Quiltalong - 2024

I didn’t use a pattern and I’m not sure what I did wrong, but when I tried to sew 6 triangles together, it just didn’t work. The 6 triangles didn’t form a hexie, it was like I needed an additional 1/2 or a 3/4 triangle.

It’s been a while since I tried so maybe I could try again? It’s been a while since I put this project away in frustration, but I don’t want it to end up a UFO because this quilt was intended for myself! Well, for the future guest bed in my craft room.

I’m in a productive mood today, on top of sorting and ironing all this, I’ve also sandwiched 2 scrappy UFO tops and I’ve made plans to finish the last couple of blocks of two other UFO’s too. 5 projects in total, and all except the hexie thing require less than an evening’s work to finish. They all ended up in one big box in storage when we started our house project, and they’re long overdue. It took a while to be organised enough in this house to start quilting again.

2 Likes

I’m in my room for the first time in a long time as well, it’s lovely. I’ve been cutting strips them cutting those into various sized squares. The left over bits or random sizes will be made into corner triangles for 4" squares I’ve been collecting for a friend’s baby quilt.

How about trying to reverse engineer this one. You could draft a hexie, cut it into components, place the pieces of paper over your triangles and see if the angle can easily be corrected. If you need more cut from strip pieces, use that template so they are all the right shape.

3 Likes

All i can see is a fabulous and classy Autumn bunting.

3 Likes

That’s a really clever idea.

The triangles are a bit on the small side for bunting, but the colour scheme would be perfect for it! I still really love this range of fabric, there are both floral and graphic patterns in it, and the fabrics are colourful but not too sweet and pink.

1 Like

Trying to layout a pieced border. All of the black + color pairs are leaders & enders from scraps that were already in my stash. Now I need some more pieces to fill in the gaps.

12 Likes

It depends on where you’ll display them, I bet you could do it. @Magpie, what size are the ones you sent me and Little Miss?

2 Likes

Tiny! One way to deal with bunting of a small size is to finish the edges with binding. You can use scrappy off cuts for that too, if you want even more colour. Or go with a solid to homogenize the whole thing.
Bunting is very fun but not as practical as a quilt, if you are wanting a more useful item.
It could be worth thinking about sashing around the hexie pieces or even in between for a more trivial pursuit game pieces effect and to increase the size. This will help keep edges from becoming too thick too, all those tiny seams crammed into one space, especially the point of the hexies.

Jennie, that is looking fabulous. I am a bit afraid of using black or white in projects but it really makes those lovely colours pop.

I’m mostly finished cutting all the fabric I had taken out and ironed last year for 5 and 2.5" squares for… something…? I have no idea what this pile is for, I’ll have to think back to try and remember. In any case, I am SO happy to have it done so the rest can be put away. It was just laying around taking up space in my tiny studio.

ETA d’oh, I have ONE yellow square. Anybody want to send me 5” squares of yellow fabrics from your stash?

6 Likes

Could you cut same size triangles in a plain, and alternate into strips for a bunting-y quilt? I found a picture that looks a bit like what I can see in my mind …

4 Likes

That is cute!

4 Likes

This does not look like the plan in my head at all, but it does look really lovely! Its such a happy quilt.

4 Likes

I’ll look in my 5” squares bin today.

3 Likes

Oh wow, that is the cutest. Not my usual colours but I actually love it.

Thanks so much @MistressJennie. I guess I don’t need lots of yellow but that one single square would make for a sad rainbow, lol.

4 Likes

How much are you looking for? I have 4 yellow prints already cut into 5" squares. I can include doubles of them, (or triples).

5 Likes

You are so nice to share your stash @MistressJennie.

I am wfh today and decided to fussy cut some 5" squares out of the scrap piece I had left from my floral cat purse. I didn’t close the rotary cutter between selecting areas and the back of my pinky hit it. I got my first rotary cut! Ouch! It barely touched it, but there was a lot of blood. Those things are not playing. It’s my first quilting battle scar.

4 Likes

-I marionberries , offer Autumn Leaf for February prompt Orange

-I marionberries , submit this as my February BOM entry. Raspberry cheesecake with wine. I modified to use economy blocks for the diamond shapes and added one to the center.

I am making progress on my two lap quilts, Forest and Star Shine. I am thinking I’ll do a modified Wander’s Wife style finish on these.

12 Likes

That leaf is gorgeous!

Ooh, that’ll look really neat!

1 Like

Ooh, that sounds painful, I hope you’re okay! Thank goodness it was just a nick and not a slice :flushed:. And thank you for the reminder to always double check and make sure that blade is closed when not on use. I once did something similar with an exacto knife and that is not an experience I want to repeat!!

1 Like

I love how one simple shape like triangles can become about a zillion different quilt designs :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I’d happily adopt anything you don’t have plans for.

@gozer ouch! Crafting’s left it’s mark on you now :smile: :drop_of_blood:

@marionberries haha, love your mash-up of cake & vino, fun!

This makes me think of a cool challenge, hidden messages. What can we secretly say with colour & fabric choices paired with name of block. We could all guess the meaning.

4 Likes