Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

Those are cute-- you can also do similar things with wrapping beads or half-domes to get different button shapes, and I was just looking at a library book about tiny hand embroidery…

So do a bunch & make a bracelet! :grin:

3 Likes

@Lynx, the Dollar Tree store near me does have the metal wreath frames there.

2 Likes

The inchies and pendant are so pretty! I love the unique colour and texture in each one.

Now that most of them have arrived, I can share some of the scrappy bookmarks I made for the Little Good Things swap.

Mostly they are scraps from my stash, but there are also a few precious pieces of hand printed fabric I got from alteredmommy in the monoprint fabric swap.

I had a lot of fun making these! it was good to make a big batch of scrappy little things - I could play around with different shapes and ideas, and try out different things without feeling I had to get it “right”.

22 Likes

They were all individually beautiful…but seeing them in a group…wow…

Are they sewn onto card stock? I have a lot of small pieces of batik that I would like to spend a whole day making these to drop for RAK…

5 Likes

No, just a piece of fabric on the back. I cut the back a little bigger for ease of sewing, as I didn’t use any interfacing, then trimmed after stitching around. Then used some of the trimmings for some of the “ribbons” at the top.

I figured for bookmarks they didn’t need to be super durable, but the 2 or 3 lines of overlapping stitching seems to make them pretty strong. They’ll fray a bit, but that’s part of the effect and they shouldn’t fall apart easily.

5 Likes

I like the fraying as well…

3 Likes

Did you do a separate post for these? I’m sure others would love to see them and learn how you did them, they are beautiful.

4 Likes

Love those book marks!

Make Art Not War!

Ran with Scissors to the End!

Oh man, can’t pick a fave.

4 Likes

Thanks! I will do - I was thinking I might even do a tutorial for them. They are small and fun and relatively easy.

8 Likes

Oh yes, do! That would be awesome.

3 Likes

What gorgeous bookmarks! And, a great use for the little scraps- I love the one that says “Happy Place.”

I’ve decided that I’m going to use some of my vintage/antique mason jars (since I can’t use them for actual canning) as storage when I start sorting my scraps by color. I have a shelf (it used to hold liquor bottles at the bar in a restaurant I used to work at) that I’d like to use to display them on

7 Likes

I have resisted commenting on the bookies so as not to jinx anything that might be winging its way to me in the post but I just can’t stand it any longer. @jemimah I love them so many giant bunches of LOVE!

4 Likes

Haha - there’s a thing on its way that I think you will like - but it is not pictured here!!

3 Likes

I am conflicted about posting this project, since I don’t necessarily think the technique is great (it caused me a lot of hand strain), but in the end, it did probably get close to a pound of scraps (fabric and yarn) out of my stash, so it does do that very well. If someone is smarter than me about how they did it, it could probably be okay. :slight_smile:

Heart Latch Hook Rug

20 Likes

It is beautiful!!! Wow…I would spend hours just looking at the little scraps of fabric…not sure I would have had the patience you did…but seriously, the design, the colors…it is really a nice project!

4 Likes

Wow…that’s some serious destashing and lots of hard work. It turned out great!

4 Likes

Looove the rug! I wouldn’t be able to actually step on it, it’s too gorgeous!

5 Likes

This year I plan on sewing up an ottoman cover for my living room. I am going to patchwork a heart on it and do the rest in a natural linen color. I already cut out the squares for the heart out of my scraps. Now I have to set aside time to actually start sewing to together. Here is a sneak peek shot of me arranging the scraps into the heart so I liked where the colors fell. As always, Yeti Pegleg is assisting.

17 Likes

I am loving these ambitious projects using scraps! I like how you fussy cut a lot of the pieces…ha ha I see the mummy and I think Captain America…

3 Likes

Capt. America, Iron Man & Hulk made the cut. Also, Frankenstein and Dracula but you can’t see them in this pic. Oh! And Pinky & the Brain!

4 Likes