What are your go to weeknight dinner recipes?

I highly recommend it. I usually make the Carnivore’s work lunch a dish of whatever was dinner the night before and the day after I made this he called on the way home from work asking what was for dinner and when I started to say I had some ideas but hadn’t started anything yet he actually asked to have it again- so dinner, lunch the next day, dinner that same day- which is crazypants. Now, granted, we love mushrooms so that helped.
If you have some nice rolls to go along-side it they dip nicely and add a little something tactile to dinner time.

3 Likes

I feel like pasta and stir fries are pretty standard go-tos for a lot of people during the week haha, probably cuz they go so quick.

If you’re into Thai food at all, you should pick up some Thai curry paste. You can get a big container for only a few bucks at most Asian grocers.
They go really fast since all you do is boil coconut milk with the paste, then throw in some chopped veggies and chicken or whatever you want in, and like 20 min later it’s finished :ok_hand: (most call for fish sauce to get added at the end but you could probably skip it if you don’t want it)

7 Likes

I love Thai food…I am not a big pasta eater, but I always have rice and veggies around…I just need to write some things down because I tend to forget all the simple ideas…I started posting them on my fridge and then throwing out any recipes I printed that did not work for me…I think a lot of problems are with boredom or just not having the right ingredients…if one is not a cook, like me, I can’t just make stuff up…and WELCOME!!!

3 Likes

Thai food is the BEST! I love that it can be creamy without dairy, coconut milk for the win!

2 Likes

We are making homemade pizza for dinner tonight since we ate Thai on Tuesday and had leftovers yesterday. We buy flatbread and other crusts, including cauliflower crusts and keep them in the freezer. Depending on what we have on hand, we pick a crust, add cheese, sometimes pizza sauce, and then toppings. Tonight, it is clam and mushroom white pizza on focaccia crust. I’ll make a small salad and call it done!

4 Likes

That sounds really fancy. We are having pepperoni rolls we ordered from a band booster fundraiser.

2 Likes

Pizza night is great for us, too, since my child can have “pizza” with whatever weird toppings she wants and no cheese, and she’ll actually eat it. I make a batch of bread dough (no kneed or in the breadmaker) & divide it up so everyone gets their own flatbread to dress.

Tonight is going to be Trader Joe’s butternut squash ravioli, tho, since it also contains no cheese & everyone seems to think it’s food. Probably adding some multi-colored carrots &… pecans I guess since I’m in the middle of defrosting the freezer & not going to dig through everything in the cooler to get to the meatballs at the bottom. Oops.

2 Likes

I really can’t eat tomato sauce much because it upsets my stomach. lol my husband just brought my plate in and decided to switch it to Italian sausage and black olives!

2 Likes

Haha…true story!

I made this one last night, thought I’d share:

5 Likes

With social distancing and grocery panic, we are planning meals around what we have, which, seriously, in third world countries is probably enough to feed a family for quite a few months! So no complaining in my house is the rule…

For lunch today, I made canned tuna fish salad…but I added dried cranberries and almonds (from one of those breakfast snack packs that I buy in bulk from Costco)…a bit of yellow mustard, celery, onion powder, and dill pickle relish. One can makes enough for me and my husband with a bit left over for snacking later in the afternoon with crackers or celery sticks.

Let’s share our hunkering down ideas!

3 Likes

We have been getting home from work and working an additional 2 or so hours prepping food for the freezer and dehydrator. Eating a lot of curry, beans and rice, planning soups, sauces, stews to add some interest to what might become a very boring menu. We have lots of garam masala, at least things will be well spiced.

2 Likes

This week, the menu is…

Jalepeno popper turkey chili - I got one lunch out of the leftovers then it was gone!

Potato soup - making this tonight

Stuffed shells - I use my grandma’s recipe, but it’s pretty much what you’d expect

And I’ll probably make pizza and salad

Don’t know if that’s “hunker down” oriented, but we have tons of pasta, frozen meat, tortillas, canned soup, and frozen pierogies…we won’t starve. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

mmm I printed out the chili!

I like making potato soup as well…I actually use instant mash potatoes to thicken it so it is really potato-y! mmmm

Seem like fresh produce and eggs are in good supply here…no chicken or beef anywhere to be found, so I will use what we have in the freezer until they can normalize distribution…

Cobb Salad is on our list for one meal…

3 Likes

I haven’t been that hungry lately, but last week I made a large batch of curry - I have lots of curry paste and coconut milk and you can just add about any type of fresh produce. I have rice and pasta and tinned tomatoes and canned and dried vegetables/beans, and ingredients to make bread, pancakes etc but I’m trying to finish the fresh food first (I didn’t panic buy this week, I just always like to have a well-stocked pantry).

I bought a large carton of eggs last week to make sure I had enough for a while. Today I made some egg mayonaise for myself, tomorrow I’m baking eggs with tomatoes and spinach for lunch. We also have some yoghurt from Mr Imma’s work for breakfast, they don’t serve breakfast anymore. We may have cornbread and chili sin carne for dinner.

3 Likes

We just made an entirely pantry/freezer dinner - so glad I spent so much time last summer preserving veggies! If you have the Moosewood cookbook, the minestrone soup recipe is incredibly delicious!

3 Likes

I did have the Moosewood, both of them, but in a fit of madness I donated them. I still have Joy of Cooking though, it really does have everything. The cholesterol free biscuits are a go-to, they take only a few minutes to make & can be added to with sweet or savory ingredients.

1 Like

We are trying to cook more things that we can “repurpose” into other dishes rather than having leftovers of the same thing. The other day, Jim made a pork roast in the crock pot. We had it with mashed potatoes, mixed veggies and homemade gravy.

I used some of the leftover pork to make a simple fried rice. Added scrambled eggs, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, frozen peas, onion and garlic powder, pepper, soy sauce, onions…

But, as you can see, cooking for two can be challenging…now what to do with the leftovers…I might just throw it all into a pot and make some sort of veggie/rice soup…

9 Likes

Looks tasty! We always just make a big batch of fried rice and freeze half of it, I’ve never heard of making soup from it. I’m curious to know how that works out.

2 Likes

lol I have no idea why I didn’t think about freezing it!

Yeah, about once a week, we go through the fridge and throw whatever into a pot and make soup…my husband is good at turning just about anything into a soup depending on the ingredients. This might end up being some sort of curry soup…

3 Likes

Oh I wish you could send me the leftovers!

We do a “leftover soup” once in a while, too! When there are enough and the leftovers lend themselves well to that repurpose. Leads to some interesting flavor combos for sure.

I made salsa chicken tacos with leftover chicken and salsa from other meals last week. I like trying to creatively use our leftovers.

This week we’re doing a pulled pork and a chili…not very exciting, lol.

2 Likes