Treat Box from Little Golden Book

I made this treat box from the cover of a Little Golden Book for a friend who has an big accomplishment to celebrate next month. I based it on the second part of this tutorial with a few modifications to suit my materials and taste.

I had picked up the book at a garage sale last summer with this friend in mind and was pretty stoked when I came upon a pin linking to this tutorial.

I was able to utilize my semi-ridiculous paper stash and other tools & supplies on hand to put it all together. The forest floor plants & mushroom were cut with my Sizzix Big Shot using a Tim Holtz set of dies. The butterlfy and flowers are cut with wee punches. They’re inked with pads or markers.

SnowWhiteBox06

SnowWhiteBox07

All the edges of the book board are inked with a gold sharpie, as are the wood screw hold plugs used as feet. I’m not entirely certain what I am going to fill it with, but I have an idea that I plan to explore.

I kind of want to make a bunch more of these with various Little Golden Books! I think I picked up one or two Christmas LGBs so maybe I’ll do some with the some books at the tutorial.

23 Likes

so cute! and now I NEED a gold sharpie.

Thanks! I got a 3-pack of metallic Sharpies: silver, gold, and copper! Now that I type that out, I think the “copper” might be labeled “bronze” but it’s coppery, at least.

1 Like

Nifty! I just love how you take simple paper & turn it into STUFF!!! So cool!

1 Like

Aw, thank you! I definitely kept the pages for further crafting, too!

1 Like

I just checked out the tutorial you linked to find out how to cut the book cover. Scissors, really?

You made some nice upgrades to the tute in both construction and taste.

I had the same thought, but yeah the scissors were much faster! I did use a craft knife for some of the more fiddly parts afterward and to clean up a few bits, but the scissors made quick work of it.

Thank you! I did try to make it have a little finer finish than the tutorial examples and think I was mostly successful. I’m really tickled with the little added feet!

2 Likes

This is so great, I love it! I always keep my eye out for Little Golden Books in op shops (everytime :P) However they are harder and harder to come by as people use them for crafts ~ clever people :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I love this!

1 Like

This is really cool but I love the woodland scene you added to the back and sides best! And the little feet you added! Frosty was pretty scary in that tute! Haha!

1 Like

This is amazing! It feels like that book was made for this.

2 Likes

This is awesome!

1 Like

Wonderful! I love the little feet, too!

1 Like

Thanks, friends!

I agree! Separated from any context, Frosty definitely had a Homicidal Snowman look! :snowman: :axe:

1 Like

I like your box SOOOO much better than the ones in the tutorial! Fantastic!

1 Like

Awwwww, THANK YOU! Mine definitely took longer. :upside_down_face:

How cool! I love the box. Is it pretty sturdy?

Thanks! It is pretty sturdy. I wouldn’t cram stuff into it expecting the sides to withstand pressure, but it’s not flimsy or unstable.

1 Like

Very nice piece!

1 Like

Very cool! I love the way the inside of the box shows the book and you didn’t cover that up.

1 Like