Scrappy Mail Fabric Swap (Signups CLOSED; Sendouts 6/25)

I really should just cut all my scraps into charm squares (or mini charm squares if they are too small to be charm squares). That way, they would be ready for swaps or projects. But unfortunately, I don’t think I can make myself do that…

4 Likes

Haha…agreed. What if I need this weirdly shaped scrap later?!

But I also cut extra squares for myself and I do enjoy having a little pile of potential ready to go.

Maybe I can find a balance between an ordered stash and my current chaos…

5 Likes

I seem to remember that @geekgirl had bins for things like junk, scrap papers, etc. When they became full, she made herself use it instead of getting another bin. I have been trying that and it seems to be helping control my stacks! It is also a challenge to use up “limited” junk…lots of creativity…if there is a reason it hasn’t been used, it must be recycled or trashed.

I still can’t seem to use up the tiny bits of fabric but Fodder School has given me an idea to store the best of them so I can see them and use them!

5 Likes

I make scrappy master fabrics or fun mini scrappy quilty things…so i save even tiny scraps. I have another larger piece planned, but haven’s started it yet, it’s going to have to wait until fall.
I never know when I will need a small piece of … something to finish off a crazy project.

7 Likes

They are all fabulous…but you are not helping with my tiny scrap addiction…lol…I do not need another one…although, it was so much fun making those scrappy hearts…hmmm

2 Likes

YES!!! This is what I’m talking about! :heart:

Those are some amazing scrap projects!

LOL. I get that. What you could do is split the difference. If you have a chunk of fabric that is whole and untouched on one end, and has weird shapes cut out of the other, you can cut off the sliced up end, leaving you with a relatively square piece that can be put away whole. Then you can take the swiss cheese piece, and cut it into charm and mini charm squares.

Also, cutting up small pieces of leftover binding is perfect for mini charms since most binding is cut 2.5" wide. If you have a larger piece of binding you could use it for another project, but usually most quilt patterns have you cut just enough so you only have a bit leftover.

6 Likes

I keep all my little bits of binding and hope someday to make a quilt using all of the pieced together bits…you, dear, are not helping either!!! lol

1 Like

Wow, these are incredible! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I love how scrappy pieced bindings look, but I also dislike the bulk of where binding strips are pieced, so I always do diagonal seams in my bindings. If I were to piece a ton of small chunks of binding, it would drive me nuts while attaching it all, going over seams every couple of inches. Good for you with going for that as a goal!

1 Like

I also do diagonal seams but for small projects, like mug rugs, it wouldn’t be feasible with small pieces. I did small pieces when I bound my coasters, and yeah, they were a bit of a pain. lol

2 Likes

I just stumbled across this cute project made with 1.5 inch squares. I would love to make a couple “R” pillows…

6 Likes

One in blue and one in pink I assume? If I come across anything in my scrap gathering that will work for you, I’ll send them your way. I know I have a bunch of pink scraps cut already. White/ivory background stuff?

2 Likes

Hahaha…it’s like you know me (and my girls) or something. That would be amazing!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I love this idea!

1 Like

I started going through my fabrics tonight and I keep finding stuff I forgot I had! I’ve started making some initial piles and hopefully get everything cut this weekend.

One thing I was surprised by when I was going through my weaving samples is that I have significantly fewer that I think would work for the swap. I’m still hoping to sneak in at least one for my US partners!

I’m thinking I might try to do a “scrap granny square” mini wall quilt with my squares.

6 Likes

I will gladly take ones that are smaller than 2.5” if it helps…
:grin:

2 Likes

Those scrappy quilts are amazing, @marionberries!

I am going through my bag of pre-cuts right now, it’s a lot of fun seeing all those little scraps again. A lot of them are not great for this swap but it’s always fun to see them again. The only thing I can’t find so far are jewel tones, which I know a lot of you like. But who knows what I’ll find when I’m starting to open my bags of fabric?

My fabric is all sorted in ziploc bags. There’s a ziploc bag for each colour and a few small bags for pre-cuts in several sizes. I try to keep all my fabric sorted this way so I can easily find fabrics I’m looking for.

2 Likes