Red berry skirt

This skirt was a long time coming! I bought the fabric AGES ago and have made a pair of shorts for it. Had intended to make a skirt since but kept putting it off.

I used the Annie’s A-line Skirt patten, with some alterations. I cut a 14 and used 3/8" seams instead of 5/8". I had to do the seams twice because I forgot the seam allowance change the 1st time through.

And a little hook to hang my keys and phone bag from instead of pockets. Its on the wrong side for a right handed person, but I’m running with it anyway.

I added a little binding to the waist facing.

All in all, not a bad finished piece but I’m not crazy about how the top of the back zipper came out.

ETA - can confirm, the key loop was one of my better sewing ideas! blurry image I captured today with my web cam:
2022-04-11_09-30-06

pulls the top edge of the skirt down a little bit, but I have my big, school janitor-esque key ring, phone and “garage” door opener all hanging from this thing so I am not deterred. I might go back and add this to ALL my skirts like this.

20 Likes

So cheery and fun. I love the little tab hook! Great idea and won’t add thr bulk pockets may.

3 Likes

This is just lovely!

3 Likes

Cute skirt! I love the fabric.

4 Likes

Good for you! The fabric is so nice, & the loop is clever.
Show the zipper top? I’m curious about the reason for the facing binding as well.

1 Like

I somehow got them off alignment and the corner isn’t squaring nicely.

The facing is part of the pattern instructions.

4 Likes

I have sewn that exact looking zipper many times myself. No one will know but you.

Interesting about the facing, now I’ve got to check out that pattern. Seems like it could add bulk & possibly leave an indentation when pressing. I might switch it out for serging or zig zag.

3 Likes

I’ve skipped the facing on the other two of this pattern I made. But I have 6 yards of 1/8 wide bias tape that I’m not going to use so i thought I’d try it.

4 Likes

Super cute and versatile! Love the key loop!

3 Likes

It’s beautiful.

3 Likes

Way cute! The loop is genius !!

2 Likes

I love this fabric. The shape of the shirt is great too! It will be an amazing addition to your wardrobe. And I agree, no one will notice the zipper except you.

2 Likes

Thanks! Its a print by Kobayashi Cotton, lighy denim twill. I bought it in Japan but haven’t been able to find more online.

2 Likes

Anything that has the word “Kobayashi” is a win for me! I think the loop thing is genius…and it has me thinking of how to keep it from dragging down with the weight of our phones, keys, etc. I have skirts what lack pockets (why!!!)…maybe suspenders under the top…lol…or two loops for weight distribution…anyway…cute skirt…the whole process seemed to work for you!

1 Like

I knew I recognized that fabric!

YES!!! and I have a pair of shorts too :slight_smile:

1 Like