Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

Thanks! I will do - I was thinking I might even do a tutorial for them. They are small and fun and relatively easy.

8 Likes

Oh yes, do! That would be awesome.

3 Likes

What gorgeous bookmarks! And, a great use for the little scraps- I love the one that says “Happy Place.”

I’ve decided that I’m going to use some of my vintage/antique mason jars (since I can’t use them for actual canning) as storage when I start sorting my scraps by color. I have a shelf (it used to hold liquor bottles at the bar in a restaurant I used to work at) that I’d like to use to display them on

7 Likes

I have resisted commenting on the bookies so as not to jinx anything that might be winging its way to me in the post but I just can’t stand it any longer. @jemimah I love them so many giant bunches of LOVE!

4 Likes

Haha - there’s a thing on its way that I think you will like - but it is not pictured here!!

3 Likes

I am conflicted about posting this project, since I don’t necessarily think the technique is great (it caused me a lot of hand strain), but in the end, it did probably get close to a pound of scraps (fabric and yarn) out of my stash, so it does do that very well. If someone is smarter than me about how they did it, it could probably be okay. :slight_smile:

Heart Latch Hook Rug

20 Likes

It is beautiful!!! Wow…I would spend hours just looking at the little scraps of fabric…not sure I would have had the patience you did…but seriously, the design, the colors…it is really a nice project!

4 Likes

Wow…that’s some serious destashing and lots of hard work. It turned out great!

4 Likes

Looove the rug! I wouldn’t be able to actually step on it, it’s too gorgeous!

5 Likes

This year I plan on sewing up an ottoman cover for my living room. I am going to patchwork a heart on it and do the rest in a natural linen color. I already cut out the squares for the heart out of my scraps. Now I have to set aside time to actually start sewing to together. Here is a sneak peek shot of me arranging the scraps into the heart so I liked where the colors fell. As always, Yeti Pegleg is assisting.

17 Likes

I am loving these ambitious projects using scraps! I like how you fussy cut a lot of the pieces…ha ha I see the mummy and I think Captain America…

3 Likes

Capt. America, Iron Man & Hulk made the cut. Also, Frankenstein and Dracula but you can’t see them in this pic. Oh! And Pinky & the Brain!

4 Likes

That is going to be beautiful! and cool! I love brights with natural linen! Also, your glamorous assistant is the best kind of help :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Another super colourful, beautiful heart creation! Ooh, I am getting ideas… it is nearly February after all… :heart:

2 Likes

I made a ton of pattern weights, that I find very useful. My neighbor liked mine so much she threatened to steel them. I used old lentils for filler.

The 2nd picture is my basket of scraps. I need to purge and organize it.

14 Likes

Pattern weights are always a nice thing and people want them once they see them!

Keep on using up those scraps!

3 Likes

@jemimah those bookmarks look fabulous all together.

@gozer that will be amazing when done. I love the fabrics

3 Likes

I’ve found a great scrap project! I have loads of really small scraps and I just remembered I have the Farmer’s Wife 1930s quilt book. The blocks in that book are really detailed and small (finished size 6x6 inch). I’ve tried machine sewing some but I’m not precise enough to pull that off and the book ended up on the shelf. I’m going to try handsewing them some of them. I will decide later what I’ll do with the blocks, but I already have some ideas (sampler book, potholders)

5 Likes

Wow, that sounds like a really amazing (and kind of time consuming) project. I didn’t realize patchwork blocks of the past were so much smaller than what we generally make now - but that does make sense given that they’re using scraps rather than yardage.

Here’s my latest scrappy creation - I only have a palm sized piece of the fabric left, so I’m counting that as a win!

14 Likes

Some of those blocks have 20 or more pieces! :open_mouth: I think you are right that that’s because they were usually made from scraps. The average woman in the 19th century would probably think we’re insane for buying yards of good expensive fabric just to cut them up again!

7 Likes