Ruth Bader Ginsberg Hoop Ornament

This ornament is way more elaborate than I originally planned. But I was so inspired by the subject — plus wanted to play with some specific techniques and some new sequins I got recently. :grin:

I started with a picture of her, printed out on fabric. In looking at pictures of RGB, I’ve been so struck by the “wisdom lines“ on her face. I decided to do some trapunto to try to capture that aspect of her.

You sew 2 pieces of fabric together, then cut slits in the back and stuff different sections. It creates a 3-D effect.

I like the trapunto parts better than the forehead creases, which I added after all the trapunto work was done.

Her collar is crocheted, and her earrings, glasses lenses, and the background stars are all sequins.

I wanted to cover up the back, because the way I stitched the trapunto slits back together made a total mess!

So I cut letters out of felt, and then covered them with a variety of sequins and beads.

It’s hard to see, but I did write her name on the inside-bottom of the hoop.

Originally, I was going to try to do a 3-inch hoop, but that would not have worked for the trapunto, so I went with 4-inch.

This was made for the Ongoing Ornament swap.
OPEN: Ongoing Ornament Swap 2020 (SU 9/26-10/30)

This swap is going on throughout October 2020- you can sign up to join any time before end of month! Come and play!! (This ornament is WAY more complicated than it should have been for the swap; I lost control because it was a tribute to RBG, and she’s a hero of mine.)

27 Likes

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! I had never heard of trapunto, but it is so cool! I wish everyone could feel this! Thank you so much for her!

2 Likes

Oh, my! I think you’ve just made me a bit teary-eyed. It’s a gorgeous little piece and a wonderful tribute. Trapunto was the perfect choice to capture the features of her face, and the “All Rise” on the back is fantastic.

5 Likes

This is so absolutely awesome.

3 Likes

Wowsa! This is epic! Great job - love the sequins.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this post! I was admiring your ornament in the gallery, wondering how on Earth you made it! Fantastic work x

2 Likes

This is absolutely amazing, your RBG ornament rocks!

2 Likes

this is amazing! And the extra surprise on the back—awesome!!

2 Likes

This is amazing. Great job!

2 Likes

Amazing!!! And all in 4 inches of space! A wonderful work of art and fitting tribute to an amazing human.

3 Likes

wow, that is amazing!!

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I was pleased with how it came out. And it was fun using the sequins. I went looking for unusual-sized sequins after I did a vintage felt ornament kit, and I found lots of cool shapes and colors at Cartwright’s Sequins.

https://www.ccartwright.com/

No affiliation, just thought I’d share the source. Lots of my sequins are vintage, too. Every time I see a baggie full of old sequins at a garage sale, I snap it up!

I figured the new sequins would come in handy for the ornament swap.

3 Likes

Very impressive, & the back is a great complement! :grinning:

2 Likes

Fantastic! Great work. It is really lovely.

2 Likes

If I only saw the back, I’d be impressed, but the front. Holy smokes! You are amazing and talented to the Nth degree! This is fabulous.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth::open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I’ve never seen or heard of that technique before! This is so cool: the 3D, the crocket, the multiple textures… so dang neat!!

2 Likes

Lol I have a weird amount of sequins.

2 Likes

That’s some amazing craftsmanship!

2 Likes

Haha! I think we are kindred spirits. I have a storage box slightly smaller than a shoebox, labeled “Spangles”. It is completely full of things like sequins, crystals, shiny confetti, etc. (carefully sorted and bagged… although there is almost always a stray sequin or two at the bottom!) And yet… I recently felt I had to order over $25 more from Cartwright’s!

P.S. Thanks again for all the kind comments, everyone!

2 Likes

This is amazing! I really love that you put lenses in her glasses.

3 Likes