Thing-A-Day February Craftalong 2020

I bought the pattern that @edel used for her green quilt and purchased fabric (hoping my sewing machine doesn’t break down sewing through the cough cough Ohio State fabric) today. The large boxes will be the sports fabric, the 3 smaller squares will be the school colors plus black, and white sashing.

4 Likes

lol As a Purdue grad, I would have a hard time working with those fabrics…my husband is a Penn State guy so he probably wouldn’t even let those fabrics in the house…ha ha (BUT, red, black and white is a favorite color combo of mine…and the other team with those colors? Alabama! )…in the name of crafting for a friend, you can do it! ha ha

3 Likes

@AIMR ooh I like that wonky coin. I do like the white borders.

@Lynx I’m looking forward to seeing how that goes.

2 Likes

Finally finished the main part of the desk. Didn’t quite manage to get it done yesterday.

Now it’s hubby’s task to clear his office and put it in the right place.

7 Likes

Today I made BBQ bacon for Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich. My entire house smells like heaven.
IMG_0808

And now I’m working on my ongoing shawl project.

7 Likes

The very existence of this thread is accountability - I was falling asleep, having made nothing today, and remembering this fact got me out of bed to knit one row on my sock project, so I could say I did something. Okay, now I will really go to sleep!

7 Likes

I started a project for the paper/mixed media craftalong Zetti challenge. I still need to add some more elements, but I like it so far.

7 Likes

So I’ve been lurking and loving everyone’s work. I’m going to join in even though I might be missing a few days. I do make fairly large smoothies every day for lunch, so I think that counts as making something.

So far I have started an embroidery samples, which I keep putting off, and made some bracelets from a kid’s kit instead. For food, I’ve made cold brew, espresso, chili twice, and meal prepped with tofu and veggies. In general crafts, I’ve cut cardboard into sheets, put up wall art, made more wall art, doodled on my hands which then turned into some small tattoos, dyed my hair, and used a gel nail kit.

I just dyed a yellow dress black today. I used RIT, but only one box, so it would turn out a bit faded. I’m loving it so far, but it’s hard to photograph. I will have to post the tattoos once they’re healed. Tomorrow I will probably paint a base coat on some canvases I have ideas for.

5 Likes

Where else can you see you a hand crafted desk, yummy bacon, a quilt in progress, and a beautiful master board all on one page? You guys are doing great!!! Even a little progress is better than no progress…so yeah, always a few rows on my shawl as well.

@zubrickk I almost got tired reading your post! You have indeed gotten a lot more done than you think…mmmm smoothies…do you do the same one each day or do you have a favorite? I am getting tired of my normal yogurt, berries, protein powder ones…

4 Likes

I have no pictures to share this time, but yesterday my partner and I made tomato red pepper soup and grilled cheese with avocado and sauteed mushrooms. It was great! Lots of leftover soup too.

Today my act of creativity was writing song lyrics for my TTRPG group. We’re playing Werewolf the Apocalypse right now and my character had to tell the tale of our glorious battle so we could advance in rank. I rewrote the lyrics to the Gilligan’s Island theme and sang them for everyone. :smile:

4 Likes

11/29 … one row done on my shawl and then decided I had to work on something else, too, so I started an afghan …

7 Likes

Such pretty yarn!

3 Likes

Wow, so many amazing crafts - @AIMR I love all of your little embroidered/boro pieces - can’t wait to see the finished project.

I have made some twinchies, which I am hiding, just in case anyone from the Facebook swap group is here. I don’t think they are, but just in case.

Twinchies

And now working on some inchies. Found some gorgeous tissue paper, stuck some of the butterflies to card, fussy cut out two and layered them.

@calluna I agree and I love that it is challenging me. Tuesday’s is Brownies night, so I usually get in feeling drained and do nothing (we have a very loud and boisterous group of girls currently), but last night I needed to have something to add :smiley:

6 Likes

Well crap, I was so proud of having the right amount of fabric (well, too much, oops) and cutting it out. Now I realized I cut the stupid Ohio State fabric the wrong direction. I was looking at the fat quarter cut chart and not the direction the pieces go in the picture so it is all the wrong way! Sooo, look who’ll be improvising from now on.

3 Likes

I hate when that happens…but maybe you can cut it in half and add to make it back to the shape you need!

2 Likes

It looks like I can piece blocks like normal (just with OSU print sideways) but have to piece blocks differently than in the pattern. I have extra fabric, so I can make more blocks, too, if I need them.

3 Likes

I made a “green” smoothie every day. I use spinach or kale, then whatever frozen fruit is on sale, canned pineapple, some flaxseed, sunbutter, and protein powder. It tastes pretty good. It looks less green and more beige, lol.

2 Likes

Bah, let the recipient turn the blanket around if they want the text right-side up; you’re already doing so much. You could just leave as-is and claim it was an intentional, passive-aggressive statement against that team. :laughing:

5 Likes

Maybe I’ll add a wonderful yellow block of Michigan fabric in it somewhere! That would be passive aggressive! Ha!

But, it’s a wedding gift, so I shan’t.

3 Likes

Thanks…I do like spinach in my smoothies…I just buy a bag of organic baby spinach leaves…pineapple…mmmm…I haven’t had that in a while…

2 Likes