We're Stumped! Thanksgiving Place Card Favor Boxes - Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge Entry

We’re hosting some out-of-town family for Thanksgiving this year which gave me the opportunity to use this log box svg file. I did a prototype awhile back and made some adjustments for the final project.

2023TdayPlaceCardLogBoxes01=2

The modifications include a different embossing folder to make the bark and “carving” names into the log. The bark layer is not part of the original svg file, it’s just a strip cut to size with a guillotine and embossed with a Sizzix Big Shot using an Altenew folder (Masonry Wall). The letters are from a Tim Holtz die set (Wood Slice) meant to look like they are carved into wood. Each one has a different woodsy embellishment made using two more Tim Holtz die sets (Funky Foliage and Funky Nature).

TheMisterT’s is a bit of a prank, as he is wont to “vandalize” things with drawings of “gentleman’s vegetables”. :flushed: It is not actually graphic at all, but it’s funnier if I blur it out! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

For filling, so far eash has a fake mustache and an “ice breaker” card with questions like " If you were a super hero, what would your super power be?" and such. I will add some kind of sweet and maybe something else that strikes my fancy in the next month.

2023TdayPlaceCardLogBoxes01

I was able to use my pouch of tiny cardstock scraps to make all the embellishments - so even though the pouch is the same size as when I started, I consider some stash has been busted… or at least justified. :rofl:

ADDENDUM: As I was finishing these up, I regretted not including Delia. She won’t be eating at the table with us, of course, and would not be interested in answering silly questions or wearing a fake mustache, but she is a member of our family and LOVES packages. I found my prototype and when I opened it, I noticed that I had already cut a new style bark layer with her name “carved” into it! So, I assembled it and stored it away with the others. I’ll find something special to put into it, probably edible.

16 Likes

That is a LOT of people for the feast! What a fun way to break the ice and to show each one they are special. I love the spiral tree rings and the carved letters.

All of the embellishments are great, but the one for the Mister is hilarious!!!

2 Likes

Thank you! I think the question cards will be nice multi-generation topics and utterly not-hot-topics. No one is the stereotypical “problematic relative” or anything, but still. Wait… unless it’s me? :grimacing: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We’ll go buffet style to fit everyone around our table. Luckily, everyone is able and totally willing to use air mattress-style beds! 3 of the 5 will be on those. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

These are brilliant!!!

1 Like

These are so awesome! Your Mister is a hoot.

1 Like

Thanks, y’all!

That’s one word for it! :roll_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

So cute! And yes, sounds like you’ll have a houseful and lots of fun.

1 Like

ADDENDUM (added to the OP, too): As I was finishing these up, I regretted not including Delia. She won’t be eating at the table with us, of course, and would not be interested in answering silly questions or wearing a fake mustache, but she is a member of our family and LOVES packages. I found my prototype and when I opened it, I noticed that I had already cut a new style bark layer with her name “carved” into it! So, I assembled it and stored it away with the others. I’ll find something special to put into it, probably edible.

5 Likes

These are so fun! I love that carved look!!

Thank you! I’m excited to see the place settings with these!

1 Like

How awesome! Your get togethers have got to be the best! You seem to always have all the thoughtful touches that help to make an occasion special! These are fantastic! They will be a wonderful addition to your holiday table!

And I have never before heard the phrase “gentleman’s vegetables” but it’s hilariously perfect! I’m stealing it and will be looking for opportunities to insert it into every possible conversation. (Okay that came with a lot of unintended innuendo. Sorry. Sort of. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Awww, you’re sweet! Maybe these little touches help make up for my awkward lack of small talk skills? :grimacing: :rofl:

1 Like

Ha! That’s funny!

These are so clever and thoughtful! I love all the different embellishments.