Thing-A-Day February Craftalong 2020

Do you want to challenge yourself and boost your creativity or output? Need motivation to work on a long project, or finish ones that are almost done? Want to feel the satisfaction of having Done A Thing today?

Join us in February as we try to get crafty with it for 29 days in a row!

What counts as your thing for the day? That’s up to you! Some people set a time requirement for themselves, like 15 or 30 minutes of work, but there are no official rules. Your thing could be a finished object, or it could be just working a bit on a larger project. Making food counts too!

:art: :hammer: :camera_flash: :scissors: :open_book: :fountain_pen: :stew:

We encourage sharing pictures of what you did each day. If you’re the list making type, you may make a post that you edit as you go to see all your things at once. But make sure you still post a new reply to the thread - it’s easy to miss an edit if it’s buried way upthread. And we want to see and encourage eachother!

If you’d like your tracking post linked, let me know and I will list them here. :blue_heart:

13 Likes

This will be my list!

Possible things to do: throw pillow embroidery, bake bread, bake apple turnovers, mug rugs, pillow cases, art journal pages, yoga mat bag

1. Holiday card ornament :ballot_box_with_check:
  2. Begin shadowbox project :ballot_box_with_check:
  3. Holiday card ornament #2 :ballot_box_with_check:
  4. no craft day :heavy_multiplication_x:
  5. Holiday card ornament #3 :ballot_box_with_check:
  6. Holiday card ornament #3 (finish) :ballot_box_with_check:
  7. Cushion for challenge project :ballot_box_with_check:
  8. Work on shadowbox :ballot_box_with_check:
  9. Finish 1st shadowbox niche :ballot_box_with_check:
  10. Homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese :ballot_box_with_check:
  11. Song lyrics :ballot_box_with_check:
  12. Handkerchief embroidery :ballot_box_with_check:
  13. Valentine picture frames :ballot_box_with_check:
  14. Cannoli cream dip :ballot_box_with_check:
  15. Work on challenge project :ballot_box_with_check:
  16. Finish challenge project :ballot_box_with_check:
  17. Mac & cheese :ballot_box_with_check:
  18. Shortbread apple bars :ballot_box_with_check:
  19. Masterboard :ballot_box_with_check:
  20. Cut figures for ATCs :ballot_box_with_check:
  21. Finish masterboard ATCs :ballot_box_with_check:
  22. Chocolate strawberries :ballot_box_with_check:
  23. Bead lizard 1 :ballot_box_with_check:
  24. Bead lizard 2 :ballot_box_with_check:
  25. Hot chocolate cookies :ballot_box_with_check:
  26. House painting :ballot_box_with_check:
  27. House painting :ballot_box_with_check:
  28. Swap ATC :ballot_box_with_check:
  29. Book gift disguise :ballot_box_with_check:

28/29 done!

1 Like

I love this craft-along & so hope I can manage another year of it even though I’ve started a full time job. Maybe some days might just be tidying up or addressing envelops but I’ll make the best effort I can to be crafty every day!

3 Likes

This is the craftalong that I told myself I need to do this year. So glad we have this new site so I can do it!
Saving a spot for my list.

I’m planning some pom pom crafts, paper crafts, some quick knitting things and maybe some drawings.

2 Likes

I’m in, I tried to do it for January and I reckon I was about 70/80% successful. Which massively increased my creative output.

I’m not sure what would be on my list, but I’m in a big patchwork vein at the moment. So some of that, I also need to make myself a steampunk outfit, finish a renaissance outfit, do things with the mountain of pretty papers I have and of course there’s always meal prepping

4 Likes

I’m kind of tempted to try doing a drawing/painting every day for the month. I’m pretty terrible at doing daily things like keeping a journal etc. - too easily distracted - but this thread could be good encouragement … hmmmm…

2 Likes

I made every day in Jan, EXCEPT ONE. Boo!

So yes, I’m on for this. But I’ve no list. I’m keeping track in a tiny little calendar. And I’m already considering how to visualize it. I was not surprised by which topics showed up repeatedly, as knitting a wearable takes considerably longer than a stamp carving project (days vs hours). With Feb. coming, I’m also considering monitoring time? But just as a general time value, because that would be fun to visualize (trended graph), but don’t want to make it so onerous I stop making.

4 Likes

I like this idea and will do my best but … we are visiting our 2 grand daughters for a week in February … so I’ll do my best :smiley:

When at home I plan to work on quilting projects and while away I’ll crochet on my shawl.

2 Likes

I think life has finally lined up that I could actually make something everyday in Feb! Count me in!

2 Likes

I‘m in.
I‘m currently planing some larger projects so I need to break them down into daily chunks.

1. fabric stash decluttering
  2. kids chairs
  3. completed flooring for new office
  4. Brownies
  5. :heavy_multiplication_x: (long hours at work left no room for crafting :slightly_frowning_face:)
  6. fabric stash organization
  7. fabric stash organization
  8. cut desk top for new office
  9. stained and finished desk top
  10. assembled first part of desk
3 Likes

Tentatively claiming a spot here in hopes it will obligate me to follow through. I’ll probably focus on just working on something each day rather than having set finishing goals.

1. Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers
  2. Mini Bookmark from Mini Masterboard -- ART 2020 Q1 Challenge Entry
  3. Collage-y Inchies
  4. Bookmarks (posted later in this thread)
  5. Masterboard (posted later in this thread)
  6. A Mighty Wind ATCs
  7. Pasta with broccoli, tomato, and cheese
  8. Baby headband; cupcake display
  9. Zetti experiments
  10. Mini muffins
2 Likes

I like how you think! Ok, I’m draping my knitting bag over this chair right here…

• wanders off to make tea *
4 Likes

February is 29 days so if you could do 30, then you got this!

3 Likes

@JoyfulClover I am keeping track with the everyday app. It’s a free habit tracker where you can set reminders. You click in to mark something as done. It is a nice little app, plain and simple.

2 Likes

@WileESongDog - yes Leap Year Feb is doable! And the one day I missed, I had been going all.day. And I sat there and thought…I could knit just one line. Or I could go to bed.

And < BOOM > bed it was.

@Edel I will check this out! I like easy-peasy!

2 Likes

This looks like a fun challenge and will definitely help with the stash.

… or so I tell myself … :crazy_face:

February

1. I made a mess! Spent time sorting through clothes to donate/keep, and also fabric stash.
  2. DD came over and tried teaching me to use her cricut.
  3. haluski (cabbage and noodles) with sausage/kielbasa
4 Likes

I am so tempted by this … I’ll have to look at my want-to-do list tonight and figure out the feasibility, since I’m pretty sure my brain would interpret “make something” as “finish something” so I need to see if I can get enough smaller projects lined up to have a shot at doing that 29 days in a row.

2 Likes

I think this is a good time and place to start a multi-piece project I’ve had in mind. I won’t post daily, because I am relying on the scanner at my office for the imaging, but I will do a little something daily and share several days at a time.

2 Likes

I’ve already got a list in the 50 project thread, so I’m not going to make one here, but I cannot wait for February to start! My fingers are itching to know the stitchalong theme!

2 Likes

I think I’m in on this one. I have to put some thought into my project though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes