What's Your Jam?

There was a discussion at a local restaurant about strawberry jam vs. grape jelly, offered in packets for customers to spread on their breakfast biscuits. DH and DS1 prefer seedless blackberry jam from local Amish market. I have seen creative names such as Traffic Jam and Christmas Jam on labels. Much can be said for a simple fresh from the oven biscuit slathered in butter, melting into the bread, oozing over the sides. Occasionally I will indulge in a small jar of orange marmalade, as I’m the only one in my home who enjoys it. Thanks to a neighbor’s abundant currant bushes, my mother would make currant jelly, sealing the filled jars with wax.

What do you like on your biscuits, toast, or other breads? Jam, jelly, preserves, marmalade, chutney? I don’t know the precise differences between those but they are all yummy in their own ways.

3 Likes

My grandma used to make seedless blackberry jelly. that was my all time favorite.

From what I understand jelly is made with the juice of fruit. Jam made from crushed fruit and preserves has chunks of fruit.

2 Likes

My sister makes homemade blueberry jelly. Once you have had homemade jams and jellies, anything else seems less tasty and nutritious. I have no idea how long those packets have been sitting in the restaurant and never eat them. I prefer plain butter (not margarine) in that case.

Like you, I am the only one in the family that likes marmalade…so once in a while, I splurge and get the good stuff.

Lately, we have been trying what I call odd mixes…we had Vidalia onion jam that was delicious and recently tried Maple bacon jam as well. I also like apple butters.

1 Like

I love damson plum jam! It’s kinda hard to find though.

1 Like

I prefer jelly but I make jam. It’s called “Oh hot damn, that’s my jam” which is honestly the only reason I make it so I can have a cutesy label for it.
Personally I prefer jelly because of the no seeds, and honestly anything from the Amish market is tops in my book.
Jelly=no seeds
Jam=seeds
Marmalade=pulp
Preserves=whole fruit

2 Likes

Got some delicious plum jam and elderberry jam from the Amish market a few weeks ago. When I visit my relatives in Maine, I always pick up some wild blueberry jam at Nervous Nellies Jams and Jellies. (In addition to fabulous jam and jelly, they also have a resident artist and enchanting junk-sculpture gardens.)

But nothing beats my sister’s homemade apple-apricot jam!

I also often have toast or biscuits with no jam. If I’m out and about and using the packets, seedless blackberry is my first choice, followed by strawberry.

I love almost all fruit!

3 Likes

Lemon marmalade! :lemon:

3 Likes

YAS.

Also, childhood memory of my mom’s apricot jam. Slightly lumpy (the best). Yet to be repeated.

nom, Nom, NOM!

2 Likes

Oh yum!

Agreed, a good homemade batch (of anything really) spoils you for anything else. Those odd mixes can be surprising. The vidalia jam would be good with ham on a sandwich. By coincidence, I had a small jar of maple bacon jam to add to a gift basket for a friend. Maple bacon is a running joke between our two households, stemming from a disastrous batch of maple bacon cookies a few years ago. Then we found maple bacon Pop-Tarts. And so it continues lol.

Can’t say that I’ve happened upon this in my area but will add it to my list of things to try. Is it tart or sweet?

LOLOL!! Brilliant!! And I agree, Amish made things are hard to beat. Thanks for the list!

What a fun road trip that would be! Junk sculptures plus jams is win-win! DH is from Maine and we dream of visiting there. Apple-apricot is an interesting combination.

Sounds luscious! Haven’t tried it yet.

Heaven! Did you try it on ice cream?

Damsons are tart when fresh and make marvelous jam!

1 Like

No, although I should have!

1 Like

My grandma used to make pear preserves. :pear: :green_heart: Soooooo yummy!

2 Likes

I personally like strawberry jam and grape jam. Though, TBH, I’ve never tasted any other kinds.

A big “argument” in our house is jam vs. jelly. DH does the food shopping and always buys jelly. I dislike it because it’s hard to spread and jelly is easier.

What do you think?

1 Like

I love homemade jams, jellies, preserves and marmalade! Having said that, I don’t slather them on biscuits or toast :stuck_out_tongue: I use them in baked goods. Recently, we opened a jar of homemade marionberry preserves that was out of this world. It made an awesome batch of butter thumbprint cookies :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love marionberries!

1 Like

They are special berries! As are huckleberries when we can find them.

And I remember some of your delish honey blueberry jam that didn’t make it to the baked goods stage…it was consumed by the random spoonfuls :laughing:

2 Likes

My go-to for store bought is strawberry or wild berry jam.
My mother-in-law makes jam and basically all of hers are good (the persimmon one wasn’t anyone’s favorite. She hasn’t tried that one again). I even liked the grape jelly and I don’t usually like grape.
We made a bunch of jam for the favors for our wedding last September. We made cherry, blackberry, and blueberry. Cherry seemed to be the crowd favorite!

2 Likes

Sooooo I like apple jelly the best :wink: But Grape is a close second!

2 Likes

My mom made the best raspberry freezer jam … she made it, put it into bottles and stuck it in the freezer until needed. It was fairly thick and best when just barely thawed.

Now I buy wild blueberry preserves when we visit our sons in Atlantic Canada and nothing beats that.

2 Likes

Wonderful gift for your guests!

1 Like