What are you knitting?

That’s my style, too. I had to stop the surprise yarn of the month club mainly because it was just a stash builder. The provided pattern suggestions rarely spoke to me and I have a hard time settling on a pattern when I choose the yarns I get never mind ones that fly into my home on their own. Lol

3 Likes

Some folks are really good at making the yarn they have work cough @sheepBlue cough. Goals!

I also have some DGY balls that have been gifted to me that I will someday figure out what to do with. :laughing:

4 Likes

Have you guys tried the Ravelry feature that lets you find the weight, amount and type of yarn you have and then patterns come up? I have used that several times to find things to make with gifted or randomly purchased yarns.

@antbee I used that yarn to make crochet hearts using @madebyBeaG 's pattern. I throw them in a basket and then use them for extras in swaps or to give to people who might need a little love. If you are interested, I’ll see if I can find the pattern. They are quick and fun to do!

6 Likes

i’m not generally a fan of pink, but i love that one…it looks super fun and cheerful. i also am not very good at figuring out what to do with random yarn of the month clubs (i also kept stopping my subscriptions for the same reason…lolz), which is usually why i just knit kitchen stuff or blankets when i’m in between projects…but when i’m looking for a specific idea for a specific yarn, i usually hit up ravelry to see what others have done with that yarn to see if it inspires me.

failing that i usually make a one skein shawl/cowl type of thing…

4 Likes

Sheep told me about that, too. I haven’t tried it yet!

1 Like

oh no—I shouldn’t have looked! Now I might need MORE yarn to make some of those! ha ha

3 Likes

I also heedlessly choose patterns where I know im working with the “wrong” weight of yarn but have an idea of how to compensate (get more or less yardage etc). I’m quite reckless and it doesn’t always work out lol :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Haha…I would say “adventurous” or “brave”! :grin:

4 Likes

Haha that is very generous of you.

4 Likes

I have searched that way on Rav, my hurdle is that I have a hard time just working something up that doesnt have a defined recipient/end game. I start second guessing myself with thoughts of what if I finish this yarn project for no one and then suddenly I think of the perfect project for someone that would use this yarn and now I have “wasted” it…

It’s not logical, but there it is.

3 Likes

Hmm… How about pair it with a darker neutral yarn and knit something in brioche?

I was reading through an edition of The Knitter, and I really liked this pattern:

It uses one multicoloured yarn and one solid, and the construction looks really fun.

5 Likes

That’s a handsome hat! @sheepBlue you also might like this one.

2 Likes

I used to hold off on projects when I didn’t have any recipients in mind, but now I store them in my “future gift stash” which may end up going to someone I know, or in a swap package, or end up being donated to a charity if I hold onto it long enough. I feel less tied to who it’s going to in some cases rather than just enjoying the project and the process, especially with yarn I want to destash.

That hat looks gorgeous! I keep eyeing brioche projects but haven’t yet worked up the energy to teach myself the technique yet. I watched a snippet of one youtube video and that was enough to tell me now is not the time lol.

6 Likes

I’m working on a cable cowl to match a hat I finished recently. Trying to work through nice yarns that I bought a while ago when I was not quite as advanced a knitter. I have a problem being precious with things and needing to find the perfect pattern, out needing to get better at something first. I have had this yarn since like 2018. Tess Designer yarns, so it was a very fancy splurge for me at the time I bought it. LOL.

The set is the Jennika Hat and Jennika cowl. (Ravelry pattern page links)

The hat still needs to be blocked. And maybe a black faux fur pompom. The cowl has a ways to go still.

9 Likes

Ooooo! Gorgeous! I agree a black pom pom would look great on that hat.

2 Likes

Your cables look fantastic! Such a pretty set!

2 Likes

Lovely!! Your cables look beautiful and neat!

2 Likes

Started the lace today. I am somehow off a stitch, but I’d literally have to start over from the beginning to fix it so…forging ahead and hoping for the best!

11 Likes

Heck no, I’d add or combine the stitch to get the right count at the point you’re at right now. Looks great!

6 Likes

Agreed. Fudge it!

5 Likes