Simple Chevron Blanket Tutorial

Have you ever tried to make a chevron blanket, but you keep having problems with added stitches on the sides? You may find this helpful then!

Simple Chevron Blanket Tutorial

Materials Needed:
Worsted weight yarn - or weight of your choice
H hook (5.00mm) - or appropriate size for yarn choice
Tape Measure

Abbreviations:
dc: double crochet
sc: single crochet
st(s): stitches
ch: chain
BLO: back loop only

Notes:
You can use any weight of yarn you’d like, and an appropriately sized hook. If you like your stitches to be a little tighter, use a smaller hook, such as a G hook. If you like your stitches to be more airy, I suggest using a larger hook, like an I or J hook. I used the suggested yarn and hook sizes listed under materials needed. I will try to explain each step as clearly as possible.

First I will post the patterns for both a double crochet and a single crochet chevron blanket. They’re exactly the same really, except for the number of starting chains. Read on to see the tutorial for creating even edges!

Chevron blanket in DOUBLE CROCHET

To start, chain in multiples of 21

How I decide how many multiples of 21 I’d like to chain:

• Measure how wide you’d like your blanket to be. Afghans typically measure 50 x 65 inches. If you want your blanket to be 50 inches wide, you need to chain in multiples of 21 until you reach the 50 inch width, but beware because…
  • When you’re working with a chevron pattern, your chain will shrink some because of the peaks and valleys. I find once I reach roughly the 50 inch width, I need to do one more multiple of 21 chains. If using a smaller hook or finer yarn, you may even want to do a second set of 21 chains to account for shrinkage. Be sure to measure the width of your blanket once you finish working your first row to be sure you’re happy with the overall width.

Pattern for DOUBLE CROCHET:

start every row with chain 2

• Row 1: Beginning in 3rd chain from hook, 9 dc, [3 dc] in next st, 9 dc, skip 2, 9 dc, [3 dc] in next st, 9 dc repeat to end.
  • Row 2 and all remaining rows: Working in BLO, dc in first st, skip the second stitch of this row, work 8 dc, [3 dc] in next st, 9 dc, skip 2, 9 dc, [3 dc] in next st, 9 dc repeat to the final peak of the row. On the final peak you will work 9 dc up the first side, [3 dc] in next st, work 8 dc down the second side, skip the 2nd to last st, dc in the final stitch of the row.
  • Repeat row 2 until you reach desired length of blanket. Change colors as you like to create fun color combos.

Chevron blanket in SINGLE CROCHET

To start, chain in multiples of 21, minus 1

What does this mean? First, read the directions above for how to decide how long to make your chain. You will make a chain in multiples of 21, just like you do for the double crochet version, but once you get your chain to the length you want it, you will remove one chain. So for example, if you end up having 7 repeats of the pattern, you will have 7 repeats x 21 multiples = 147 chains. But now you need to remove one chain, so you only have 146.

Pattern for SINGLE CROCHET:

start every row with chain 1

• Row 1: Beginning in 2nd chain from hook, 9 sc, [3 sc] in next st, 9 sc, skip 2, 9 sc, [3 sc] in next st, 9 sc repeat to end.
  • Row 2 and all remaining rows: Working in BLO, sc in first st, skip the second stitch of this row, work 8 sc, [3 sc] in next st, 9 sc, skip 2, 9 sc, [3 sc] in next st, 9 sc repeat to the final peak of the row. On the final peak you will work 9 sc up the first side, [3 sc] in next st, work 8 sc down the second side, skip the 2nd to last st, sc in the final stitch of the row.

How to get even edges

At the start of every row:

Even though the photo example is shown in double crochet, you will do the exact same thing using single crochet if that’s the stitch you choose to use.

At the end of the row:

A few more notes

• You will always have 9 stitches on either side of the peak. If you end up with 10 stitches on a start or finish side, it means you forgot to skip a stitch! As you can see in the very first photo, the edges come out nice and even.
  • Have fun and vary things up! You can do several rows in single crochet, then several rows in double crochet. You can also use different colors to make stripes. You can keep the stripes a uniform width, or make some thick and some thin.
  • You can also choose to not work through the BLO on every row. If you work through both loops, you won’t get the ridge effect every other row. You can also work BLO on one round, then FLO (front loop only) on the next. This will put all of the ridges on the same side of the blanket.

16 Likes

I have always liked the idea of making a chevron blanket. I will come back and follow this tutorial when I do. :blush:

2 Likes

Bookmarking! Thank you so much, I have frogged so many starts at this.

3 Likes

Also bookmarking! Chevron is one blanket I have yet to get the hang of. Thank you.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pointers…it seems I am always adding or skipping stitches to try to even out my chevron blankets…if I get them straight, it is purely by accident! Now I see what I am doing…I love the colors you have picked as well…I do chevron blankets because I love to see certain color combinations…

4 Likes

Yes I’ve had that issue on chevron and other styles of afghans. I’m bookmarking this tutorial.

BTW, I look the colours in the first example.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for these tips and the detailed photos! Hugely helpful for ends of rows, not just chevron :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the tutorial. I love the pink and grey together.

2 Likes

Step one: learn to croched XD

I love chevron patterns, and I especially love pink, grey and black as a colour combination :smiley: Great tutorial, even though I don’t know how to read patterns, yet XD

2 Likes

I’d also be up for a personal swap. :smile:

1 Like

That would be awesome, but I don’t know what I could offer, and also, the thought of international shipping is always one thing that I don’t want to make people do XD

1 Like

Thank you so much for posting this! I’ve made this blanket a few times, and it’s always a roll of the dice whether or not it comes out right! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Are we supposed to chain 3 at the end of the row?

Yes. :woman_facepalming: I will edit. Thanks for catching that :blush:

Well, yes if you’re doing the double crochet. If you’re working the single crochet, you’d only chain one.

It’s probably obvious to more advanced crocheters but I’ve only made a couple of blankets and it’s been a while.

1 Like

I’m glad you asked! I now have patterns tested because of mistakes like this. They are just a small detail, but a detail that is needed nonetheless. :blush:

What colors are you making your blanket? I hope to see it when you finish! :hearts:

1 Like

Hi! Another question, sorry. I’m used to working into the top of the chain, the chain acting as a stitch but this isnt the case for this blanket? Even after skipping the second to last stitch, the last one is still the one before the chain. Its creating an uneven look becauae there ends up being two stitches on the end(one stitch and one chain) every other row but only one stitch on the end for the others.

Maybe you somehow got an extra stitch on that end? Or is it like that on both ends for you? You can always crochet into the loop left by the chain three instead of into the last stitch one one row to even it out, and then continue from there.

Okay so here’s my issue. At the end of a row, you do your peak which is three DC in one stitch, then you chain 8, skip a stitch, and DC a 9th stitch. This leaves a small gap with one stich after that gap on the end. Then you chain 3, put a DC into the first stitch, skip one, then chain 8. This not only puts two stitches on the end after the small gap which doesn’t match the previous row, but it creates 10 stitches with the chain acting as one. So do I not work into the chain and just ignore it? I feel like i should not be working that DC into the first stitch.