Thing-A-Day February Craftalong 2020

What a cute little dress. Such a great way to use fabric scraps. I never tried my hands at making doll clothes.

I didn’t notice there’s a DeStash-Along. I tried joining one years back on Craftster but had to realize that I’m not good at following year long threads.

I’m open to swapping my fabric though.

1 Like

@geekgirl i hope it’s not garlic, that would be a tragedy.

I am wracking my brains to think of anything I made yesterday, but unless writing an exam paper counts, there was nothing. But I made brownies today, had a mad craving for chocolate cake…nice…

3 Likes

I made brownies, too. Well, actually it was my daughter who was really eager to bake. I did the measuring and and she took care of the mixing. It’s so much fun to bake with kids.

1 Like

all this talk of brownies is making me want some. This is my favorite recipe https://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/dark-chocolate-fudge-brownies/

1 Like

Thank you. I created a little template and cut them out by hand. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Sunday: figured out tiny sticker-making (without a sticker machine)! Tested it out with text and finished this ATC. Which, yes, was started back in November and then forgotten.

Monday: slow cooking and whole foods, for the most part, and I made a lot of metadata in between. :grin:

Tuesday : created a new project topic from the stickers!

5 Likes

So, this evening’s make was a fail! I was attempting this - https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/454933999860964047/

But I cannot make it open :frowning: It just pulls away from the card on one side or both! I will have another go another day, but unfortunately there is only this short video to go on - the link goes to a shop - but I really don’t know where I went wrong!

On a more important, and successful, note, I did make 8 girls Brownies this evening through running a Promise ceremony, so the day has not been a complete failure :smiley:

9 Likes

@seeuudee
Have a look at this one
https://pin.it/bceblb4ttgdy5o

(Sorry about funny link - it is for pinterest! )
It’s a BuzzFeed Mexico video. Different flowers, but put together the same way and I think this one is clearer about what to glue where🤞
Love your flowers - would be a shame if you can’t get it to work.

2 Likes

No picture today, but adding some more photos to my LV scrapbook.

4 Likes

I printed out (ok, paid someone else to print) & cut up bookmarks for my kid to give out as valetines.

(Her school mascot is owls, so she requested “bookmarks with owls and hearts.” They’re from here, about half-way down the page.)

7 Likes

Today I finished (I think) my other masterboard in progress, but the photos are terrible, so I’m going to try them again tomorrow in daylight. Thanks to everyone for the kind comments on yesterday’s!

@calluna great workaround on the stickers. And I love the background on that ATC.

@geekgirl why did you have to show me that brownie recipe? :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Today, I’m making a huge pot of creamy beef, mushroom and vegetable soup for my department’s pot luck lunch at work. We’re doing soups, salads, breads and desserts, which sounds delicious.

Last time, our theme was football finger foods. Um…yeah…I don’t sports ball so I didn’t enjoy that pot luck much.

5 Likes

I did a million little things today, mostly in the way of spring cleaning. I feel very accomplished!

In between all that I also whipped up another dish cloth, and made a batch of vegan ‘havarti’ cheese.

6 Likes

@MistressJennie I love havarti, but have never heard of a vegan version. How do they compare taste wise? I’d love to try this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have hot washed and dried a set of wool yarn dryer balls about a dozen times now, it took days. I am afraid to remove them from the stocking they’re tied up in because they still don’t look felted to me!

2 Likes

This is the first recipe I’ve tried out of a book called One Hour Dairy Free Cheese, which was written by a woman known for making real cheese, and who runs a company called Urban Cheesecraft. She turned to vegan alternatives when her partner needed to switch to an anti-inflammatory diet.

The cheese I made today was… interesting. It has the flavor profile of havarti down, but the texture was odd. Not as dense as it should be. A bit more spongy. It didn’t cook as the book described it would. It seemed to be nearly ‘set’ well before I added the agar, and once I did, it was very thick, but the book said to cook it for 5 mins. It started to ‘break’ (the oil separate out) after about 2 minutes, so I stopped cooking, and poured it into the molds. I want to try a few more recipes, and see if the same thing happens again. I’m not sure if it’s the agar type I used, or that I used cashew milk yogurt instead of water. (The book stated use either water or vegan yogurt, and since I had some, I used the yogurt. She also sells a special quick-set agar, that can be added right into the blender, and not be activated by cooking first, but I used the regular agar powder.) I’ll report back after trying some more recipes.

3 Likes

You made the cheese! Awesome!

@Bajita That lunch sounds really good- what time should we get there? lol
@thanate Cute owls!
@seeuudee I’m sorry it is giving you trouble, it looks really pretty tho!
@calluna Great work figuring out that sticker stuff!
@Trillian your dresses are always cute as a button!
@AIMR Thanks for the solidarity! I am going to continue. I figure if it took me this long to really see it and I am staring directly at it for hours at a time then I’m probably safe. lol
Oh, and I figured out what happened- I have 2 K hooks and one of them (the one I used to start the project) measures in at 6.5mm. When I took the project back out after months of not working on it I saw in my notes that I used the K hook and seem to have picked up the other hook but it was making really big stitches and now I know why- it measures at 8mm!
Who would have thought??

2 Likes

@AntBee Around 11:30 am. :wink:

1 Like

@LindaP has been trying to convince me to join a unicorn atc swap on another site. So, my 2nd thing for today is unicorn #1 .

6 Likes

love it! Seems like there are just a few people left over there to swap with, but I sure am missing swaps…it feels odd to craft for myself…ha ha ha

but, I did…here is my thing today:

12 Likes