I have been wanting to make something from the hoard of vintage linens I have been collecting over the years and I finally had some dedicated time to do it! I decided to use mostly “rescued” yardage (from estate and yard sales, thrift stores, stashes passed along to me), too!
So here’s a ton of pics and words!
I had about 15.5" of this fun trim from a baggie of trims I picked up somewhere and I really liked how it went with this stripe that was a designer sample from a home dec store I was given by a friend.
The trim was stablized by fusing it to a cotton strip, then trimmed and stitched over an ivory stripe.
The back is the same fabric which has a really nice hand and was very nice to sew. If anyone were to describe this pillow to me, I don’t think I’d like it at all, but I actually really love it.
I had a single peachy-coral hemstitched napkin and I loved how it looked with this white and peachy-pink doily! I used some vintage rusty-brown bias tape behind the hemstitch rather than line the whole thing, because this napkin was quite thick already.
I attacehd the doily at the 2nd to center circle, a circle about half way out and then radial lines from there to 12 points along the edge. THe doily is stable against too much sagging, but maintains it’s frilliness.
The back is plain white linen from my stash.
A sweet hanky stabilized by fusing to white cotton, vintage ric rac to cover the edge, burgundy narrow wale corduroy that was from an estate stash.
This one is also backed with the same corduroy.
Another doily model! This one has 11 points and is attached to a large scale paisley that was the remnant from dog beds I made over a dozen years ago.
This doily is attached in a similar manner as the other one to keep the ruffliness but also keep it from sagging much at all.
Backed with with paisley.
This is one that I am keeping for me! A vintage hanky that seemed like it had never been used or even laundered that I got just a couple weeks ago at a garage sale… for free!
Again stabilized with fusible interfacing. Attached by sewing around the edges in a narrow zigzag, and then straight stitched along the white edges of the stems and leaves.
The body is the same upholstery velvet I used for this pillow and was from an estate of a friend of a friend.
All of them have zipper closures at the bottom, I was only able to find a few stash zippers, so did buy most of them. The peachy-coral is for a 15" form, the irises are for a 16", and the rest are for 14" forms.