Star Wars and Scraps Birthday Quilt

After making loads of quilts, masks, and various other things, my scrap pile was getting out of hand. It all got cut down to 3.5" squares, and that was enough for two twin-sized quilts if I added a little border to each. It’s 73" x 91".

This is the first time I’ve used wool batting in a quilt. It was so much loftier than cotton, but really easy to use.

This is the first of the quilts, for my DS2’s 7th birthday. He asked for a Mandalorian-themed quilt, so it has a Grogu border and a panel of various Mandalorian fabrics on the back. He’ll be getting some mom-made pillowcases to match, too.

23 Likes

Love all the Star Wars fabrics, and the scraps were put to good use! Is wool batting machine washable? Just curious.

2 Likes

Deliriously fantabulous! Love love love :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

This is awesome!

3 Likes

What a great quilt! He’ll love it! And the matching pillowcases, too. I hope we’ll get a peek at those when they are done!

3 Likes

Thanks! And, yes, it’s washable in cold water. The batting has a small amount of polyester fiber mixed in that acts like a glue when they heat it, to bond the fiber together, and the wool is superwash.

2 Likes

Thank you! He does like it (can’t really hide projects around here). I will post the pillowcases when they’re done - I’m working really close to my deadline! But, the fabric is washed and pressed, and these go together pretty quickly.

3 Likes

Scraptastic!

2 Likes

Scraps and Star Wars?!? I just fainted from awesome overload!

4 Likes

I love the variety on this quilt, yet it is still Star Wars! Very fun.

2 Likes

Looks like there is lots of love put into your quilt :smiling_face:
Love all the different fabrics :smiley:

1 Like

Awww! Thanks, guys!

What a great gift for you DS2! I can’t wait to see the coordinating pillowcases!

1 Like

I made the coordinating pillowcases tonight.

I also washed the quilt…normal cycle, cold water, tumble dried it normally. It did scrunch up just a little bit, but no more than a cotton quilt would have. It is so soft and has such great loft.

5 Likes

Holy Mom of the year! This is so great. Those stars you quilted it with are phenomenal. What a great little added bonus. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

As always, I am in awe of your quilting skills! I really like what you did with the borders and those stars work perfectly with the theme. I love how they show up on the backing fabric! I also love that you were able to take all those scrappy fabrics and work them into the Star Wars theme. It’s like an I-Spy/Star Wars quilt all rolled into one! And those pillowcases are the perfect final touch!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m really happy with how it turned out. There will, hopefully, be quite a few I-Spy quilts this year.

2 Likes

I love this and it’s companion quilt. Scrappy quilts are awesome and these two are particularly gorgeous.

2 Likes