 Likes

I just washed a quilt with 2 color catchers (naively thinking that would be enough) but the quilt still bled onto the white parts. I haven’t dried it yet so I threw it back in for another wash with 2 more color catchers. Any other tips for removing fugitive dye?

The previously white color catchers

2 Likes

Synthrapol!

4 Likes

I finished a Second Quarter Goal: cutting all of the 2.5" squares for my scrappy hearts quilt. I think this may be more than one quilt…

I also organized my quilt WIPs. There’s at least 8 quilts in those bins.

13 Likes

Mainly for @Abbeeroad and @Magpie, but also everyone else to enjoy…

10 Likes

Crazy video! I’m don’t think I would have finished that scrap project. So much sewing. But it was fin to watch the process.

-I **marionberries **, offer **Weaving the Future - A Mini Quilt Collage * for my medium 2nd quarter challenge entry.

It’s also one of my 2nd qtr goals. Everything in this collage quilt is scraps or reused items. The brown garbage dump fabric is from an old shirt, and other scrap fabric is from old clothing as well. Some of the furniture in the dump is from a swap bookshelf diorama that got crushed in a book accident. The padding in various parts of the work is trimmed batting, and the backing is a clotton store bought quilt from the thrift store. And so on.

6 Likes

Wow. That’s incredible! But 20 hours! Yeesh.

3 Likes

I actually got discouraged a bit looking at it…my pile of scraps is double hers…more to sort and match up…I would probably just do enough for a project or two at a time…it was beautiful, though…and I did love her technique and also love my little cutting thing.

5 Likes

I liked her finished item, it’s very insta worthy, but all the while I was wondering at the utility of the final piece.

Squares of this type of thing are useful for quilts, but yardage, which you’ll then cut and create more waste.

But it looks like a great moving meditation doing all that, and it has to be satisfying to have zero scraps

8 Likes

I was wondering about that too. If I were to do anything like that, I’d try to make it into a useable shape like a whole quilt top or blocks in a standard size, instead of making yardage and having to cut that again.

3 Likes

I could see making things like fabric baskets or totes out of the yardage.

(And to be fair, I would never, never go to the trouble of doing this. I just thought you guys would find it interesting.)

6 Likes

I couldn’t stop watching it! But, each time she cut off some of the fabrics, I also just saw more scraps…a never ending cycle! ha ha

It did make me want to make something scrappy, though…I might get a chance to do that before I have to pack up everything.

6 Likes

Yes! I thought the same thing while watching and how @marionberries always says scraps beget more scraps.

5 Likes