Use the good stuff craftalong

What a gorgeous gift! So luxurious, but also with the love and care that goes into a handmade gift. I have a vintage, silk brocade top/skirt set that I will never fit into again and am having trouble letting go. Maybe I will treat it as part of my stash and make it into other things!

3 Likes

That’s a great idea, if you can’t make a wrap, it would make lovely drawstring bags for travel (wherever we can travel again

1 Like

Yeah. Remember travel? Sigh. Draw string bags are a great idea! I think I will do a throw pillow cover, too. If I remember correctly, there might be some lovely frog closures on the top that would make nice embellishments.

2 Likes

That sounds lovely.

We’ll eventually get over to visit you guys.

2 Likes

YEY! By then we’ll have our gigantic new sofa for which I am planning to make a riot of pillow covers in part to use to good stuff that has been in my hoard stash for up-to-decades.

2 Likes

I think you mean carefully curated collection

12 Likes

:thinking:You may to be on to something there.

2 Likes

I sat looking at some lovely fabrics and leathers I picked up over the years trips to the schmatta district…perhaps after the holidays I’ll make some items with them finally!!!

3 Likes

This throw is beautiful- very Victorian looking to me. And I’m sooooooooo into that!

2 Likes

I used more good stuff and made another velvet throw. This time some beautiful wine velvet with a piece of embroidered linen for the back.

Using the good stuff is such a pleasure. I’m having a moment of quiet joy right now. My hand sewing needles are stored in this beautiful vintage tin, given to me by a friend. I’ve waxed the thread with this delicious smelling block of beeswax from @jemimah in the 12 days of Christmas swap. And working with this linen and velvet, with this silky trim is just a sensory delight. And I bought some good sewing needles.

Use the good stuff xx

16 Likes

That is absolutely gorgeous!! It’s so fabulous when you’re in that zone where you’re immersed in the pleasure of making/creating/crafting - yay for using the good stuff :heart:

5 Likes

I love everything about this whole post.

4 Likes

Ok I am working my way up to using the good stuff!
This fabulous tapestry, embroidered material has been in my stash we will just say 10+ years! I recall every bit of the day I found it in the back of a large fabric house in Phillies garment district. All I saw was a sea of material and wayyy yin the back these kind of eyes peeking out and then I rescued it and it was love. However, very impractical for me at the time and very expensive. But alas these little owls came home with me and have sat on a shelf or in a bin ever since
Well they are going to be throw pillows now. I purchased some nice braided edging that pulls out some of the colors BUT now I just sit and look at it, kind of pet it, think about where I’ll cut it, haven’t pulled the trigger yet lol But I will!

18 Likes

oooh that is so pretty.

You have to use it, because all those little owls need to fulfil their destiny to get made into something gorgeous.

3 Likes

That fabric would be fun in a bolster pillow, too. Enjoy the Good Stuff Process!

2 Likes

I used ALL the blue beads, plus some other nice ones that went with the look, for a set of hanging strands: Beaded curtain/suncatcher/windchime in glorious blues

14 Likes

Ooohhh so pretty

1 Like

I have a shirt made from this awesome Liberty of London fabric that never really fit me and i want to do something with it but can’t decide what…

2 Likes

Could it be modified into a different shirt that fits better, with the addition of some complimentary fabric? Or is it a matter of not fitting your personality, rather than your physicality?

1 Like

Definitely a physicality issue. I bought it thrifted and it’s never buttoned so wore it without button and a tank underneath but my workouts have made the arms not fit any more too. Don’t think a refashion is going to work this time around.

2 Likes