Sculptural Safety Pins

When my husband’s grandma passed away, I was given almost all of her craft supplies. This was mostly sewing stuff, including two old Singers of HER mother’s, one of which uses the same attachments as my Featherweight, and now I have almost ALL of them. But also included was an old parts chest, the kind with tons of tiny plastic drawers, full of thousands of tiny safety pins of all sorts of colors. She made jewelry and ornaments in the 70s. It’s just been hanging around and I needed to either use the or donate them, so I decided to play a little. I think I am in love. I don’t have a lot of findings laying around so I will have to get some to finish these well, but yeah. Safety Pins chain mail.

38 Likes

OMG I love that neck piece. Concept, construction, & results. Amazing

2 Likes

That necklace is stunning.

1 Like

Way cool!

1 Like

Very cool! The chainmail effect is awesome.

1 Like

Wow, what a thing to inherit, especially those old machines (jealousy happening here) … the necklace is stunning.

1 Like

So creative and the results! :star_struck: Wow!

1 Like

That looks so cool! How heavy is the neck piece?

1 Like

Who would have thought that safety pins would be so pretty? I’m super impressed! These are gorgeous!

1 Like

I’m going to guess it’s got some weight to it. I scored some old safety pins in a random craft bag once & they are very sturdy compared to the modern version. I might not have made the necklace part out of newer pins for fear of them opening & stabbing in the tender neck area but those vintage closures are quite secure.

1 Like

I found some neckwires in my stash and transfered it to that, and now the whole piece weighs 3.3 oz, or 93 gms. It is fairly heavy, but not too terribly so. For a frame of reference it is almost exactly twice as heavy as one of my husband’s neckties, but I have a vintage Whiting and Davis metal mesh kerchief necklace that is almost 5 oz. So for someone who has trouble with heavier necklaces, it might be an issue, but it is within the realm of average for a statement necklace. :smiley:

And yeah, Magpie, these suckers aren’t popping open without a lot of cajoling. Lol

5 Likes

Wow!
'70s was early Punk Rock, was grandma a fan of the Ramones and Adam Ant?

3 Likes

:laughing:

I guess I don’t know for sure, but somehow I doubt it. Whatever she was making, it started like this:

Lots of plastic beads. Not especially my style, but I appreciate the amount of work that went into them.

5 Likes

WOW! That necklace is STUNNING! I’m so glad that you decided to play just so I could see that.

2 Likes

Oooh, New Wave!

2 Likes

I am in love with that necklace! It looks so amazing!

1 Like

This is really creative and I love how unique they are, very cool!

1 Like

Just finished this two-tone set.

15 Likes

Ah-mazing!

1 Like

Wow!!

1 Like