LETTUCE HELP OUR COMMUNITY CHALLENGE
Daily life as we know it has drastically changed. Terms like ‘social distancing’ and ‘flattening the curve’, unknown just a few months ago, are now part of our everyday reality. In the face of catastrophe, it can feel scary, overwhelming, and most of all, frustrating. We are crafters. We are makers. We are doers. And right now, there doesn’t seem to be a lot we can do to help our families and communities. But with new recommendations from the CDC, that say we should all be wearing masks when leaving the house, and with hospitals across the country putting out the call for handmade cloth masks, we makers have been given a mission:
OUR MISSION - Protect each other, and protect those on the front lines, by making masks & caps.
- You may craft masks for yourself, your family, your neighbors, or hospitals & healthcare workers. It does not matter who they are going to; they all count.
- Some hospitals & health care workers are requesting scrub caps or similar hair coverings. These are quite welcome in this challenge.
- You may enter this challenge as many times as you wish, in batches of 1-3 masks. If you wish to make just 1 mask, that will count as one entry. If you make a set for you you & your spouse, that counts as 1 entry. If you make a set for your kids, you may count that as one entry. If you make dozens for your local hospital, you can submit them in batches of 3 per entry.
- You must post all your entries here in this thread. THIS ROUND will count anything made starting May 1, 2020.
- When posting an entry, please use the header below, so I can make sure to count all your submissions.
- Your entry may not be submitted for any other contest in this community.
- All entries must be posted by midnight on May 31st.
- Each submission will get you 1 entry into the prize drawing.
- At the close of the Challenge, I will use a random number generator to draw two winners from all submissions.
- The winner will be announced on May 1. I will contact you via Private Message, after the announcement.
- If cheating of any sort is discovered, the applicable entry and votes will be disqualified.
The winner of the Lettuce Help Our Communities Challenge - Round 2, will receive a $25 gift card to Joann Fabrics, to replenish their fabric stash after the pandemic has ended!
@Magpie’s Fastest, Easiest Fitted Mask Tutorial
@Magpie’s Darted Front Face Mask Tutorial
Georgia Tech Rapid Response Fabric Test Guide
Fitted Face Mask Tutorial (Smooth, non pleated)
Bias Tape Surgical Mask with Nose Wire (Pleated)
Surgical Pleated Face Mask
DIY Surgical Mask
HK Mask Manual
ITH Embroidery Machine In the Hoop Mask
NY Times Face Mask Guide
Face Mask Sewing Pattern (with options for Cricut & Silhouette users)
If you have any questions, or want to chat about your crafting progress for this challenge, post it here! Let’s have fun!
THE WAY WE GET THROUGH THIS IS TOGETHER