SOCKALONG with me - Knit, Crochet, Loom

I forgot to post my finished socks here. The pattern is called Banyan.
banyan

and I picked up some more sock yarn this weekend so more coming soon.

8 Likes

I have yet to start mine!

1 Like

Very nice! Love the pattern…a very pretty pair to wear

1 Like

OK…I finished knitting one of the socks…even though I checked my gauge and needles, I must have knit too loose because the sock is too big for my feet…they are sort of like lounge around slipper socks and can’t be worn even with my clogs…

So, do I continue to knit the second sock with the other skein using a different pattern or go down a few sizes in needle and unravel the sock when it comes time? Or just make the second sock to match the one I already did?

What would you do? I don’t think they would fit anyone else because it isn’t the length that is the problem, it is the chubbiness of the sock…and it gets worse as I wore it because it started to stretch…ugh…

I washed it in hot water and am blocking it now to see if maybe it will shrink and fit better, but it is washable wool mixed with nylon…

I hate when that happens…what would you do?

2 Likes

Personally, I would add embellishments and call it a Stocking and save it for Christmas to use to gift something to someone so I could just start fresh without frogging a whole. Finished. Sock.

But, I’m a lunatic so…

2 Likes

Yeah–it is still drying on a sock mold…I might use the second skein to make a sock yarn hat and call it a win…I have two other pairs going so it won’t be missed…

2 Likes

How frustrating! It’s a sad day when that happens.

I honestly would frog it and either knit another pair of socks or something else with the yarn.

Also why is it when we are knitting and know there is a mistake do we not fix it then? I always wait 20 more rows or until I’m finished, then know the mistake is there and have to frog it.

1 Like

I actually compared the size and tried it on as I did the leg…the part that was too large was the instep…I have a high arch…

It is better now that I have washed it…but still on the fence…

This was a top down sock…I like doing toe up socks because you can get the fit on the foot before doing the long leg part…

I am like you, I think…I am inclined to frog it and do it again after I make a sock with the other skein…sigh

1 Like

I finally remembered to take a picture of my proto-sock!

I’m knitting the Tracks pattern in some Patons Kroy that’s been in my stash for four or five years. Size 1 needles on heavy fingering makes for super dense socks, but I like the rustic, sturdy look.

I cast on during the Super Bowl so this is pretty good progress for me! I’ve been trying to make sure I get at least 5 rounds knit each day.

7 Likes

Great progress! I like those colors, too.

1 Like

I started a new pair last night, toe up, and only have 5 rows done, but it’s a start. I’ve had a really hard time getting any crafting done with all the snow we are getting. DH just had a hip replacement so can’t help and it just seems to keep snowing! I need to move somewhere warmer so I can have more crafting time.

1 Like

Well that sock was coming out too large, I have that problem when doing toe up. So I frogged it and started a different pattern, top down this time!

1 Like

lol we seem to have the opposite problem! My sock is always too large going top down! I am going to just start another pair and take about twelve stitches out. I have narrow feet and wear size 7 so most sock patterns are just too large for me!

1 Like

Do you ever use sock weight yarn and a pattern that is knit for sport or DK weight? That way you wouldn’t need to downsize. My problem is narrow feet, but a fat calf.

2 Likes

This sock… * shakes fist at the sky *

After re-starting my second sock I had finally gotten to the end, or so I thought. By my tally, it was time to start the toe. Comparing it to the first sock, it looked like it was time to start the toe. So I knit the toe, stitched it up, tried it on… and it’s too short.

So I get to rip back and try again. I will be so glad when this pair is off my needles and out of my house.

2 Likes

I threw the one sock I made into the WIP basket…I frog it but later…ugh…I hate that…

I found a bunch of scrappy yarns that I put in a ziplock to make scrappy socks…I think I will start on those…I love making socks, but not TWICE of the same one!

I am going to switch to toe up…I feel I have more control over the size as long as the foot fits…

2 Likes

Sigh. Still waiting to dive into trying my new sock loom. I have a few ‘must finish first’ items that I’m trying to get off my plate. Thankfully I’ve finished most of those. The two skeins of sock yarn I bought to use with my loom, and the 2 pattern books are calling my name, demanding to be put to use.

3 Likes

I haven’t even cast on my planned yoga socks yet. I keep looking at the yarn but making myself go look at (note: I didn’t say actually crochet) the blanket project. I need to gear up on that if I’m serious about getting it done in time for a birthday gift.

But the socks are newwwwww… they calll meeeeeee lol

2 Likes

Enjoying a beautiful lunch time sitting in the sun and getting a few rows in on my plain cotton socks…total progress this year, so slow-going!

Note that it’s only slow and bleh because the yarn doesn’t feel nice to work with and there’s nothing interesting about the yarn or pattern visually, so I don’t have huge motivation to spend time on the project; making socks in general CAN be fun and rewarding, I swear!

5 Likes

I just finished my first sock in years and it’s really comfortable and pretty! I inherited a bunch of sock yarn so I will be making more.

7 Likes