What are your go to weeknight dinner recipes?

Looks yummy

1 Like

I have always had a rice cookerā€¦three in factā€¦it just takes the guesswork out and I can do it while I cook other things. I am rarely eating rice these days as I am following a keto plan. I have lost nearly 15 poundsā€¦still eating, just not a lot of carbs. I did make an interesting tofu riceā€¦next time I make it I will post.

I think I have the exact same bowlsā€¦looks delicious!

2 Likes

I never had a rice cooker until I moved to Hawaii, where they are ubiquitous. Hardly ever used it, though, except for potlucks, and since leaving there Iā€™m back to stovetop rice. Tried making it in the slow cooker; overcooked it.

2 Likes

We eat a lot of rice so a ricecooker would be great. However, the counterspace is precious so I stick to cooking it on the stove. Iā€™ve got working methods now for both japanese short grained rice and basmati so I donā€™t feel I need it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had this chickpea pasta in heavy rotation lately. The hands-on time is pretty low, and Iā€™m finding I really like it for nights when I donā€™t really want to cook but feel like I need a real meal.

Iā€™ve always used elbow macaroni (because itā€™s what I had on hand originally/is easy to restock) and never bothered with the finishing oil (because Iā€™m lazy). Instead, I just throw some dried rosemary in when I add the water, etc.

5 Likes

I will definitely try this!!

2 Likes

Same! This looks delicious!

2 Likes

I definitely recommend having everything measured out before you start the adding-in steps. Thereā€™s not much hands-on time, but it happens kind of all at once. Also, stirring occasionally during the simmer; I donā€™t remember that being in the recipe, but I do find it sticks a bit.

2 Likes

I recently made this recipe for mini meatloafs. I think I found a new go-to.

I also tried this one for Jamaican Jerk Chicken in the crock pot. I liked it, but it was not a hit in my house.

1 Like

New fave: chicken gyro in a bowl

3 Likes

Now youā€™re talking my language. That looks fab. But the garbanzo beans appear undressed?

1 Like

Yeah I think they are a ā€œtopping.ā€ I actually left those out since I was the only one who would eat them. I also didnā€™t make the cucumber salad, just had cucumber, tomatoes, and onion as topping options too. I also put a dollop of hummus on top. Still delicious.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any simple chicken recipes for picky teens? Either for a crockpot or for the teens to actually cook themselves? My sister needs new ideas.
One wonā€™t eat beans but if it could be made and split into 2 and beans added to one half that would work too.
Sheā€™s kinda at her wits ends and tired of thinking up dinner plans.

2 Likes

Hahahahaha. I feel her pain.

My 11 year old loves my husbandā€™s chicken cutlets. They are super simple:

Ingredients:

• ~1 lb thin sliced chicken breasts (if not thin sliced, slit and pound to desired thickness - sometimes Mr. Road even pounds the thin sliced - the thinner the better!)
  • 1-2 eggs, beaten (start with one, add another if it runs out)
  • 1-2 cups Italian bread crumbs (start with one, add more when you run out)
  • olive oil

Directions:

Dip the prepared chicken in egg then breadcrumbs and place in baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil before baking.

Bake at ~400F (I have to confirm this temp! - Confirmed!) for ~20 minutes, then check. The thinner they are, the faster theyā€™ll cook.

Sometimes he does an egg wash on top, but donā€™t tell the teen! :wink:

He makes it with plain tubettini pasta with butter and parmesan cheese. Pretty kid-friendly.

This recipe is pretty close to what he does.

3 Likes

That might work.
Another kid wonā€™t eat beef. Or ground meat of any type. She,ll eat chicken. Boneless or on the bone. And shredded pork. But not pork chops (sheā€™s on the spectrum and has sensory issues).
Luckily the 3rd kid eats almost anything.

2 Likes

Yeah, kids are tough, man. Mine survive on carbs and dairy! I just hope they come into their tastebuds later in life. Food is sooo good!

2 Likes

If she can get them, frozen/unbreaded chicken wings are about the easiest thing to cook. Pop them frozen on a sheet tray, stick them under the broiler (top rack) for 15 minutes, flip them all, broil 15 minutes again, then toss in just about any sauce (premade buffalo, whatever hot sauce is around, bbq sauce, teriyaki, etc). For some reason Iā€™ve had trouble getting them lately but that might just be our stores. We usually eat them with some salad but if Iā€™m feeling extra Iā€™ll throw some veggies (like chopped carrots drizzled with olive oil) on the sheet tray alongside the chicken.

2 Likes

Also this recipe for sundried tomato chicken pasta was among our favorites back when we ate pasta, and cheeseā€¦but itā€™s really good, and easy!

I also always recommend Budget Bytes for people just starting out cooking - all of her recipes are really straightforward, sheā€™s one of the few bloggers that still does step-by-step pictures, and as the name implies nothing is super fancy expensive (handy when youā€™re learning!).

2 Likes

Those cutlets sound great, I have a meat-fussy teenager too.
One thing we do to satisfy all the different eaters in the house are meals like tacos, burritos, personal pizzas, even stir-fries & omelettes where everybody can put in the things they want & leave out the stuff they donā€™t love. Those dinners are the most fun too. We have a lazy Susan we load up with things and take turns spinning it round to get at the things we want. It can be hilarious :grin:

1 Like

Would they eat chicken tetrazzini? When my kids were young I made chicken filled biscuit dumplings and they loved it. You heat a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of golden mushroom soup and 1.5 cups of water. When the soup is hot you drop dumplings in made of canned biscuits rolled thin and stuffed with shredded cooked chicken, celery and onion. It takes about 15 min for the dumplings to lose their doughiness.

2 Likes