Thing-A-Day February Craftalong 2020

Lol sounds like something I would do!

3 Likes

Yesterday I made a yummy soup and a bunch of smallish masterboards:

I’m happy with the look of the photos added in, so I don’t know whether I’ll cut them down very much.

Continuing the photo destash today, I’m turning a pile of 5x7" and 4x6" photos into postcards just by covering the backs with gesso and then drawing the standard postcard structure. I’ll do something arty with some of the photos, but for today they aren’t too interesting to look at.

5 Likes

They are all lovely, but the purple one is especially so in my eyes!

I would be interested in more projects to do with photos as well. I threw out hundreds before I moved but am still left with more than I know what to do with…I am using some for art projects and scanning some for posterity…in my downsizing efforts, I am going to have to purge through almost six boxes of actual photographs and another three boxes of slides!

2 Likes

Eek, that is a lot. Getting rid of that much of anything leads me to feel like there’s a perfect use for it just out of my mind’s reach, and I’m only going to realize it after the fact.:persevere: Too much of a given supply does feel kind of debilitating/overwhelming, though.

Your manila folder book was actually was got me recharged to find more things to do with these photos. I started making a book that has large photos folded up to be pocket pages, and I’d imagine there’s a way to turn some of the other photos into altered tags.

Speaking of tags, since you’re a giver of many gifts, why not cut some of those photos into gift tags!

3 Likes

I will probably print fabric from some of the pictures to make something from them…I also thought about some sort of themed journals…I am not really interested in the color photos of kids, events, places, etc…I am sure I will think of something as I look through them…

As a matter of fact, just typing this, I think I will use some of the Japanese photos and my vintage kimono fabrics to make something… hmmmm

ha ha This is what I retired for…to get these kind of things done!

3 Likes

Decided to make a bunch of yo-yo flowers for my fabric twine wreath…finished the wreath and hung it on this beautiful sunny day! Added some seashells I collect when we go walking…

11 Likes

That is just so lovely!! The sealshells are the perfect touch and yoyo flowers are great!! Nice job! Now I want one!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It makes me happy that other people also have a crazy collection of rubber ducks :smiley: Ours are taking over the bathroom windowsill!

@calluna The masterboards are all lovely, but the purple and red are my favourites :heart_eyes:

I have been crafting every day, but only just getting a chance to sort some photos to upload, so apologies for a photo overload.

First up some inchies -

Building the backgrounds…

Finished inchies - hidden as they have not arrived with my swap partner yet :)

A set of ATCoins -

Building the backgrounds…

Also not arrived with swap partner yet :)

The zentangle hearts were cut from a 5" by 5" square that I doodled in gold.

I made some cheese, onion and potato rolls, which looked a bit messy, but tasted amazing.

And lastly I followed this tutorial - How to Make Paper Hyacinth Flowers - to make some hyacinth flowers. I was so pleased with how they came out, a bit fiddly to start with, but definitely got easier as I went along.

10 Likes

You have been busy! Those hearts are lovely. Can’t wait to see the inchies…hope they arrive soon!

And you are really getting into the flower making with paper! I love how they curl!

2 Likes

Ooo cheese onion and potato rolls!! Sounds delicious. And the flowers look lovely!

1 Like

Using some yarn I received from my very last Instagram swap (I deleted my account a month ago) to crochet a little tonight.

7 Likes

Been a few days since I checked in. I made an absurdly (and accidentally overly red) dinner on Valentine’s. I worked on my shawl and made a bracelet on Saturday. Yesterday I made a miniature for the Miniaturize Your Craft Challenge, and today I made a second one of the mini, because the first came out pretty cute. I’ll post pics (and a recipe) for the crazy red dinner, and bracelet tomorrow. Waiting to post pics of the minis, until a miniature prop I ordered to go with them arrives. There was just no way I could make the mini prop without running mad, so I paid a nice crafter in Canada to send me some. Can’t wait to show them to you guys!

5 Likes

I’ve been working on something with my stash of buttons for the last few days. It doesn’t look the way I want so I keep adding more paint and glitter. I might have to give up after I add plastic rhinestones, lol.

4 Likes

I’ve been tempted to do the same.

1 Like

I’ve been quiet, but crafting.

The usual crocheting for my jumper. Made some flower embellishments but need photos.

Played with powertex and made these

Used a computer drawing pad for the first time yesterday. Used it to plan out some design ideas for my exam piece. It was fun and much easier than doing it on paper.

Completely forgot :woman_facepalming:I also drew this

9 Likes

I made one using your 2 loop method. I really like how much fuller it is. Although I did mine more like 2 large picot stitches than a loop in the front and a loop in the back loop. (I would slip stitch in next stitch, chain 10, slip stithc, chain 10 more then single crochet, then slip stitch in next stitch )

I also used I love this cotton and sprayed with endust. the dust really did stick to it.

1 Like

I like that idea! Keeps the loops from becoming too floppy being held by only one strand!

I think I might try to make some sort of mitt with the same idea only using my hand as the “wand”…sometimes I put a sock on my hand and just go around dusting…same idea only with more loops…I don’t mind cleaning when I am in the mood and I have the right stuff

3 Likes

a mitt is a great idea!

2 Likes

I saw one made of fleece that looked like it would work, but I put it on the back burner…I am tired of making utilitarian things at the moment and I did just get my new watercolors, so…dust be damned!

2 Likes

That’s the spirit! It is a life philosophy as well. :sparkles::grin::sparkles:

2 Likes