Tips and Tricks for New Users

type this without the space after the @

@ discobot start advanced tutorial

2 Likes

@cyn-energy You beat me to it, i was just checking how I started it, so I could tell you the proper command.

1 Like

Hahaha I love this little gif! That is all :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Speaking of photos and hosting and costs, if I want to post the same pic multiple places is there a place I can snag the code to just copy and paste, or should I just upload again? I don’t want to cost tons of $ or space (actual AMA citation-style non-coder here) if I just keep uploading.

The only place I can think to grab the code would be in the original post?

This is an excellent question.

Ah. That is one I had not yet covered in the FAQ guidelines, too. Yes, if you were posting in, say, a swap gallery and you want to also post it as a completed project thread (please do!), you can just grab the same code from your swap gallery post.

4 Likes

Somebody was asking about cross posting & I think the answer was only swap items where your partner posts a photo in the gallery than you make the item it’s own topic in the appropriate area.

1 Like

Yeah, same rules as before for this one. Don’t post multiple threads. You can post something from a Craftalong or Swap as its own project thread, though (and we encourage it!).

The gist. :arrow_up:

2 Likes

I hope you will continue to help those of us that are a bit more internet unsavy learn all of these tips and shortcuts, especially if it will help save money, space, etc. I certainly don’t mind a whack on the head if I am doing something that is not cool…

I love the suggestion that came up from the site to respond in one post and not several little posts…that was cool!

I tend to forget that most people are using their phones and don’t see everything like I do on a 17 inch monitor! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ll volunteer to do the whacking … with my wet noodle of course :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Got it, thank you!

Going back a few replies. PLEASE, with extra sprinkles, post your awesome crafts outside of the craftalongs/swaps.

Also, the preview for links is my fave right now. Seriously, my fave.

3 Likes

I am bad at this. Will try to make more effort!

2 Likes

I was never brave enough to do this on the old site until the very end. I am making myself push through and do it here. And I’ve done one already! * nervous shifty eyes *

Thanks for the encouragement!

10 Likes

We are all super nice here. No one will put you down. Everyone is actually extra excited when you’re new to a certain craft because we’re so happy you tried something new and everyone will give you tips and tricks for next time. Even the ‘omg this went totally wrong’ threads are really supportive.

10 Likes

This is so true! In fact, lots of us specifically learn a new craft to make something for a partner just because we know they will love it! And, that excites us all so much!

7 Likes

@Smeddley and I discussed bonus points available in the Nerd Games. We decided to get rid of all bonus points except the community points, and doubled how many points they’re worth. We really want to encourage community participation.

Also, we’d love to see more members post to the craftalong!

6 Likes

Oh wait (the sprinkles thing, but I can’t find the original thing to do the quote thing with and I’m sorta being lazy about it since it was quoted in the last several), so we want more general non-swap related posts, is that what I’m reading? Like that content is being requested? Sorry if I’m being super dense.

1 Like

Yes!! Post your projects!

1 Like

Yep :slightly_smiling_face:

Your projects only get seen by those participating in the swaps or craftalongs for the most part of you don’t post in the community. By sharing in the community, more people get to see your wonderful projects :heart:

4 Likes