Scrappy Fabric No-Sew trinket dish- Talk Scrappy To Me Challenge Entry

When I saw the latest site challenge I felt called to break out my fabric scraps and see what I could do. My scrap bag:

I settled on a no-sew project that I had seen a few times from a few different sources on Pinterest. It’s basically papier mache but with fabric. I wanted to test it out to judge if Kidlet could do it as a gift-making project for Grandmother gifts this year maybe.

The initial sort and search:

I chose to try for a trinket dish sized project. I used a cardboard form that came under some tomatoes and plastic wrap to create a base and decided, as this was an experiment, I wouldn’t let my usual overthinking kick in so I just sped through the stash of scraps and made quick decisions as to what would work for this time and what wouldn’t. It made a bit of a mess for a little while, but was effective.

Wrap the base, glue it up, arrange scraps on it and glue, glue, glue.

After letting it dry overnight I pried it off the base, trimmed the top edge, and added a ribbon. I do like a bit of order in my projects and the ribbon grounded the piece for my eye.

All in all I am glad I tried it. This little bitty will be used for holding bits and bobs while knitting/crocheting- the small scissors, tapestry needles, stitch markers and the like.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Edit to add: I can report it is really sturdy, too. I thought it might stay a bit wibbly, but in fact it’s hard as a rock.

18 Likes

Very clever & cute way to use the fabric you collect with not much intention to sew. I like this ingeniousness of making mache with alternate materials. Way to think outside the (trinket) box!

2 Likes

That’s super cute! I love the detail of the little ladybug in the dish too.

3 Likes

Thanks, friends!

2 Likes

This is such a fun project. It turned out great!

3 Likes

What a clever idea to do something completely different with fabric scraps! And absolutely something suitable for kids.

3 Likes

Look at you crafting with fabric! And quite successfully too. The ribbon was a fantastic add that finishes the piece nicely. Kiddo will love adding those glue layers I bet…just no splatters. :wink:

3 Likes

Haha! My poor diningroom! :woman_artist:t2:

Thanks, guys!

3 Likes

I knew you would find a way to use those scraps! I absolutely love messy projects that have good results! I’ve seen a few of those videos and they do look fun!

I see kiddo made trinket boxes and a very messy dining room in your future! :smile:

3 Likes

Yay for experimentation! Cute little dish; my favorite is the frog on the side.

3 Likes

Thanks, friends!

2 Likes

I love all the fabrics you chose for this cute project! It turned out so adorable.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

I can report it is really sturdy, too. I thought it might stay a bit wibbly, but in fact it’s hard as a rock.

4 Likes

Nice! I like a sewing project with no sewing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
What was the glue used? The old flour and… it’s been a long time since I did paper mache

3 Likes

It was actually just good ol’ Elmer’s!

3 Likes

I love the way you highlighted different things, like the frog and lady bug. I am sure your kiddo will absolutely love making kne of these, and the grandparents will love getting such a useable gift.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

This is adorable! I love that you used fabric, but in an unconventional way. Scrappy and sweet!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

That’s so pretty!

I’m curious as to how the temporary cardboard base works—did you glue the fabric directly onto it, an if so, how hard was it to get it off after? How do you get it to not damage the fabric when you pull it off? Also, do you use a special type of glue?

3 Likes