Wheely Applegate coveralls from Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo

While I’d hardly call this “fashion”, it certainly fits into costuming! My husband and I own a Herbie the Love Bug replica, and this weekend he’s off to visit his friend, who is also a Herbie-head, and owns a shop in Sarasota, FL, fixing up old VWs. While my family only cares about the original Herbie film, Merlin (yes, that’s his real name, and yes, he’s a wizard) loves the entire cannon.

For a gift, I replicated the jumpsuit/coveralls of the mechanic/deuteragonist/sidekick played by Don Knotts from Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo. Lacking the time to source the proper patches (DH gave me basically a week), I had to freezer-paper stencil them on. I also added elastic loops for the wrenches that Wheely wears in the film. I’ll provide you with some original photos, and then my replica. Turned out pretty good for a last-minute project, if I do say so myself! And it’s my first project post here in the New Place!

(((Not quite sure how to make all the photos appear how I like…any tips would be appreciated. The drag-and-drop wasn’t working. Mac issue?)))

Here are the patches I was trying to replicate:

!

20 Likes

Herbie!!! Oh, this is so cool. Those patches! You are gonna get wrangled into merit badge swaps for sure! I hope Merlin has a great time.

1 Like

I have no idea what that even means!!! I’m just the freezer-paper stencil gal. Guess I should go search up merit badge swaps.

1 Like

Oh, you’re right. Your stencils look like patches (adult merit badges) and that was a popular swap on the Dead Site. Never mind me. I just got excited at how cool the stencils are.

1 Like

So great! Your model looks pretty pleased, too!

1 Like

Thanks! DH models most things for me. He had quite a fanbase of his own at The Old Place. Plus, a chance to do a Don Knotts impression? He was all over that!

2 Likes

Ok, ok, what? This is superb, sister! You did such a wicked job in barely any time, colour me impressed. And that man of yours? LOL, what a goon! :laughing:

Adult merit badges are super cool, freezer paper stencils would work for making them, and surely you deserve a collection of your own because I can just tell that you are GREAT!

4 Likes

Oh I love this!!! Great job!

Herbie movies and Don Knotts :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The stencilled patches look great! You did an amazing job

1 Like

I don’t know the films, but the recipient is clearly the happiest man on earth right now, so it must be a fantastic replica. :laughing: Well done on the stenciled patches.

2 Likes

This is all kinds of awesome! If it were my husband giving me a week to do this, he would be unable to model it due to the full body cast. You are both kind and talented!

1 Like

You have a Herbie?! This is impressive on so many levels. Awesome work. :star:

1 Like

This just DH modeling! He’s presenting it to the recipient tomorrow! I’m so excited to see his reaction.

1 Like

Guilty. We have a Herbie. You can follow him on the IG: @Lovebugtrumpshate

2 Likes

OMG this is SO adorable! <3

1 Like

Stellar! Herbie definitely rides again lol. Looking forward to seeing the recipient’s reaction and maybe modeling your creation!

1 Like

He loved it! DH took a short video of him opening it (since I couldn’t be there), and it was epic.

2 Likes

You did that in a WEEK?! That’s so amazing!! And your model looks so happy with it!

1 Like

This is a hoot and a half! I bet your friend will be over the moon!

1 Like

Woohoo!! Sounds like a stellar moment!!