What are your go to weeknight dinner recipes?

Lol, well it’s a good thing the fam and I like chicken! In fact, for a long time the kiddos thought every meat-like thing that arrived at the table WAS chicken! Haha!!!

2 Likes

Thanks @AIMR, @Abbeeroad!

And here was yesterday’s “chicken” -Okinawan Shoyu Pork, with watercress.

And recipe online, for @Edel :blush:

4 Likes

ooh that looks amazing!

2 Likes

I use a meal plan service every other week so we get 4 recipes and most of the ingredients. You get a list of what you need to have in the pantry in advance. It’s added a few quick and delicious meals to our rotation.

Here’s our friday night dinner inspired by a meal plan dish:

:hamburger: Lime turkey burgers with roasted red point cabbage

Burger patties:
500 g minced turkey
Zest from 1,5 - 2 limes
3 cloves of garlic
A bit less than 1tsp salt

Zest the limes and save the fruit. Put the zest in a bowl, crush or grate the garlic and mix with mince and salt. Mix well and shape into 4 patties. Set aside and get the cabbage going.

Roasted red point cabbage
1 red point cabbage, or regular red cabbage
1 of the used limes, halved
Something barbeque-oil-ish

Quarter the cabbage and rub with barbeque oil of your choice. I mixed olive oil, japanese soy, fish sauce and chili flakes.

Either put them on the grill or in a oven safe baking dish. Put the lime halves in there too.

Cook until done with desired amount of burnt crispy bits.

Cheesy corn Spread
225-250g tinned (drained) or frozen corn
50 g flavourful cheese (grated)
Chili flakes or chopped chili
1 of the used limes (juice from)
Salt

Roast the corn in a dry pan together with the chili until slightly browned.
Mix with grated cheese and blend. Add limejuice and salt to taste.

Panfry the burger patties (or put them on the grill too)

Serve in toasted burger buns with corn spread and a bit of sriracha. Serve roasted cabbage on the side and squeeze juice from the cooked lime over the cabbage.

It would have been nice with some fresh cilantro on the burger too, but it was very tasty without.

We had two leftover patties for today too. Nom! The part that takes the longest to cook is the cabbage and that could be substituted with coleslaw or something like that for a quicker meal.

5 Likes

I made this today! It’s really good.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, please keep the recipes coming! I have been doing a lot but not taking pics or journaling /tracking about it.

This week’s go-to recipes are going to the pantry and freezer. There’s been no market for me since I can’t leave the house. The menu has been :

• Doctored up Top Ramen - Husby just adds a scrambled egg and cooks it into the soup. I change the water after the noodles get to be al dente, then I add whatever. This time, watercress, green onion, slice of fish cake and leftover chicken. Served with side of frozen gyoza.

Digging into the COVID and hurricane readiness supplies…

• can of soup, and tuna salad sandwich
  • SPAM musubi
  • spaghetti with jar meat sauce
  • hamburger helper

Digging in the freezer…
-frozen leftover bow tie pasta, add bottle of pasta sauce to juice up

• shrimp “scampi” ie frozen shrimp and Italian dressing
  • Banquet Family pack Salisbury Steak, with side of canned sweet corn and box mashed potato

Missing veggies. Grow garden grow!

Waiting on beans…

5 Likes

I have been experimenting with various ramen recipes, too…I have to cut my salt, so I don’t use the flavor pack…low sodium chicken broth after the noodles have cooked. I had peas, chicken, and drop in an egg for a quick meal.

Love that you mentioned fish cake…I have a ton in the freezer!

I made that wonderful Chicken tamale posted here…this is twice now that I made it and barely had one serving left for lunch! It is now part of my rotation.

Our meal delivery service has helped me at least think about how I can make meals with what I have on hand…so many of their dishes are pretty simple.

Keep the recipes coming…looks like our state might be going back to essential services only with the uptick in cases…I have loads in my pantry…

Might even use the umpteen cans of Spam my husband felt he needed to have…

4 Likes

I made red lentil burgers (adapted from a red lentil kofta recipe) the other day and aside from soaking the lentils for 2 hours they came together really fast and were really yummy! It was a nice alternative since we’re trying to have at least one vegetarian dinner a night after hearing about impending meat shortages.

3 Likes

Oooo…I want to try lentil burgers! I love making black bean burgers but Mr. Road is not a fan. He’s a bit more open to lentils as a meat alternative.

2 Likes

This is the recipe I used. Just instead of making 24 golf-ball sized ones I made 4 hamburger sized patties. I probably could have gotten 6 out of it, but the first two I made huge by accident but just went with it. :laughing:

9 Likes

Thanks! Will definitely try that one out.

1 Like

Crockpot Thai curry.
Into the slow cooker, put
Mae Ploy Thai curry paste–any flavor, red, yellow, green, massaman, they’re all good.
Cut up chicken or your choice of meat. Or no meat.
Diced onion
Canned coconut milk
choice of veggies;
put carrots, celery, or potatoes in the pot right away;
zucchini, broccoli, green beans late in cooking,
or stir in shredded cabbage a few minutes before serving.
Bamboo shoots and water chestnuts would be good, but I always forget them.

Cook on high until chicken is cooked and veggies tender. Serve over rice in a bowl, top with sliced green onions and cocktail peanuts.
Eat with a spoon; they don’t use chopsticks in Thailand.

I have a big crockpot; last time I used 8 cut up chicken thighs, about 1/3 cup curry paste, 2 cans coconut milk, plus veggies. It took about 3hours to cook, and made 6 generous servings. We’re having the last of it tonight. Mmmmmmmm.

5 Likes

If I haven’t anything thawed out…

Mushroom “burgers”. I buy fresh sliced 'shrooms and freeze them in sandwich bags. One bag makes a nice entree burger (meatier mushrooms like baby bellas don’t cook down as much as white mushrooms, making larger portions). Plop them frozen in the pan or thaw first.
Sautee mushrooms in butter or oil, with Italian seasoning (or your favourite)
Toast bread or buns, or brown them in a hot pan/griddle. With butter. Garlic butter. Mmm.
Top mushrooms with cheese, melt, plop onto buns, and serve with a salad or put lettuce, tomato, and avocado on the 'shrooms.

Chorizo and Eggs
I use Reynaldos soy chorizo, which tastes just like the pork version, moderately spicy. They also make beef and pork chorizo. One 11 ounce package makes four servings. if frozen, nuke it 30 seconds. remove the casing.
Sautee crumbled chorizo (in oil for soy).
Heat tortillas, 1 big or 2 small per person
Add 2 eggs per person to chorizo, stir until almost cooked. Top with cheese, melt, serve on tortillas with lettuce, tomato, and avocado.

Side note
How much do avocados cost where you live? Here in Tucson, small ones cost between 50 and 90 cents each. Yummmmmmm

5 Likes

Omg, I really want a mushroom burger now!!!

3 Likes

You post the best recipes @Abbeeroad
I made this last night. Really good.

3 Likes

That is one of our faves too!!

1 Like

One of our favourites too. We make the rice a lot. And it is worth making pita breads to go with them-even if they are a bit of a faff

2 Likes

Tiny potatoes & meatballs (cut in quarters), fried in olive oil, with green beans:

7 Likes

Oooh I’ve made that one too a few times. It’s so good.

2 Likes

I did a yummy tonight and I thought about this thread. It was quick, easy and tasty!

1. Cook japanese short grain rice

The rice is what takes the longest but it’s very worth it. For even quicker dinner: cook rice in advance and freeze. It’s nearly as good heated from frozen in the microwave oven. (Just one cookbook has instructions on freezing and heating rice too)

1. While the rice is soaking wash and cut pak choi into wedges lengthwise. We used two for two persons. Slice a small onion (I’d suggest a shallot onion or Roscoff onion) and slice a couple garlic cloves.

2. Thaw a good amount of Vannmei shrimp for the number of people eating. You decide, I’m not your boss. (hey, you could use fresh shrimp if that’s more to your taste)

3. Mix 0,5 dl water, 1,5 tablespoons japanese soy sauce and 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or lime juice, sprinkle some chili flakes into the mixture and set aside.

4. When the rice is simmering you can start to cook the veggies. Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Give them a bit of a head start and then add the pak choi. Fry until the pak choi is starting to get golden brown on the cut edges.

5. Add the water-soy mixture and simmer for a minute or two to allow the veggies to soak up the flavour. Put the veggies and liquid on a serving platter and save the pan for later. Don’t worry if there’s some onion bits and soy left in it.

6. When the rice is steaming (Do Not skimp on the ”steam 10 minutes” part!) you can get the shrimp started. Sprinkle salt on the shrimp and heat the used frying pan with some more oil and butter. Add shrimp and leave them alone until they’re getting pink around the edges and release easily from the pan, then flip. You want a light golden brown on each side and it shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes per side at most. Don’t overcook.

7. Place shrimp on the plate of veggies, serve over rice.

I also made a quick dipping sauce (yoghurt, mayo and a splash of soy sauce) but the dish didn’t really need it…

5 Likes