Scraptastic quilt-talk scrappy to me challenge entry

The strangest thing about making quilts is that no matter how much scrap busting you do, the mountain of scraps is never any smaller.

This is an improv style quilt, I like this style, but it can look really busy. So my “rules” for this kind of quilt is to use a fairly limited palette of colors and to use plenty of sashing to give the eyes a place to rest.

My scraps are sorted into the boxes, purple/blue/greens, yellow/oranges/reds, black/white/greys. When I make a quilt I use scraps from just one box.

It’s a lap quilt size about 60" sq with a vintage woollen blanket for wadding

The back is fabric that I dyed and I added this scrappy foundation paper pieced star.

Many of the fabrics in the quilt are ones that I dyed and printed, some of the fabric in the star is some that I designed and got spoon flower to print.

Everything is stash or scrap. Quilting this kind of thing can be difficult because of lots of bias seams, stretchy! So I did a kind of an open quilt pattern to minimise any wrinkles.

All finished with a stripey border. Love stripes!

Just to round out the discussion below @gozer @AntBee @sloth003
about sticking to a limited colour range for improv scrappy.

This was just using blues

And this greys and whites with one pop of orange in each block.

28 Likes

The quilt turned out really neat. The way you organize your scraps by color groups seems to work in your favor because it made the colors flow on this one. Great size too. Perfect for snuggling in for the winter while watching TV.

3 Likes

This is soooo gorgeous! Like seriously so gorgeous. I love the organic piecing so very much and the back and that star. Woooo. Amazing! I wish I could give this more than one heart, because I certainly would.
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you, I think the colour thing is key tbh, at least for me, because it does stop it from getting really visually chaotic

2 Likes

Thanks sweetie x

1 Like

It’s a beautiful quilt! I love the limited color palette.

1 Like

Such an awesome job! I just learned about improv quilting and your example is so inspiring!!

1 Like

Totally fantastic, I love that star on the back!

1 Like

Love it! I’ll just reach my grabby hands through the monitor and put it right here beside me, shall I?
And I love the sorting by colors that you describe, that’s genius.

2 Likes

How sensible to use one colour…it looks great.

I love improv quilting myself but never thought to restrain the chaos.

2 Likes

I like a contained chaos! Is still not exactly 100% red/orange/yellow palette-a touch of yellowy green has crept in.

1 Like

That grey white and orange one is to die for.

I’m totally stealing that.

2 Likes

Wow these are all stunners! Just. Wow!

1 Like

I think that one little outlier gives it some heft- like having dark wood on the furniture in a pastel explosion room would. An anchor of sorts to keep it from visually floating away.

1 Like

You expressed really well, that which I was trying to achieve (what is going on with the grammar in that sentence??). It’s an attempt for cohesion in all the randomness. A kind of underlying order

1 Like

Right!?

I’m totally taking a page from her book on my next crazy quilt.

1 Like

Awesome scrap-busting beauty. I love the contained chaos and the simple dark sashing.

1 Like

Gorgeous! I love the colors and the crazy scrappy blocks

1 Like

This is stunning! Love the wild scrappy parts, the orderly parts, the accent parts…all the parts!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

:mirror_ball: :dancing_women: :ice_cube: :dancing_women: :mirror_ball: Woohoo! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Thanks for sharing it here with us! :mirror_ball: :dancing_women: :ice_cube: :dancing_women: :mirror_ball:

2 Likes