What are your go to weeknight dinner recipes?

I’m trying to think of what we’ve made in the past few days…I’ve definitely done some repeats…pizza and halal chicken. Mr. Road did a lot of the cooking last week.

Mr. Road made spaghetti and meatballs and I did meatball sliders with the leftovers.

I did do a cheater version of Chicken Riggies, where you just combine a jar of marinara with a jar of alfredo. It’s totally cheating and no where near as good as the real thing, but it works for weeknight dinners, especially with leftover shredded chicken from the crockpot.

I have totally been craving Chinese Food, so last night I did a sweet and sour chicken.

We also had pierogies, which I do not make from scratch, but I did try my hand at some stovetop mac and cheese as a side. One of our favorite pizza/beer joints makes an amazing mac and cheese pizza, so that’s what I’m doing with the leftovers! Yum.

1 Like

Mac and cheese pizza? Oh my. I can feel my butt expanding just thinking about eating that delicious sounding thing!

What are we having? A lot of sandwiches and soup made out of leftovers. We did finally get outside and bbq this week, that was nice. Nothing interesting though, I am very bored but not quite bored enough to do anything creative about it, haha.

LOL! Yea, current eating patterns have not been great for the waistline. :laughing:

Oh! Speaking of bbqing, we did do hotdogs and pasta salad this past week. It was like a little splash of summer.

1 Like

I made Cheeseburger gnocci again…using evaporated milk since we didn’t have cream…still tasty…

We can’t find chicken all the time, but this week, we did find chicken thighs so Jim is making a dish my mom used to make…chicken thights, carrots, sesame oil, soy sauce…I found jasmine rice so it will have to do instead of Japanese rice…

We are now cooking with what we can find or have on hand…

Reality is, pork products are probably going to be hard to get with the processing plants closing due to corona…I know we have some bacon left to make BLT sandwiches this week…

Half of the menu items at Panera are unavailable…they don’t have ham, avocado and some cheeses…I try to get a salad once a week…both of us are gaining weight from eating too much comfort food!!

When I was working in the office, dinner was often just a cup of soup and a salad…being at home is not good for the waistline!

3 Likes

Funny, for me it’s the other way round! When I was working in the office and commuting I was tired and stress all the time and relied on sugary snacks to get me through the day. Our coffee was so terrible I added a lot of sugar. I brought my thermos to work but when that was finushed I was stuck with the office coffee.

Now I don’t set an alarm, drink nice coffee for breakfast and then in the late morning I make a hot lunch, fresh soup or an omelette. And dinner is always healthy and from scratch.

We had mie goreng tonight which is always a favourite of ours and very versatile. Earlier this week I made this recipe with pearl barley and kale which I really enjoyed: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/a568676/barley-walnut-goats-cheese-risotto/

The ingredients may sound exotic but pearl barley and kale (I used frozen instead of fresh) are staples of the traditional Dutch cuisine and I always have these in the cupboard/freezer. I loved the combination with the goat’s cheese and it was really easy to make but it’s probably not for everyone.

3 Likes

Made Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes this week. They were a hit!

Mr. Road also made his BBQ sauce and we had BBQ chicken with corn on the cob and watermelon! Soooo good!

Buffalo chicken lettuce wraps are on the menu tonight.

3 Likes

We are eating this today: Curried chickpeas with spinach We eat this quite often, one of our many favourite Budgetbytes recipes.

2 Likes

Everyone is making such tasty things.

I am trying this tonight. I don’t hate kale but I don’t seek it out but I’ve ended up with a bunch I need to eat up. I didn’t really want a dish that was mostly kale so this sounded pretty good.

3 Likes

Oh, that sounds delicious! You can’t go wrong with chickpeas.

2 Likes

I am going to try the chicken wraps…

I have signed up for a food delivery service…three meals a week…so far, we have loved everything…but, I can see how they do it…a lot of the meals are very similar in ingredients: rice, pasta, potatoes…just changing up the protein and the veggies…thought I would try it for a few months and then see if I can do the favorites myself…more things are available at the stores now…

2 Likes

I think you mentioned you weren’t a fan of cooking - I am but I just lack time and these days we’re dependent on whatever is in the store. We basically eat 4 dishes 80% of the time and we don’t get tired of them because we switch up the ingredients a little bit. One of the 4 is the chickpea curry, sometimes I put in a different leafy green (@geekgirl if you have more leftovers, kale works in this recipe too!) or use a different spice mix like garam masala instead of curry powder. Or serve it with naan bread instead of rice. And then there’s mie goreng, noodles + veggie + protein and the “something” - burger. That’s basically what we eat 300 days per year…

2 Likes

My husband is the cook in the family. I can follow instructions but I am not clever at knowing about what ingredients and spices to use, etc. He is the one who can do your type of cooking and he does it well. I am getting the kits because now that we are both home, we take turns on some of the chores so it doesn’t get boring…

We are also trying to support our local small eateries, so we get take out a few times a week, mostly ethnic foods…

2 Likes

I made this Tuesday night and had with chicken and I’ve eaten leftovers for brunch the past 2 days. The kale holds up well as leftovers. I would definitely make this again esp since the leftovers are so food. Today I soft boiled eggs to put on top and they came out perfectly!

7 Likes

Wow, that looks delicious!

We used to get takeout maybe twice a year (but eat out more often, as a date night, maybe once a month) but we are trying to do it more often now. We want to support the small restaurants that we love. Restaurants have reopened now but it looks like most people don’t feel comfortable eating on the premises yet, most restaurants are almost empty.

2 Likes

@geekgirl that dish looks amazing!

You guys are killing me with the kale. I love it, but if I put anything like that in front of my family there’d be a dinner time revolt, lol.

3 Likes

I put it in a curry once, cut it quite small pieces, and told my kale-hating friend it was spinach! She loved it.

(I’m not a bad friend, she doesn’t have allergies or something, but due to certain issues she only eats a limited selection of food. She wants to try different things but if she knows what she’s about to try she gags. So we agreed to this, I tell her the truth afterwards)

2 Likes

I stopped using a certain food delivery service because of kale…so far, the new service has had zero kale…ha ha ha

4 Likes

Thanks for all the great ideas. It’s nice to see what others are doing. Here’s some standards:

Pan of roast chicken thighs, sprinkled with garlic salt and paprika. I intersperse carrots, garlic, potatoes and onions, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until smells cooled and juices ruin clear. Then uncover and broil for 10 more till skin crisps. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. I fo mashed potatoes in ther instant pot, no peel, 6 minutes!
Alternative - stuff the thighs under the skin with instant boxed stuffing.

Take the other half of the family size chicken thigh pack and make:

Take out for the 5th day, to support local businesses, and to take a break.

I also marinate chicken in soy sauce, honey, garlic, green onions for barbecue. Sometimes I do whole chicken thighs deboned, sometimes bbq skewers. Hubby must grill, so this doesn’t happen often lol.

Thai chicken curry is also easy and yummy. I measure out the paste in tablespoons, put it in the freezer for easy use.

Another fav, chicken tinola. I use green cooking papaya but have also used chayote. For greens when i don’t have marungay leaves i use bok choy, or other asian greens. Some people use spinach.

Ok enough chicken lol.

3 Likes

oh those are awesome ideas!

2 Likes

Lol. Not possible! We have a 2-package limit right now (still) so I’ve had to diversify my dinner offerings. :laughing:

Everything you posted sounds delicious!

2 Likes