Vintage Sewing Machine Watercolor

I’ve had this sewing machine watercolor kit for awhile and have been wanting to do it, but have never gotten around to it. However, art is the last category I need to complete in order to receive the chameleon badge and a chat with @ArtsyLadyCrafter gave me the push I needed to get started on creating some art. I actually went from zero art posts to 2 in a single week! Could art be my secret hidden talent!? Uh, no, as you will see below, it most definitely is not :laughing: (I’m not saying it’s horrible, but I am acknowledging that I did not discover a hidden artistic genius within myself, lol).

My watercolor kit was from Let’s Make Art and included everything I needed right down to the design and some graphite paper to copy it. I followed along with a video tutorial. When it came time to do the flourishes/designs, I was a little hesitant because it was something I’d have to freehand and with the metallic ink I was using, there’d be no going back if I made a mistake or wasn’t happy with the outcome. Well, that is exactly what happened :woman_facepalming:t3:. I thought that some dots would look nice and before I knew it, it looked like a wannabe henna tattoo artist had gotten a hold of my painting and gone dot crazy. I didn’t like the look of it and at that point, even though I knew the watercolor would not cover the dots, I figured it wouldn’t hurt anything to give it a try. As expected, once the watercolor dried, the dots showed back up - a bit smeared, but still very noticeable.

I decided to try again. I used my own watercolor paper this time around and definitely noticed the difference in quality. I could not do any blending like I was able to before and the paint/water bled, but that’s okay - lesson learned! I did enjoy this excursion into a new medium and am already planning on picking up some good quality paper and some magenta, cyan, and yellow paint to try out a few more designs!

Final product:

Initial attempt:

While looking around on the Let’s Make Art website, I discovered that they offer their designs as printable outlines and they have video tutorials to go along with them. As a beginner I definitely appreciate it and am looking forward to using those resources!

25 Likes

I really like them. Thanks for the info about Let’s Make Art - I’d love to give watercolours try.

2 Likes

Super inspiring! You should feel like a new person now!

I beg to differ. These are really beautiful!!! They do not look like watercolors from a kit, at all. Good shading!

:smile: I like them both. They each have their unique beauty. I think you should finish the first one. It deserves a place of honor as well. The dots are very nice.

I’m so proud of you! Thanks for sharing your lovely watercolors! I can’t stop looking at them! :bouquet:

4 Likes

I like them both! Excellent for beginning forays imto watercolor!

2 Likes

Nice job, an old sewing machine is a difficult subject with all the curves and wheels. Amazing!

3 Likes

Really pretty!

2 Likes

These are great, both of them. I’ll echo others, you need to finish the first one, nothing wrong with those dots.

3 Likes

I love it! I would totally hang that in my craft room (one day when I have a craft room :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

You are all way too kind! Thank you guys so much!

2 Likes

How fabulous that you have decided to dip your toes into a different medium! I like them both and am a firm believer that there are no “mistakes”…

5 Likes

I tried to tell myself that and decided that I’d convince myself by accepting that it wasn’t a mistake, simply a chance to start over :smile:.

5 Likes

While visiting my sister, she taught me how to decorate cookies and I taught her some simple water color flowers from “blobs”…she kept saying that she made mistakes, etc. I showed her how to turn them into more flowers, leaves, etc. You just need to keep doing it and then you will have the confidence to accept that watercolor has a mind of its own sometimes, so you have to go with the flow, so to speak…lessons learned will take you to new heights of creativity…I am so glad you are doing this!

4 Likes

I also love both versions, each with a slightly different personality. Congrats on a successful first foray into the Art category here at LC!

3 Likes

I love this! It’s cool that you got to try it on two different kinds of paper to see the difference that made, even if it meant having to redo it. Practice makes more perfect. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like your choice of the kelly green thread, it really pops against the gold and black sewing machine.

2 Likes

Simply lovely! They really turned out great.

2 Likes

Well. As I scrolled down as I was reading my expectations for the picture were dashed. I’m not seeing any of the flaws that you are claiming in your story! Based on this and your interest in trying more with better materials, that you’re going to be adding some very cool content to this category in the future! Admittedly, I’m a softie for sewing machine imagery, but I would hang either of these in my house.

3 Likes

They are both beautiful!

2 Likes

You all are making me feel like a watercolor rockstar :smiling_face:. I really appreciate all of your kind words!

I love this idea! Thank you so much for your encouragement.

I agree! It’s one thing knowing and understanding a concept, it’s a whole other thing seeing that concept in action.

Thank you, that thread color was a lesson in color mixing :blush:.

I’m glad I could dash them in such an artistic fashion :joy:.

I must repeat myself, you are all way too kind. Thank you :blush:.

5 Likes

Oooh. I like both of these. I had no idea that something like this existed. Yours looks beautiful. It’s such a great way to learn a new technique. And flourishes are so intimidating. You mastered it like a pro!

*side note, I was so impressed with yours that I bought my Mom and sister a kit for Christmas. I am waiting for the one I want to come back in stock so we can all do it together!

1 Like