Refried Beans

“Refried” Beans
1 pound dried pinto beans
7 cups water

1 Tbs chicken stock paste - I used better than boullion or could sub some or all the water with chicken stock

1 tsp salt

1 Tbs ground cumin (I love cumin. If you aren’t as crazy about it as me you probably only want 1 tsp)

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

3 Tbs garlic infused oil ( or plain oil and 1 tsp garlic powder)

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Wash your beans and pick out any stones or debris.

I used an instant pot but this could be done in a crockpot or stovetop using the normal cooking times for those methods.

For the instant pot - put all ingredients in the pot and cook on hi pressure for 45 min. Let the pressure drop naturally for 20-30 min then release pressure the rest of the way.

Be careful the liquid may still be boiling.

Strain the liquid from the beans and reserve. Use an egg masher and mash the beans using a bit of the reserved liquid to get the consistency you like. I used slightly less than a cup. You could also use an immersion blender but I don’t have one.

You could probably make some good soup from the remaining broth but that didn’t occur to me before I dumped it!

I got about 5 cups of refried beans out of a pound of pintos. A serving is about a 1/2 cup.

My frozen pinto cubes ready for the freezer

And dinner - corn tortillas crisped up in skillet with refried beans topped with fried eggs and my homemade taco sauce, cheese and tomatoes

12 Likes

My veggie heart is loving this HARD. And there is so much cr@p in store bought. You arteries thank you.

I like the idea of freezing.

Beans are good! I’ve even had brownies made with beans and they were delish!

I love tostadas and your look really tasty. Your recipe looks super easy! I think I may have to try this one out!! We eat a lot of beans at my house.

Looks great! Better than Bouillon is always in my fridge. I use their vegetable base in so many dishes!

Yum, yum, yum, yum.

I love me some beans! Thanks for sharing.