Scrappy Butterfly Wings

I know I posted these in the Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong back in 2020, but I don’t think I ever made a proper post of them (maybe on the old site, I don’t remember!). These were originally a Halloween costume for my girls when they were 2, but I recently repurposed them for a local Butterfly Festival we attended this past weekend.

I really love the bottom pair, but of course the girls both wanted the rainbow. :sweat_smile:

They are pretty rough and ready, but still going strong 2-ish years after being made. I originally had them sewn directly onto a black long-sleeve t-shirt, but my girls have long outgrown the shirt. So, I unpicked the stitching connecting them to the shirt, stitched them together at the center, and added a couple t-shirt yarn strings that could be tied at the wrists. I pinned the center to whatever the girls were wearing.

In actual practice, they probably need a second set of ties to hold up the middle of the wings…

But they worked great for the couple hours they were worn!

I was glad to get some more mileage out of these babies. Thanks for looking! :butterfly:

33 Likes

gorgeous! did you paint or dye the fabrics, or just have that delightful palette on hand?

2 Likes

Thank you! I did dye the fabrics. Just random dyed stash from over the years.

2 Likes

Incredibly beautiful! I know the girls must love them.

2 Likes

Beautifully done! I like the bottom one too, but I can see the allure of the brighter colors.

2 Likes

These are great! I love the look of them and also that you made them work for a new size/age of the gals.

2 Likes

Ohmy word, they are so heartbreakingly beautiful. I love them so much Abbee. Can I have a pair in my size, please? Lol, I’d wear them, I would!

3 Likes

Hahaha…I have no doubt you would! :grin:

1 Like

the sound of every swapper making a note that magpie wants wings

7 Likes

And a crown…

3 Likes

duly noted. :pencil2:

2 Likes

When I saw the picture, I just knew you made these. Gorgeous and timeless for any age! :heart::rainbow:

2 Likes

These are so beautiful my friend!

1 Like

You work magic with scraps. The colors are amazingly vibrant. Love, love, love them!!!

2 Likes

Thanks guys! :sparkles:

1 Like

So beautiful! I’m glad you posted them and that they are still in rotation! Waaaaay too pretty to sit in storage.

3 Likes

:icecream: WooooOOOO hooooOOOO! Your super great craft is one of this week’s Featured Project! :cupcake:

2 Likes

AH! Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

These really are great and even more so that you were able to update them for your now-bigger girls!

2 Likes

What a great way of maximizing the usage of these wings! They are so beautiful and deserve to live on and on! I love the use of the hand dyed fabrics. The subtle shift of the shades and just the color variation within each patch really adds to the beauty of these wings!

1 Like