Use the good stuff craftalong

Using a selection of teal fabrics I really like.

12 Likes

Beautiful…love the blues and greens and that zipper picks up the perfect shade of purple in the one fabric…yum!

The sea water temperature today is 53F (close to 11C)

It looks beautiful, but cold!!!

9 Likes

It’s in the 100s (38+ C) here, with 10% humidity. We’re planning an escape to cool, humid Oregon.
AND I’m using the good stuff to make luggage! So many pretty fabrics, it will be a joy to pack.

Plus, I’m whittling down my stash in preparation of probably moving to Oregon, so double score.

I have this one piece of fabric, though… I bought it in Hawaii to cover my couch, but wound up getting a new couch instead. It’s 6 yards of bark cloth in a banana leaf print. Really pretty, not very desert-y. Should I bring it along to a THIRD state, or sell it on eBay? It’s probably worth $150-$300, that would buy lots of fabric I’d enjoy using.

2 Likes

If it no longer excites you to plan for and use it then it really isnt on your “the good stuff” list anymore and that’s ok. One might choose to sell this and hold the money earned aside to buy Good Stuff specific to your next abode’s style to make something special there.

8 Likes

I will try very, very hard not to be horribly envious of that fabric.

3 Likes

Lapis & brass for me

Bracelet for coworker

BC jade earrings for a friend, I picked the stones & findings up for her when I was visiting my sister in the mountains. After making them I remembered that friend has big ear holes, oops. So those will be a gift for someone else I guess.

12 Likes

Ooh very pretty.

Everybody got in on this today, lol. Kids, man, one kid’s gf.
20220522_183044
Hardly dented the stash but it was fun anyhow.

11 Likes

Pretty! What are the red stones?
I would guess something like dyed agate, but maybe they’re rubies!

1 Like

Those are carnelian, they’re pretty dark orange.
The grey ones are labradorite, they have lovely green & blue inclusions. I adore that stone, reminds me of my sweetie’s eyes, grey-green-blue. Ocean eyes, I call them.

3 Likes

oh. They look vivid magenta on my tablet. It has color issues.

Oh, the one for my coworker is hot pink, that’s for sure dyed agate or some other stone.

1 Like

So pretty! I love the labradorite one. It’s one of my favorite gemstones, too. I actually just bought some to make myself a bracelet, as well. Must be something in the air. :joy:

2 Likes

Ah, okay.

I’m a Girl scout leader. I recently told the other leaders about the giant pile of yarn and other supplies I picked up at a uard sale and asked them to start thinking about yarn project for the upcoming year. I also mentioned that my daughter and her bestie biked down to this yard sale three times, shopped, and then spent the rest of the week crafting. One of the leaders said she appreciates how I always let the girls use the good stuff. I told her that is all thanks to a crafty friend I know. Thank you, @Edel for changing my perspective. :heart:

10 Likes

Awwww that’s so nice.

And I’m so jealous of your crafty yard sale finds. Looking forward to seeing what you make :grin:

5 Likes

I feel like I finally have something that feels like my “good stuff”! How are these cotton prints “the good stuff”? Well, when JoAnn put all their Tim Holtz prints on clearance about 4 years ago, I bought a couple yards of each. Before I could get them pre-washed and put into the actual, physical stash we left on a two week trip. We arrived back home to evacuation alerts and firefighters getting ready to set up “camp” in our yard, etc. It was all pretty overwhelming in terms of what to try to pack up to take with us that we really just packed up 90% of Delia’s things and less than 1% of ours. But these prints were on the top of the pile along with the pattern and fabric for a shirt I planned to make for TheMisterT for Christmas, so they were thrown into a bin with the coffee maker and enough clothes for us to get through summer and into fall should we have to start completely over. [shrug]

SealingWax-Pouch01

16 Likes

Love this project!

1 Like

I have a stack of “good” fabric that I intend to throw into the cat carriers as “blankets” should we have to evacuate due to hurricanes…that is the stack I should be using NOW…lol…

Your project is wonderful and reminder to indeed, use the good stuff!

4 Likes