Traveling Little Visitor Swap Round 30 - Gallery

That ice octopus is amazing!!

1 Like

We’ve been walking Sitka National Historical Park, aka Totem Park, every morning. So here are a few photos of Perri with some of the poles. When we catch them open and take her into the visitor center we can see some of the older poles that are well over 100 years old.

Here she is with the Yaadaas Crest Pole. “A reproduction of the original pole donated by Chief Saanheit from Kaigani Haida village of Kasaan on Prince of Wales Island in 1901 as a memorial to his people”

Trader Legend Pole
This one is a ridicule pole. “Ridicule poles served to resolve conflicts through peer pressure.This replica pole was carved by Native carvers during 1938-1942”

Baranof and it’s two neighboring islands have one of the densest populations of brown bear in the world. Even in winter we have to keep that in mind…

4 Likes

Everyone looks like they are having a lot of fun! Nessie and I went out the other day as it was a beautiful day (with no dust or smoke!) and had an impromptu picnic lunch while taking photos for the album

5 Likes

And I wish you a speedy recovery from surgery AlishaMisha ! I too have endo and it sucks D:
And I send love to you Ladybugsandbees, I am sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Thank you, deadbathducky. :heart:

My thoughts are with you. I have endo also. Since you are choosing to remain child-free, if you have heavy heavy bleeding you may want to ask about an endometrial ablation. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I was basically period-free for 10 years. It doesn’t make you infertile but does make it dangerous to be pregnant so I never suggest it to people who want to have kids.

3 Likes

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that! I would be devastated if one of ours died. I will be praying for you. It must be so very hard.

1 Like

Had a busy weekend of work work work!

On the west side to be a clinician at a middle school band camp on Saturday… not much to take photos of, except for the creepy rows of palm trees and a different side of the Waianae mountains.

And then a very quick hop over to Maui on Sunday for a rehearsal and concert.

There is some colorful art around the hall, which we had a few moments to see.

Haleakalā was clear when we were leaving. Too bad pictures make her look much smaller than her 10,000+ ft elevation.

3 Likes

Sending big hugs across the pond! I’ve seen the photos and your posts on IG - so sorry to hear she went across the rainbow bridge! :cry:

2 Likes

Aww :cry: Please don’t worry about it. I think everyone here understands.

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone.:broken_heart:

So despite it being a dreary, rainy day here in the Sunshine State and me wanting nothing more than to just stay curled in bed with my cats, instead, I adulted and got my overdue oil change in my car.

Iki had fun playing with the LV-sized tire balance display while we waited. :smile:

Now that I’m home, I think I’ve earned some comfy pants and a nice hot cup of tea!

1 Like

I forgot to take a photo of Mr. Sparkles with my birthday cake tonight, but I will be sure to get some birthday photos with him. I’ll be going out to eat tomorrow night and going to Bryant Park on Sunday, and I’ll be sure to bring him then.

Saturday, we had a proper Day Out Adventure! We drove about 60 miles north out into the country to attend the Brooksville Native American Festival. It’s a yearly two day event with vendors, traditional dancing presentations, Native food (like fry bread), etc. It’s not a huge event, but it’s enjoyable and we try to head out every year. (Though you wouldn’t know to look at my redhead, freckled husband, he’s Blackfeet on his father’s side.)

It was a rainy morning, so we headed out after lunch. It was still overcast, breezy and quite chilly.

The drive out there on I-75 takes us into “hilly” areas by Florida standards.

The dancing demonstrations are always impressive for the beautiful regalia on display.

Here’s a short video of some of the Intertribal dancing. This is both men and women so it’s an assortment of styles. Drumming was performed live by The Red Boyz.

They also have demonstrations of traditional living like this one set up with a very appropriately Florida gator skin.

Iki even got to check out a traditional lodge.

And finally, no Pow Wow is complete without enjoying a bison burger on fry bread. Yum!!

5 Likes

Wow, Iki got so close to the dancers! What a cool experience!

1 Like

Well, Perri is going to see a bit more of Alaska than we planned on. My Aunt (more like a mom) is having emergency open heart surgery so we are flying to the Kenai Peninsula to help her for a couple weeks.
I’ll have internet so I’m still available if anyone has any questions or issues.

2 Likes

Oh, wildfire! I hope your Aunt does well thru the surgery and heals very quickly!

I will be keeping your aunt in my thoughts

Hope the Operation will go well and your aunt recovers from it quickly. Sending hugs across the pond. :hugs:

Vic joined us for our annual “Haggis Drive” fundraiser for our Scout Group. All 3 sections got together with parents/guardians and had a great evening playing the “Haggis game” (it’s actually called Beetle Game but we just change it to Haggis. :wink: It’s loads of fun.
We also have a raffle and some nice Brownies with tea/coffee/juice.

2 Likes