Stoneware Bird Masks!

As part of my current small solo show which included some paintings as well, I was most excited about handbuilding these masks of some of our endemic forest birds.
On the island of O’ahu, there are twelve species known to have lived since the arrival of western colonizers in 1778, and I made a wall mask of each of these twelve.

I think the most challenging part of the project was trying to bring to life these little birds that are now super rare, and many have been gone for a while.

(I guess it was also challenging to play around with what might help keep these buggers balanced and stable while hanging on the wall.)

Apologies in advance for the number of photos, but I wanted to show them all without spamming with separate posts for each!

(They’re each approximately the size that would fit on a human head.)

Pueo

'i’iwi

O’ahu 'Ō’ō

O’ahu 'Akialoa

‘Apapane

O’ahu ‘Elepaio

O’ahu ‘Amakihi

'Āmaui

O’ahu ‘Ālauahio

O’ahu ‘Akepa

'Ō’ū

O’ahu Nukupu’u

26 Likes

Those masks are so incredibly detailed and beautiful!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! 🩵

1 Like

What an amazing display of bird masks. You caught their essence perfectl. Neautiful.

2 Likes

I adore them all! So many amazing details on each and they have so much personality and depth. Just gorgeous!

2 Likes

These are so amazing!

2 Likes

Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing them along side the paintings…it really brings them to life.

2 Likes

Wow, they are amazing!

2 Likes

These_are_stunning. Stunning! I can only imagine how impactful each would have been to see in person, as I think there is only a hint of that seeing the full display shown from the side here and straight on in your paintings post

3 Likes

Thank you so much, everyone! :blue_heart:

1 Like

These are so stunning! Truly beautiful work my friend.

2 Likes

Awww thank you. 🩵

1 Like

These are INCREDIBLE! You can tell so much love and care was put into these. They are all so beautiful! I am in complete awe. Gorgeous!

Has @artsycandice seen these? She loves birds.

2 Likes

Wow! Absolutely amazing work. Love, love the textures.

These are all amazing and lovely! Great work

Your display is wonderful. The masks are stunning, and I found it very interesting to learn a bit about your native birds.

1 Like

Your birds are phenomenal. I really like the textures you used to being them to life.

1 Like

Thank you so much! It’s interesting to see how many people can’t figure out what they’re made of! Seems like a lot of folks think they’re wood!

1 Like

:cherry_blossom: :owl: :purple_heart: Your amazing Stoneware Bird Masks are a Featured Project this week! Congratulations! :purple_heart: :owl: :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

These are so cool! I like the concept & the execution both. :green_heart:

1 Like