White Chili with Chicken

Note: Reposting from Deadster… Where I originally posted so I couldn’t ‘lose’ my recipe. Oh fickle Fate! Thankfully a combination of Pinterest saved links and Internet Archive came to the rescue.

I’ve made several versions of white chili over the years, and some have been good, and some have been bland. This one was AMAZING. I altered a recipe I found on My Fitness Pal, and am mostly posting it here so I can never lose it again. Their version called for chicken breasts, which I find often dry out during a long crock-pot cook, so I switched to chicken thighs which stay nice and moist. I also messed with their technique. Just dumping everything in a crockpot in the morning is convenient, but doesn’t allow for much depth of flavor that often comes from sautéing foods. However, you can easily do the extra cooking steps the night before while cooking that night’s dinner, then put the browned chicken & sautéed onions in the fridge till morning, then dump it all in and turn it on the next day. Trust me, browning the chicken and onions makes all the difference. Well that and the heat from the salsa verde!

White Chili
Crockpot White Chili with Chicken
Ingredients:
1 can great Northern Beans
1 can Cannellini Beans
2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
1 jar of Salsa Verde
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
6 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Stock

Toppings:
Fresh Lime Wedges
Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Avocado, cubed
Green Onions, sliced
Cilantro, chopped
Sour Cream
Tortilla Chips

Chop the onion, and set aside. Pour a layer of salsa verde into the crockpot, and add 1 of the cans of beans.

In a large skillet, heat 1T olive oil over medium or medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken thighs in batches, being sure to unfold the thighs so they brown evenly. Do this in batches so as not to crowd the pan. Remove the chicken and place in the crockpot.

Leaving the browned bits and oil in the pan, pour in the diced onion. Brown the onion until soft and lightly golden, and your whole house smells like heaven. Pour the cooked onions on top of the chicken in the crockpot.

Add the remaining salsa verde, second can of beans, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and chicken broth. Turn the crockpot to low and cook for 6 hours. (I suggest taking this time to get some crafting done, because hey, dinner is taken care of!)

Remove the chicken from the crockpot, and lightly shred with a fork. It will already be falling apart. Place the shredded chicken back into the pot, and stir well.

Serve with any (or all!) of the toppings you like. I greatly enjoyed aged white cheddar, avocado, cilantro, and lime wedges.

7 Likes

Sounds so yummy

Since WFH full time my slow cooker has been working overtime, this looks like a recipe I could do in that. Just in time, I need some new inspiration.
I agree about chicken thighs tasting better.

Avocado in chili sounds like an excellent addition. :green_heart:

I really need to make this. It sounds so good!

I love that it makes so much food. We eat it for a few nights, and freeze the rest in meal sized portions for later in the month. It thaws and reheats wonderfully.

2 Likes

looks like another winner! I am so bored with meals lately…

This sounds so good! I’ve been inspired to go hunting online for a Keto White Chili Chicken recipe :wink:

1 Like